MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 07:05 PM   #301
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COTA 4/18-19 Track Day Garage MH Neon Samurai Taking it to the Track 8 04-17-2015 07:33 PM
guess who? OLD SCHOOL (MH) TRACK DAY PICS Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 72 08-04-2013 10:45 PM
Members Helping Members 5/4 Meet and Greet Track Day Winners! cdill35 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 05-04-2009 10:13 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #302
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
he was rear ended......how is not watching what is going on around you not your fault?

And I am in no bashing Fuller. I thnk he is a cool guy. Just wondering.
1. he, like the rest of men on the entire planet, would never imagine being rearended on his bike by his SO.

2. nobody, to my knowledge, has eyes in the back of their heads

3. the track doesnt teach you how to be psychic.

4. when most people ride, they keep their eyes on the road ahead of them, only checking the mirrors on occasion. we dont ride with our eyes glued to the mirrors.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:07 PM   #303
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
correct me if i'm wrong, but is the only place you can learn these things is on the track? I'm pretty sure i knew all of these things from riding on the street... hmm...
Who said the track was the only place you can learn these things, Fuller? I said it is a place you CAN learn those things. I also believe the learning is a little more intensive on the track. For example, how often do people really brake hard on the street? Rarely. And when they do it's an emergency. At the track you do it multiple times a lap.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:09 PM   #304
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
I somewhat agree, but i think a good deal of how safe a person is depends a great deal directly on how responsible of a rider they are.

Like I said all along, I agree that track days make you a better rider, but track days are not the only way a person can be a safer rider on the street.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #305
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbfuller View Post
correct me if i'm wrong, but is the only place you can learn these things is on the track? I'm pretty sure i knew all of these things from riding on the street... hmm...

and i still didn't get an answer from anybody about listing just one person that has done 60K miles on the track with only 1 minor accident. you are more likely to wreck your bike on the track than on the street. with that goes an insurance claim, and then more money for an insurance premium. show me a way to completely trash a bike on the track and not have to pay any extra, then I'll do another track day. anyone want to loan me a bike? ****if i wreck it, there will be no extra charge to me at all**** I'll just give you an "i'm sorry"
You got an answer from me dude. i said we are talking about 1 track day. Not 60k worth. And congratulations on your 60k miles with 1 minor accident. That is fantastic.

It is always great to take 1 exception to the rule, and start a movement behind it. My grandpa smoked 40 years and never got cancer. I guess cigarettes don't cause cancer...at least not for 40 years.

Thanks to your post, I will now go purchase a bicycle and practice sliding the rear. Then I will hop on a motard and show Mekrew how to do it right. Since I learned when I was 5, on a bicycle.

Last edited by cdill35; 03-03-2009 at 07:14 PM.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:11 PM   #306
MudBug
Banned

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

Old 03-03-2009, 07:16 PM   #307
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
1. true but happens
2. nope but I do watch what is around me, even more so when coming to a stop
3. I wish it did and nobody said it did
4. refer back to #2.

But a wreck is wreck. Same thing with Princess. He did not know that he was going to do what he did. So is that Princess's wreck?
youre veering off the point. the subject is how track riding makes you a better rider. since you do not use mirrors on the track, how exactly does it teach you how to not be rear ended? and how do you know if youre gonna be rear ended anyways? i look in my mirrors when i am stopped and you know what i see? i see a car coming up on me, LIKE ITS SUPPOSED TO. in that half second between the time you know youre gonna be hit and the time you actually get hit, theres really nothing you can do, unless the guy doesnt slow down at all and that is something you can notice from a distance.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:24 PM   #308
Triple

Member Garage

HEY, EVERYONE SIGN UP NOW!!! CDILL IS GOING TO PAY FOR EVERYONES CLASSES YAY!!!! Me first 1.Triple 2.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:26 PM   #309
MudBug
Banned

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

Old 03-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #310
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple View Post
HEY, EVERYONE SIGN UP NOW!!! CDILL IS GOING TO PAY FOR EVERYONES CLASSES YAY!!!! Me first 1.Triple 2.
You can cornerwork.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:29 PM   #311
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer Geezer View Post
true... i have been riding motorcycles since 1964. way before most of you were born... only track i have been on is dirt tracks... and i must be some sort of good safe rider to still be around after all these years on the streets

now watch me get wadded up by a cager ... damnit... ok carry on...

This was my point!!!! There are multiple people on this site who have been riding motorcycles longer than many of us here have been alive. I have ridden with 2 of our old timers and they are by far some of the safest people i have ridden with hands down. I would argue, (this is from my own personal experience riding with many people on this board) that the two older gentleman I have ridden with from here are by far safer street riders than many people I have ridden with who have "done a track day".

Which is why I find it funny that several people on here still agree with the statement that "any person who has done a track day is a safer street rider than any person who hasn't". its hilarious.

It's like saying any person who has ever fired a gun before will be more likely to hit their target than someone who hasn't. While it may be a trend or pattern it is not by any means a fact and is not something that could ever be proven.

Last edited by Pyrofallout; 03-03-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:31 PM   #312
shsu1k

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
04 GSXR 750

shsu1k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 07:32 PM   #313
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Not really sure how anyone can disagree that Track Days wont make you a better, safer rider. I mean , if it's nothing else...it's seat time.

But it's all good. Maybe this thread raised some awareness. Maybe people think I am a dcik now. Maybe people think I am an elitest. It's whatever for me.

I know my intentions are pure.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:33 PM   #314
shsu1k

Bike(s):
04 GSXR 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Not really sure how anyone can disagree that Track Days wont make you a better, safer rider. I mean , if it's nothing else...it's seat time.

But it's all good. Maybe this thread raised some awareness. Maybe people think I am a dcik now. Maybe people think I am an elitest. It's whatever for me.

i understand where your coming front. You make a valid point.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #315
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
Quote:
Which is why I find it funny that several people on here still agree with the statement that "any person who has done a track day is a safer street rider than any person who hasn't". its hilarious.
They have skills to avoid situations and adapt to road conditions better.

However, most who hit the track pipe will be riding more aggressively then street riders going out for a ride. It is the choice of individual riders, not generalizations.

I am a pretty safe rider but choose when Im by myself or away from everyone to act a little stupid when I feel like it.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #316
MudBug
Banned

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

Old 03-03-2009, 07:34 PM   #317
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:

I think, for you, the issue is around the word "safer" vs. "responsible". And I think "better" rider or perhaps "more capable" rider would fit better for your liking.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #318
shsu1k

Bike(s):
04 GSXR 750

I believe that along with a safe and successful trackday, comes confidence in your everyday riding.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:36 PM   #319
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:

I know your intentions where not ill. We both are pretty much on the same page. I completely agree that there is a ton that any person can learn from doing a track day. I love track days and I recommend them to anyone who wants to have more fun then they have ever had on 2 wheels.

I just can't believe that some people truly think that any person who has done a track day will be safer on the streets than someone who hasn't. It is a incorrect generalization.
Old 03-03-2009, 07:38 PM   #320
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
I think, for you, the issue is around the word "safer" vs. "responsible". And I think "better" rider or perhaps "more capable" rider would fit better for your liking.
It's not an argument over my wording. Several people have stated agreement to that same statement I have said multiple times I believe to be incorrect.

You cannot make the assumption that no matter what, any person who has done a track day will be safer on the streets than someone who hasn't.

My point is that is incorrect.