MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 09:40 PM   #1
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Marines invite TD instructors

http://www.okinawa.usmc.mil/Public%2...27-riders.html

Quote:
Riders get revved up for safety during Sport Bike Track Day
Lance Cpl. Thomas W. Provost

MARINE CORPS AIR STATION FUTENMA, Okinawa (February 27, 2009) -- Sounds of motorcycles filled the air at the Sport Bike Track Day events hosted by Marine Corps Base Saturday and Sunday.
Riders from around Okinawa gathered on the flight line here where a track was set up by professional sport bike riding instructors from the California Superbike School in Los Angeles.

The instructors were invited by Marine Corps Base safety officials to come to Okinawa and share their expertise in sport bike handling in an effort to curb motorcycle-related deaths among service members, which is the leading cause of death for Marines, said Pat Tsutomu Yamashiro, training technician with the motorcycle safety section, MCB Installation Safety Office.

Providing advanced training to the Marines and other service members helps safely facilitate the urge for an adrenaline rush that many seek, said 1st Lt. Marc F. Thomas, an air support control officer with Marine Air Support Squadron 2, Marine Air Control Group 18, 1st Marine Aircraft Wing.

The event provided riders a controlled environment to test their own abilities and that of their motorcycles.

"This is safer than doing it on the street, because on the street you run out of concrete," Thomas said. "Here, they set up a track in the middle of a big flat concrete patch. So, if you are moving too fast for the curve, it's [alright]. You can go off the course and still be on concrete."

Utilizing an area without distractions, riders can concentrate on technique and build more confidence in their riding abilities, according to event organizers.

"It gives them a chance to practice things in a really good environment and pay attention to their technique," said Dylan Code, project manager and senior rider coach for the California Superbike School. "This is something that they really don't get to do out on the road. There are too many distractions, other cars, changes in road conditions and weather."

According to Yamashiro, events such as the Sport Bike Track Day events help riders improve their skills and result in fewer mishaps on the road.