MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 11:27 AM   #21
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
cause I bought my bike for posin' and pickin' up the slimmy's.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COTA 4/18-19 Track Day Garage MH Neon Samurai Taking it to the Track 8 04-17-2015 07:33 PM
guess who? OLD SCHOOL (MH) TRACK DAY PICS Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 72 08-04-2013 10:45 PM
Members Helping Members 5/4 Meet and Greet Track Day Winners! cdill35 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 05-04-2009 10:13 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2009, 11:28 AM   #22
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
Fuel, increased maintenance costs of doing track days, cost of transportation, if it is not a local track then cost of boarding, cost of gear, ect.
I am not saying get addicted. I am talking about 1 track day.

Track Day cost - cornerwork = free
Gas to local event - $20.00
Gas for Bike - $10.00
Painters Tape - Borrow = Free
Tires - If they arent good enough for the track, well, you need new ones anyway.

And plenty of peeps offering rides.

And frankly, if people believed that doing track days could potentially keep you from making a fatal mistake on the road. The expenses are NOTHING.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #23
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
there is a lot that can be learned corner working as well. This should be mandatory.

You're more likely to be involved in a get off riding street than track. Signing up for a novice group would be very beneficial to your riding skills.

Rent some leathers.
not sure about mandatory, but yes corner working can teach you plenty.

i would disagree with that statement and ask you to show some proof. i have rode and cornerworked quite a number of track days in the past year and the number of off road adventures and crashes is about par to the off roadings and crashes on a forest ride of similar size. albeit the track provides a MUCH safer environment to crash in.

renting leathers = more costs. and renting leathers isn't cheap either. better bet would be to find someone your size that will let you borrow theirs. either way (rent/borrow) if you crash in them guess what you get to buy now.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:29 AM   #24
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Um... Cuz I don't have a ride for the 7th. Got room for one more?

You have a 4 runner AND a trailer. how about hauling a noob to the track?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #25
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:

i would disagree with that statement and ask you to show some proof. i have rode and cornerworked quite a number of track days in the past year and the number of off road adventures and crashes is about par to the off roadings and crashes on a forest ride of similar size. albeit the track provides a MUCH safer environment to crash in.

renting leathers = more costs. and renting leathers isn't cheap either. better bet would be to find someone your size that will let you borrow theirs. either way (rent/borrow) if you crash in them guess what you get to buy now.
Just curious...and BY NO MEANS do track days make ANYONE exempt from crashing. But of all the wrecks I have seen/heard about on the freeways and back roads, they rarley are they track regulars. Track days make peeps better street riders. Period. Would you disagree?

And I am searching from PLENTY OF WOOD to knock on right now!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:31 AM   #26
pelochas

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2004 Kawasaki ZX-6R

dude just stop bouncing all the excuses...what i meant wuz FOR YOU TO PAY MY TRACKDAY...SO WHAT YOUR EXCUSE to open that wallet up and PAY FOR MY TRACKDAY...if you want to work corners and all the rest thats fine...let me know when you PAID MY TRACKDAY so that i can just show up and ride : )
pelochas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:32 AM   #27
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
You have a 4 runner AND a trailer. how about hauling a noob to the track?

BUSTED!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #28
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
PEER PRESSURE
Old 03-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #29
1slocbr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:33 AM   #30
Herf
Drum Geek.

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2010 CBR 1000RR Witch!
Yours
Your Neighbors
Your Neighbors Neighbors
SPCA Lifted

Exclamation PING!

Cdill i pm'd ya for info.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:34 AM   #31
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by 07SLVRCBR View Post
there is a lot that can be learned corner working as well. This should be mandatory.
I agree. I learned a lot from corner working. Even if you're not sure if you want to ever ride the track...you should cornerwork one weekend to see what everyone raves about. And then you will have a credit if you do want to ride so you don't have to pay. And if you're just gonna do one trackday to see if you like it you can rent leathers or even hit up MH to borrow a set of leathers for the day. If you have insurance you shouldn't have to worry about wadding up your bike. Plenty of folks to help you get what you need to get you to and from a local track. You would be surprised how much help you can get if you ask!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #32
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:

Gas for Bike - $10.00
Tires - If they arent good enough for the track, well, you need new ones anyway.

And plenty of peeps offering rides.

And frankly, if people believed that doing track days could potentially keep you from making a fatal mistake on the road. The expenses are NOTHING.
I understand your point and you have some valid remarks on the subject. But all in all all the above listed still takes time and work, which some people don't have. between track days and everything else I do in my life I have little to no free time (and no pw'ing on MH at work doesn't count cause I still have to be AT work. ).

Do I think there is a LOT to be learned at even a single track day, yes. Do I think every single street rider needs to do a track day to make the streets a safer place, no, not really.

Track days do little to better your skills for cagers on the roadway, adverse road, traffic and weather conditions, and a multitude of other things that the everyday street rider runs into that are almost never a concern at a track day. But it will help you get faster and beat everyone else to Yankees. I kid.

But yes I do recommend anyone looking to better their riding skills to do a track day, I don't believe that they HAVE to do so to be safer on the streets.
Old 03-03-2009, 11:35 AM   #33
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #34
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:

$50 leather rental. no deposit. no mandatory purchase if you crash.

Boots are $25.00
Old 03-03-2009, 11:36 AM   #35
level5
moving chicane

I am just a poser. My pretty bike will attract others and get compliments. I will save that money for the honeys.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #36
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slocbr View Post
If you would have started a thread saying the sky is blue, Pyro would have jumped in saying it is green. Its useless Brandt.

haha.
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #37
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

There is a supersecret way to get a free leather rental for your first trackday if that promotion is still in effect. Is it Cdill?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:37 AM   #38
GQ*
Destiny's daddy!

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2008 Ninja 250r (sold)
2005 Suzuki SV650s (totaled)
2007 ZX6r (sold)

Member Garage

I won a track day last year, but b/c of the stupid storm and busy weekends I ended up having to give it up. My only problem is cash & time. Need cash to pay for everything and time to take out to earn credits or even do the track day.

BUT I don't use those as excuses not to do it, I still want/plan to do a track day when I can get out there
Old 03-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #39
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Just curious...and BY NO MEANS do track days make ANYONE exempt from crashing. But of all the wrecks I have seen/heard about on the freeways and back roads, they rarley are they track regulars. Track days make peeps better street riders. Period. Would you disagree?

And I am searching from PLENTY OF WOOD to knock on right now!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think we may be looking at this from 2 different points of view.

The person that rides street (in the sense they go ride crabb and the forest and 3090, yes! because if your gonna haul on twisty backroads it sure helps to at least know what your doing. ) but in the sense that someone who rides to just ride (maybe they go on long trips, maybe they commute, maybe they just like riding around town on the weekends) no, i don't think that a person who has done a track day will automatically be a better rider in that situation then say someone who has been riding cycles for 10-20-30 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slocbr View Post
If you would have started a thread saying the sky is blue, Pyro would have jumped in saying it is green. Its useless Brandt.
I don't even know you but I find your assumed logic of mine to be hilarious!
Old 03-03-2009, 11:39 AM   #40
CubanGIXXER
R.I.P. Burns

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 Suzuki GSXR 600

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to CubanGIXXER Send a message via Yahoo to CubanGIXXER
Quote:

Gas for Bike - $10.00
you forgot to include leathers ... i can probably assure you that if they havent done a track day, they dont have full leathers. i know you can rent some, but even thats at least $100

and as far as tires ... even if you have new or good cond. tires, by the end of the track day, your tires will be done with and then have to buy new tires! tires which you wouldnt have had to buy for a long time if you hadnt done the track day.

and then, theres people that have new bikes that are less than 2 years old, and are making payments on, and like to keep looking in mint condition and are worried that if they are on the track, you will either push your limits trying to learn and lay your bike, or some other idiot on the track is trying to push their limits and crash into you. yes i know that anything can happen on the roads too ... but its different.

but i tell you what ... you pay for my leather rentals, and buy my a new set of tires and i will do some corner working and do a track day! ... deal???
CubanGIXXER is offline   Reply With Quote