Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Aut inveniam viam aut fac
Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 3 years

2008 Suzuki GSX650F - sold

Member Garage

adding temp gauge?

How involved would it be to add a real temp gauge to a bike that doesn't have one? Can it be done cleanly?

For example mine only has an warning light - I would think that by the time this comes on damage is already being done?

Several times while in traffic the fans have come on which makes me think the engine is getting too hot and its only February.
web banner 392x72

Motorcycling in itself is not inherently dangerous. But to an even greater degree than the sea, it is terribly unforgiving of any carelessness, incapacity or neglect.
bioGuru is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Adding some zoom to my speed. Squidly Car Forum 8 07-07-2014 01:15 PM
2002 CBR F4I:: Temp gauge problems mr.tony86 How To's and Q & A's 2 06-03-2011 03:46 PM
Adding to the addiction mcd Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 4 08-31-2008 08:26 AM
Adding to the MH Familia BusaFlo Off Topic 33 04-04-2008 03:23 PM
Adding accessories to your bike Swift E General Discussion (Moto Related) 28 10-10-2005 04:39 PM
Old 02-26-2009, 10:05 PM   #2
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Fans will always come on once airflow over the radiator is reduced, it’s normal. Your light will probably never come on. And it’ll be just fine. As soon as the fans come on the temp begins to drop. Too many people worry about this but it’s not a real problem. The engineers have it covered. Just be glad you have a radiator and fans. Just change your coolant at the proper intervals.
GodDamnit there's always such a big temptation to be good, to be good! (Tom Waits)
Wormgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2009, 10:19 PM   #3
Feedback Rating: (8)

Trackdays: 10+

2015 KTM Adventure 1190
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker
2007 KTM 300 XC smoker

Member Garage

For someone with the right tools it wouldn't be hard. All would u would have to do is place a temp bulb/sensor somehow into the coolant either by drilling/tapping it somewhere in the cooling sytem and wiring it ip to the guage or sending unit if u get that sofisticated.

But like he said before the engineers of ur new bike should have u covered before u do any damage.
If you can read this, thank a teacher, because its in English, thank a soldier"

BYRDMAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:57 PM   #4
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX9R
1982 Yamaha Maxim XJ750J
MX150 dirt

The temperature sensor should be located right by the thermostat, on the engine side. That is where it'll measure the actual engine coolant temp. It can't be past that because it'll get a cold reading when thermostat is closed, and can't be on the intake side of engine because that will read the cool water returning from the radiator (which is standing still when thermostat is closed). If you have a warning light, that means there is already a sensor in the engine. Find it, you might be able to read it's signal with a guage. You probably can't replace it because the computer is using it to run the fans and your warning light. I would look up a replacement sensor, and find the manufacturers site to locate a compatible guage.
RePo is offline   Reply With Quote