MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2009, 04:28 PM   #261
1slocbr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
COTA 4/18-19 Track Day Garage MH Neon Samurai Taking it to the Track 8 04-17-2015 07:33 PM
guess who? OLD SCHOOL (MH) TRACK DAY PICS Solracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 72 08-04-2013 10:45 PM
Members Helping Members 5/4 Meet and Greet Track Day Winners! cdill35 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 05-04-2009 10:13 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-03-2009, 04:29 PM   #262
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shsu1k View Post
I'm thinking of signing up for a ride smart class at TWS (Texas World Speedway).

what can i expect? an hour of track time? how long? in class learning? details please!!

thanks for ya'lls input guys...i appreciate it!
You can expect 105 minutes of track time and 120 minutes of classroom. Roughly. Check out the sponsor sections as this thread is genuinely about getting peeps to the track with ANY ORGANIZATION!
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:30 PM   #263
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
OK, I'm confused.
I changed my thought....

"Track days will not make you a safer ride."

"Better yet, track days WILL make you a safer rider but not a more responsible rider, per se."
Old 03-03-2009, 04:32 PM   #264
lilmckee
Not part of the wannbes

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I changed my thought....

"Better yet, track days WILL make you a safer rider but not a more responsible rider, per se."
werd

cdill should be barred from the streets

fast mother fker

where is mckee?
lilmckee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:33 PM   #265
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post
werd

cdill should be barred from the streets

fast mother fker

werd!

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #266
jcat
Banned

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
06 KLX110 Motard
07 KLX110 Motard Project
92 Z50

User is banned

jcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #267
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
I changed my thought....

I somewhat agree, but i think a good deal of how safe a person is depends a great deal directly on how responsible of a rider they are.

Like I said all along, I agree that track days make you a better rider, but track days are not the only way a person can be a safer rider on the street.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #268
1slocbr
Banned

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

Old 03-03-2009, 04:35 PM   #269
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
I think you took that in the wrong context. Will a track day make someone who is going to drive on backroads no matter what they do safer? Maybe, but there is alot of other ways to ensure one's safety and my point is a track day is not the bar all answer to that. The best way to insure one's safety is to start by riding safe. You cannot make the assumption that no matter what, any person who has done a track day will be safer on the streets than someone who hasn't. I am not saying I have not done high speed on backroads, or that anyone is a terrible person for doing such.
We're not far off. But I have to respectfully disagree with your bolded statement.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:36 PM   #270
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
YOU WILL...it's the inevitable. Perhaps that why some don't try the track. They hear about all the people who have given up the streets for the track and they don't want to go that route in fear that they'll be broke like the rest of us.
Yep. I purchased my second bike in October of 07. Before the summer of 08 the bike had over 11k miles on it. Shortly after that I started trackdays. My bike currently is at 13k something miles.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #271
Gixxer Geezer
All day long I'm shufflin

Bike(s):
06 honda vtx 1300
06 Busa limited. sold
2 Gixxer 600. sold
85 Honda Hurricane. sold
56 Triumph, 64 BSA, Thunderbolt, 66 BSA Lightning Bolt, 64 Honda Scrambler. all sold

Quote:
I somewhat agree, but i think a good deal of how safe a person is depends a great deal directly on how responsible of a rider they are.

Like I said all along, I agree that track days make you a better rider, but track days are not the only way a person can be a safer rider on the street.

true... i have been riding motorcycles since 1964. way before most of you were born... only track i have been on is dirt tracks... and i must be some sort of good safe rider to still be around after all these years on the streets

now watch me get wadded up by a cager ... damnit... ok carry on...

What part of "I Don't Care", Don't you Understand?
Gixxer Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:37 PM   #272
1slocbr
Banned

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

Old 03-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #273
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I love it....2 trackday events done so far to start the 2009 season....

BS is already beginning to fly....I love this place. lol
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:38 PM   #274
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
We're not far off. But I have to respectfully disagree with your bolded statement.
And that's fine, we will just agree to disagree on that.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #275
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

i can def tell the difference between (myself who has done a TD) and those who have not. And after my first TD, I rode with some buddies who had only seen me ride during my first two months as a rider, and they said I was like night and day. It looked like i knew exactly what i was doing...and like I had been doing it for years.

I say the reasons you ask about are obvious, they can't spend the money, and they don't want to crash their baby/pride and joy.

btw...here's me at my first TD a year ago (almost to the day)

man i thought i had that bike leaned over!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	n8330791_45220502_7484.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	20165  

Last edited by matemike; 03-03-2009 at 04:44 PM.
matemike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2009, 04:41 PM   #276
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:

I AGREE!!! Wooooooooo hooooooooooooo!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 04:42 PM   #277
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

i dont see what the fuss is. pressuring people to ride the track (which is NOT cheap, even if you do corner working) so that they can be so-called safer on the street seems crazy to me. whatever happened to "to each his own"? why does it matter? it seems that track riding gives people a false sense of security when riding the back roads. they ride fast on teh track, then it transfers to the street. i cant help but get the impression that "if you dont ride track, you are stupid because you should do what we do". am i wrong in thinking this? i mean, this topic has been beaten to death.

me personally, i didnt buy a $8k machine just so i can take it to private property, pay $150 a day plus all other expenses, and wreck it. seems very expensive. i WISH i could afford it, but i cant. and even if i could, i have four kids at home so i dont have all this free time you guys have. i did a track day and had a friggin blast, but my bike will never see another track day. ill buy an old junker for that so that i can have some fun without being afraid of tearing it up. i bought my bike for the freedom of riding. to enjoy it. to ride with friends. to make new friends. not to have it sitting in the garage for 6 out of 7 days a week. im not trashing anyone by any means but i cant help but notice a bit of elitism coming from some. why cant yall just let it go? why does it matter if people do track or not?

the day i give up street riding is the day i flat line.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #278
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
i dont see what the fuss is. pressuring people to ride the track (which is NOT cheap, even if you do corner working) so that they can be so-called safer on the street seems crazy to me. whatever happened to "to each his own"? why does it matter? it seems that track riding gives people a false sense of security when riding the back roads. they ride fast on teh track, then it transfers to the street. i cant help but get the impression that "if you dont ride track, you are stupid because you should do what we do". am i wrong in thinking this? i mean, this topic has been beaten to death.

me personally, i didnt buy a $8k machine just so i can take it to private property, pay $150 a day plus all other expenses, and wreck it. seems very expensive. i WISH i could afford it, but i cant. and even if i could, i have four kids at home so i dont have all this free time you guys have. i did a track day and had a friggin blast, but my bike will never see another track day. ill buy an old junker for that so that i can have some fun without being afraid of tearing it up. i bought my bike for the freedom of riding. to enjoy it. to ride with friends. to make new friends. not to have it sitting in the garage for 6 out of 7 days a week. im not trashing anyone by any means but i cant help but notice a bit of elitism coming from some. why cant yall just let it go? why does it matter if people do track or not?

the day i give up street riding is the day i flat line.
Don't listen to this guy. He got slapped by a girl named Brena!
Old 03-03-2009, 04:45 PM   #279
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

FWIW, after my track day, i got slower on the street because it scared the out of me, and i didnt like that at all.

oh and i do love coming to the track and hanging out with you guys. i always have a of a time even tho im not riding. especially brandt. thats one sexy in leathers.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:47 PM   #280
texasyankee

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

Quote:
Wasn't gonna say it but since it seems this thread has lost all touch and will likely be locked soon, and I am not trying to personally call out anyone here. But it is funny to me that many of the people in here that seem to agree with this argument that track riding makes you "safer" on the street period, are some of the same people that do double, triple the limit on back roads. Seems to be there is nothing "safe" about doing that, no matter how many track days one has had.
I can barely do triple digits on my Harley but doing track days on my SV 650 has made me a much better rider. Cornering skills are just as important on a ponderous bike at 60 mph as on a quick fast bike at 120 mph.

For the guy who asked about doing a track day on a Sportster: I've seen a woman on a fully chromed Harley Vrod do a track day. She thought it helped her a lot.

People have different goals: some want to be racers and some just want to corner better. Track days can accomodate both goals.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote