MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2009, 09:43 AM   #41
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksaveme View Post
So for my first track day, I can go to Texas Track Day's website and sign up for the Novice group at MSR the 21st and there will be instructor's teaching our group right?

I just don't want to pay for the wrong one, because in the description it just says it's for "experienced road riders, or people who haven't been to the track in a long time" and doesn't say anything about instructionals

Thanks

TexasTrackDays.com
Quote:
you have no prior MOTORCYCLE track experience you MUST register in this group, NO EXCEPTIONS. Designed for street riders and Novice track riders, this group provides valuable on-track and classroom training.

Novice group receives class room and on-track instruction, including critiquing of on-track skills. Instructors will accompany riders on all track sessions. Your instructor will supervise all passing. During your classroom and on-track sessions you will learn the "racing line", proper use of the throttle, braking, gear changes and selection as well as basic cornering techniques and body positioning. Below is a typical Class Room session for the Novice Group.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Choosing Federalism, Choosing Freedom CaJuNsOuLjA The Circus 33 11-13-2009 04:28 PM
New group dedicated to twisty road group rides for beginner to intermediate riders djtrancendance Events, Meets and Rides 56 10-21-2009 03:52 PM
Choosing a wife blends Off Topic 3 10-02-2008 12:02 PM
I need help choosing a guitar hotcknstrips Off Topic 32 09-12-2008 09:32 AM
Choosing a wife BigComfy Off Topic 11 07-11-2007 07:34 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-04-2009, 09:46 AM   #42
quicksaveme

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

done.

even got a membership :-)
quicksaveme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:51 AM   #43
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pre-K View Post
I'll get behind you w/ a camera next time
Thank you!
Quote:
done.

even got a membership :-)
Congrats, you will have fun if you relax take your time and do everything the instuctors tell you. You dont worry about going fast. Get your body position right and the the speed will come. I am still working on body position.
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #44
roja
Roger

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR F4i
SV650 (Track)

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to roja
Good write up! Did just that, signed up for this Saturday's TD in Novice group, I know I can probably ride with Inter.,but I don't know the track, so why push it?
I'm happy to slow it down and learn the reference points and brake points. I'm sure if I'm fast enough the instructors will bump me up if they feel I'm ready.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:53 AM   #45
quicksaveme

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by GABRIEL View Post
Congrats, you will have fun if you relax take your time and do everything the instuctors tell you. You dont worry about going fast. Get your body position right and the the speed will come. I am still working on body position.

I'm really excited. I'm actually really anxious to learn the millions of things that I don't know yet lol
Old 03-04-2009, 09:55 AM   #46
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

I'm really excited. I'm actually really anxious to learn the millions of things that I don't know yet lol
Your gonna have a blast!!!

Just relax and don't try to be the fastest...instead try being the smoothest.

Congrats on your purchase. You are soon to become a track addict.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:57 AM   #47
quicksaveme

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Your gonna have a blast!!!

Just relax and don't try to be the fastest...instead try being the smoothest.

Congrats on your purchase. You are soon to become a track addict.

Old 03-04-2009, 10:05 AM   #48
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by mekrew View Post
i blame brandt still

cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:39 AM   #49
GABRIEL

Feedback Rating: (14)

Quote:

Quote:

Dude, calm down! Dont make me slap you. JK!
GABRIEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:44 AM   #50
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Depending on the day and organization, I'm either at the very top of C or bottom of B group. However, I almost always ride B because the round robin and/or required classes most organizations have for the C group is completely wasted on me. I might be more inclined to stay in C if I didn't have to waste half the morning, every morning.

Just saying. I don't think I hold anyone up in B, but some days I'm at the VERY bottom of the pile.....kinda in that grey area between C and B.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:46 AM   #51
quicksaveme

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Depending on the day and organization, I'm either at the very top of C or bottom of B group. However, I almost always ride B because the round robin and/or required classes most organizations have for the C group is completely wasted on me. I might be more inclined to stay in C if I didn't have to waste half the morning, every morning.

Just saying. I don't think I hold anyone up in B, but some days I'm at the VERY bottom of the pile.....kinda in that grey area between C and B.

now in english
Old 03-04-2009, 10:47 AM   #52
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:

Then you should grab an instructor to help you out and bring you to the front of the pack
Old 03-04-2009, 10:50 AM   #53
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
Then you should grab an instructor to help you out and bring you to the front of the pack
Walking up to the instructor's paddock is actually kind of daunting. I figure if I'm a problem, they'll come find me. My bike is fairly distinct cuz its so ugly, so I'm not hard to come at.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 03-04-2009, 10:51 AM   #54
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
now in english

uh.....The novice groups at most organizations have required class time and/or required "paced" sessions (meaning you have to stay behind an instructor at a very slow speed). These are pretty useless to me at this point so I normally go intermediate to skip them even though I might be riding at the same pace as the novice group.

C=Novice
B=Intermediate
A=Advanced/Race

CMRA #302
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #55
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
uh.....The novice groups at most organizations have required class time and/or required "paced" sessions (meaning you have to stay behind an instructor at a very slow speed). These are pretty useless to me at this point so I normally go intermediate to skip them.
I think this discourages a lot of people from signing up for Novice, but there really is no way around it. With the range of skill in that group (No experience to just a little) it has to be covered. There should be a way to manage those in that group...let the faster groups out first and the slowest groups last. Only problem is GSS is so short it only takes a matter of 5-10 laps to catch up to the back of the pack.

I noticed this predominately at GSS....one instructor may be working with 3 or 4 students with 3 or 4 trackdays under their belt (so they move a bit faster) while another instructor has 2 or 3 totally new track virgins (who move at a very slow pace).
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #56
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Walking up to the instructor's paddock is actually kind of daunting. I figure if I'm a problem, they'll come find me. My bike is fairly distinct cuz its so ugly, so I'm not hard to come at.
Next day I'm at come and find me or let me know you gonna be there. I'll be more than happy to pull you around a few sessions.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:55 AM   #57
quicksaveme

Bike(s):
2014 Multistrada GTS

Quote:
uh.....The novice groups at most organizations have required class time and/or required "paced" sessions (meaning you have to stay behind an instructor at a very slow speed). These are pretty useless to me at this point so I normally go intermediate to skip them even though I might be riding at the same pace as the novice group.

C=Novice
B=Intermediate
A=Advanced/Race
Gotcha
Old 03-04-2009, 11:15 AM   #58
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

which group do the glory hunters go in???????????????????????????
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:16 AM   #59
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:

C=Novice
B=Intermediate
A=Advanced/Race
This is why at TTD, we have sub groups withing the novice group. Everyone's skill level is different, and we recognize that.

All are required to do the round robin the 1st session, but after that, the pace is dictated only by you. we will group you with the group that best fits you. If we have a group that wants to go a bit faster, then that's what we do.

If you would rather ride intermediate, we can put an instructor with you to sharpen your skills and help you feel more relaxed until you are ready to go on your own.

You decide.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2009, 11:23 AM   #60
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Only the first session is round robin. Not sure what org has paced sessions. If you are riding dangerously, you may be asked by an instructor or control rider to slow it down...other than that, it's whatever you feel confortable doing as long as you are respecting the passing rules in place.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote

Advertisement