MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 08:34 PM   #361
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrayJ View Post
I can't wait to do a trackday, and I am almost positive I will become a better rider because of it.

On that note I wish TTD woulda told me about the half off rental leathers for first timers. That was one of the reasons for not making it to GSS.

I have heard GSS is good for the ninja 250, any other suggestions for tracks that would be good for it? On that note I'm going to the sponsor section to see what session I can get signed up to do some cornerworking!
Any track!
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COTA 4/18-19 Track Day Garage MH Neon Samurai Taking it to the Track 8 04-17-2015 07:33 PM
guess who? OLD SCHOOL (MH) TRACK DAY PICS Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 72 08-04-2013 10:45 PM
Members Helping Members 5/4 Meet and Greet Track Day Winners! cdill35 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 05-04-2009 10:13 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2009, 08:38 PM   #362
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
I would love to a track day but its money. I know you can rent leathers but you need gloves that go past you wrist, proper boots ,& preparing the bike. After a track day whats left of you tires? I want to real bad i ain't skurred just cant afford it now.
it took me a while but i pieced my leathers together. bought my pants and boots off of a guy here on MH, got my jacket online and bought my gloves from patrick. im still riding on my set of tires i did my track day on, and that was back in august.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:39 PM   #363
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I still havent found the key to "knowing limits." I know them, they are the point just before I "exceeded" them.

we are whoring the outta this thread! lol
on the contrary, this one is actually staying on topic.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:40 PM   #364
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
it took me a while but i pieced my leathers together. bought my pants and boots off of a guy here on MH, got my jacket online and bought my gloves from patrick. im still riding on my set of tires i did my track day on, and that was back in august.
So it's not a strict requirement or track rule to have one piece leathers?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #365
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
on the contrary, this one is actually staying on topic.

Only cause every now and then someone comes in here with a real post regarding the initial topic, which was..... , I forgot.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #366
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNinja650 View Post
no they dont have to be one piece.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #367
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:

nope. 2 piece is ok.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:42 PM   #368
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Nope my leathers are 2 piece.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #369
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

Only cause every now and then someone comes in here with a real post regarding the initial topic, which was..... , I forgot.
well, "track day" is somewhere in the title, so its close enough.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:43 PM   #370
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Bike(s):

Quote:
no they dont have to be one piece.
Thank you. That is cool to know. They do have to be leathers though right? No textile mesh?
Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #371
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Thank you. That is cool to know. They do have to be leathers though right? No textile mesh?
Yes. They must be leather at almost all track orgs. And if it is a 2 piece I believe they require that the top and bottom zip together all the way around.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:44 PM   #372
nchristie

Bike(s):
2012 Triumph Tiger 800

Track days excuses

Track days good.

Crashing? Ride your own pace, you're not racing - and the probability of crash is less than on the street.

Cost? Corner work. Or just suck it up - it costs less than a speeding ticket.

Tires? At the beginner level, 4+ track days on a set of tires. Easy.

Leathers? Depending on the organization, a 2-piece suit is fine. And if you're as good as you think you are, you should have proper gear anyway. Again, suck it up - it's a cost of riding.

Travel? What - spending a day getting to a track, riding, and getting home isn't a use of time? Just don't get hammered the night before, get to bed early, get up at a decent hour and trailer your bi\ke there. U-Haul open trailers are less than $30.

My first track day - I was intimidated as the first lap or three, until I figired fuggit - I paid my money, it's not a race, focus on what I needed to do to ride better. Smoother, braking points, turn-in-points, apexes. They ALL apply to the road. The control riders were helpful when I asked, and I have not fallen down yet (ran off twice, though - once at VIR in Virginia in the rain onto the clay/grass/mud - so slippery the rear tire spun when the bike was idling). Use your head, open your mind, and L-E-A-R-N.

Neil
nchristie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 08:45 PM   #373
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
Yes. They must be leather at almost all track orgs. And if it is a 2 piece I believe they require that the top and bottom zip together all the way around.
Thanks Ryan.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:49 PM   #374
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
yes leather. the more track days you do, the more likely it becomes that you are going down. so even if mesh were allowed, you wouldnt wanna use it anyway.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:54 PM   #375
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchristie View Post
Track days good.

Crashing? Ride your own pace, you're not racing - and the probability of crash is less than on the street.

Leathers? Depending on the organization, a 2-piece suit is fine. And if you're as good as you think you are, you should have proper gear anyway. Again, suck it up - it's a cost of riding.

Travel? What - spending a day getting to a track, riding, and getting home isn't a use of time? Just don't get hammered the night before, get to bed early, get up at a decent hour and trailer your bike there. U-Haul open trailers are less than $30.

My first track day - I was intimidated as the first lap or three, until I figired fuggit - I paid my money, it's not a race, focus on what I needed to do to ride better. Smoother, braking points, turn-in-points, apexes. They ALL apply to the road. The control riders were helpful when I asked, and I have not fallen down yet (ran off twice, though - once at VIR in Virginia in the rain onto the clay/grass/mud - so slippery the rear tire spun when the bike was idling). Use your head, open your mind, and L-E-A-R-N.

Neil
Old 03-03-2009, 08:56 PM   #376
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sl!mP!ckens! View Post
I'm gonna say it like this, I wasn't impressed by anybody really that told me to take it to the track before. Then I ran into this one guy who seriously cooked it and looked like he knew what he was doing. I ask him if the track would really make me better and he said yes. So I took his advice and help and signed up. So maybe you just gotta hear it from the right person before you really take it seriously.

Oh ya and the "anti" track sentiments come from reading the RIP threads were you start feeling that hateful "holier than though" attitude come through from the "I only ride track guys". They are probably great guys but maybe could be a little more tactful sometimes. But hey I'm not trying to judge cause I do way to many things wrong in my life to pick on someone else. If you know me you know that's the truth. I was just kind of stating were that comes from in my case.

Seat time is seat time so count me in...

True dat. Trying to chase Jxxxy on backroads coupled with his persistence got me to my first one.
Old 03-03-2009, 08:58 PM   #377
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Bike(s):

Quote:
yes leather. the more track days you do, the more likely it becomes that you are going down. so even if mesh were allowed, you wouldn't wanna use it anyway.
I want to experience a track day or two but I also want to be well protected. Come March, I'll be taking ERC here in College Station. After that I want to look into taking some form of class to help me with track.(what to expect and educate)
I really want to get into track. I'm shooting for the start of the season for next year. Going to start putting away cash for gear for me and the bike.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:00 PM   #378
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
I want to experience a track day or two but I also want to be well protected. Come March, I'll be taking ERC here in College Station. After that I want to look into taking some form of class to help me with track.(what to expect and educate)
I really want to get into track. I'm shooting for the start of the season for next year. Going to start putting away cash for gear for me and the bike.
the track day organizations all have class room sessions and break everthing down for you. youll be well taken care of.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #379
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by nchristie View Post
Track days good.

Travel? What - spending a day getting to a track, riding, and getting home isn't a use of time? Just don't get hammered the night before, get to bed early, get up at a decent hour and trailer your bike there. U-Haul open trailers are less than $30.

Neil
da truff.
Old 03-03-2009, 09:01 PM   #380
GrayJ
Do a barrel roll!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2004 SV650
1998 Shadow 1100
2005 CRF450R tard
2007 CRF50
Yamaha PW 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
As far as local tracks. I think MSRH would be a better place for the 250 than TWS (Texas World Speedway). TWS (Texas World Speedway) is a very fast track. That's not to say you can't take the 250 out there and still have a blast cause you wouldn't be the first or last.
Based on that reccomendation I just sent an email to cornerwork Ride Smart's 4-4 TWS (Texas World Speedway) event, and will hopefully redeem that credit on 4-25 at MSRH.

Good looking out.

Gonna be a 3-4 hour drive for both of these places for me with a vehicle that does about 12 miles to the gallon. But it's all for the sake of hauling on a closed course without crazy cagers, and I can't wait!
GrayJ is offline   Reply With Quote