MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2009, 12:23 PM   #1
FKNA

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Tank Slapper Theory

I tend to watch a lot of videos of motorcycle crashes. I do so in order to make myself a better ride, in order to try to figure out how I might be able to avoid the crash if I ever find myself in a similar situations. For a long time I have studied tank slappers. In a lot of the videos I have seen where someone gets thrown off the bike due to a tank slapper I have noticed as soon as they get bucked off the bike straightens up and keeps on going. I developed a theory that if I ever found myself in a tank slapper situation that the best thing to do is to let go and do nothing. Yesterday my theory was put to the test. I found myself facing a tank slapper at 120mph. So I did just that, I let go of the bars. The tank slapping stopped, I grabbed the bars and continued on. I am not advocating that is the correct thing to do, who knows maybe I just got lucky. But if I find myself in another tank slapper situation, I will do it again, just let go.
FKNA is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
tank slapper Javi Stunters Lounge 27 01-17-2008 04:45 PM
Is this a Tank Slapper? RinasDaddy General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 11-23-2007 11:46 AM
tank slapper golf cart Javi Off Topic 6 05-16-2007 10:58 AM
tank slapper? gixxer6 Stunters Lounge 11 02-27-2006 05:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 03-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #2
Brandon

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2011 R6
2007 R6 (sold)
1983 XR-250R (sold)

That's what I've heard also, loosen your grip or completely let go and hold on with your legs. Sometimes it happens so fast especially at 100+ that it's difficult to react quick enough.

Glad you were able to save it.
Brandon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 12:30 PM   #3
1slocbr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:43 PM   #4
AggieCBR
The token aggie

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
04 CRF 50
08 CBR600RR (Graffiti Edition)-SOLD

I had one at between 60-70mph before and i just got off the throttle and let the bike do it's thing and it quit pretty quick. Luckily i was close to home to change into fresh underwear!

RIP Coachdave - April 5,2009
Coachdave passed me on the left
AggieCBR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 01:56 PM   #5
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
GPR FTW! lol i wouldnt want to let go without a steering dampener
Old 03-01-2009, 02:36 PM   #6
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

keep weight off the front. That's the science
Solracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 02:59 PM   #7
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by FKNA View Post
I tend to watch a lot of videos of motorcycle crashes. I do so in order to make myself a better ride, in order to try to figure out how I might be able to avoid the crash if I ever find myself in a similar situations. For a long time I have studied tank slappers. In a lot of the videos I have seen where someone gets thrown off the bike due to a tank slapper I have noticed as soon as they get bucked off the bike straightens up and keeps on going. I developed a theory that if I ever found myself in a tank slapper situation that the best thing to do is to let go and do nothing. Yesterday my theory was put to the test. I found myself facing a tank slapper at 120mph. So I did just that, I let go of the bars. The tank slapping stopped, I grabbed the bars and continued on. I am not advocating that is the correct thing to do, who knows maybe I just got lucky. But if I find myself in another tank slapper situation, I will do it again, just let go.
There are some skills and luck that goes hand in hand with controlling a tank slapper. Tank slapper at 120mph???? That's more luck than skill. Glad you didn't crash, it would have been a nasty one.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:01 PM   #8
ALEXD
HOUSTUNNAS

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 R6
SOLD-00 GSXR 750 StreetFighter
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
SOLD-01 YAMAHA R6
03 600 RR

what is the main cause of a tankslapper? in my 3 years of riding i have never gotten maybe a mini version of one but not a good tankslapper
ALEXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:06 PM   #9
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEXD View Post
what is the main cause of a tankslapper? in my 3 years of riding i have never gotten maybe a mini version of one but not a good tankslapper
front tires off the ground slightly from wheelies or anything causing a lift, wheel crooked.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:08 PM   #10
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I have a dampner, but I have heard that they can actually make the slapper worse. They give input to the chassis which is the last thing you need during a slapper. Fortunately I have never had a "tank slapper". Headshake, yes, but a severe slapper like videos I see, no. Wait...actually I set a wheelie down once at and had a lil poke it's head out, but it was nothing like what I have seen, via video, others experience.

I think people get the two confused. Or maybe I am confused. Forget about me...carry on.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:16 PM   #11
ALEXD
HOUSTUNNAS

Bike(s):
05 R6
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
SOLD-01 YAMAHA R6
03 600 RR

confuzed, me too I agree thats weird because I do wheelies all the time and have never encountered this problem i have done them in first gear and second gear 60+ mph stand ups am i just lucky? do i automatically just know how to control my bike well ? is the landing the cause ?
Old 03-01-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
confuzed, me too I agree thats weird because I do wheelies all the time and have never encountered this problem i have done them in first gear and second gear 60+ mph stand ups am i just lucky? do i automatically just know how to control my bike well ? is the landing the cause ?
I'm no stunter, but I have heard this comment and I practice it.

"You have to put as much, if not MORE effort into setting a wheelie down as you do getting it up"

I try to make sure I am accellerating, my bike is straight and my wheel is straight before I set it down.

I dont do slow wheelies tho.
I dont know how.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:25 PM   #13
level5
moving chicane

Quote:

If you are putting your wheel down crooked you will get it.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:27 PM   #14
ALEXD
HOUSTUNNAS

Bike(s):
05 R6
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
SOLD-01 YAMAHA R6
03 600 RR

"You have to put as much, if not MORE effort into setting a wheelie down as you do getting it up"

I try to make sure I am accellerating, my bike is straight and my wheel is straight before I set it down.

AHHHH CDIL Son you have mastered the theory of tankslapper Now, go wash your bike and remember wax on wax off !

no really that sounds about right when doing fast wheelies, i can barely do a slow on myself but for highspeeds i think this is the best approach when landing
Old 03-01-2009, 03:34 PM   #15
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Yep, putting the wheel down crooked can definitely cause it. That's how mine happened. I wasn't doing an intentional wheelie, just getting down on it. Front wheel only came off the ground by a few inches, gust of wind hit me from the side at the same time, and down I come crooked. It slapped 3 times on me, once to the left (that's when I let go), once to the right then once more to the left before it straightened up. I also have an Ohlins damper in which I keep set on about 4.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:35 PM   #16
huyzel

Bike(s):
2006 CBR 1000rr

there was a training video or something that i have seen.. not sure what it was called but the guy demonstrated a tank slapper at like 80 mph and showed how the bike was still stable and corrected it by itself. he was on a cruiser not a sport bike but it was pretty cool. i've been caught in a few and i just let it correct itself.. its kinda crazy when it happens but u get use to it.
huyzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2009, 03:36 PM   #17
FKNA

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1
2008 Goldwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by huyzel View Post
there was a training video or something that i have seen.. not sure what it was called but the guy demonstrated a tank slapper at like 80 mph and showed how the bike was still stable and corrected it by itself. he was on a cruiser not a sport bike but it was pretty cool. i've been caught in a few and i just let it correct itself.. its kinda crazy when it happens but u get use to it.

If you come across that video, post it up. I would like to see it
Old 03-01-2009, 03:38 PM   #18
ALEXD
HOUSTUNNAS

Bike(s):
05 R6
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
SOLD-01 YAMAHA R6
03 600 RR

so who here would recomend a dampner ? wich would you recomend out of a dampner or stabilizer
Old 03-01-2009, 03:50 PM   #19
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
so who here would recomend a dampner ? wich would you recomend out of a dampner or stabilizer
they are the same.
Old 03-01-2009, 03:55 PM   #20
1slocbr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned