MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 09:08 AM   #1
Brian f.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Suspension question for you endurance racers

How do you guys go about setting your bikes suspension up in a way to acomodate the varying weights and riding styles of each rider?? Never really thought of it in those terms, but the more i am watching/reading about suspension setups the more i relize it can vary greatly from rider to rider.

How in the do you guys change riders and keep each rider and the bike happy?? Just a happy medium for each persons needs?
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Motorcycles Unlimited endurance racers markn8442 Motorcycles Unlimited 1 03-18-2010 09:56 AM
Question for the racers gixxerman Taking it to the Track 9 01-26-2010 03:58 PM
racers; how long did ur stock suspension work for u? lbjasonc Taking it to the Track 46 07-27-2009 07:25 AM
Question About CMRA Endurance #s Swift E Taking it to the Track 11 06-12-2007 01:57 PM
Question to all of you racers Swift E Taking it to the Track 37 02-11-2006 03:37 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2009, 09:11 AM   #2
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Get teammates that are all the same weight
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:39 AM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post
How do you guys go about setting your bikes suspension up in a way to acomodate the varying weights and riding styles of each rider?? Never really thought of it in those terms, but the more i am watching/reading about suspension setups the more i relize it can vary greatly from rider to rider.

How in the do you guys change riders and keep each rider and the bike happy?? Just a happy medium for each persons needs?
Most of the time, you learn to ride around the suspension if there are any issues, but the easiest remedy is to have teammates that are pretty close in weight.

The differences in "personal" suspension settings are a compromise.

On my endurance team, I probably out-weigh two of my teammates by 50-75 lbs, but that bike is the best handling bike I've ever ridden, and they feel the same way. It's a bit soft for me, but the compression/ damping/ preload/ etc works well for all of us. I just try to ride a bit more smoothly to compensate for the softer springs.

Not much of an issue IMHO, just adapt the best you can.
Old 02-23-2009, 07:18 AM   #4
markn8442

Bike(s):
2013 kawasaki 636
Specializes Epic
KTMEXC200
KTTM640 Adventure
z50

happiness?

if ya want happiness, ditch all your women, sell your bikes and all of your posessions and buy a dog.
but on the LSTD team, the first thing we do is hire someone competent to build the suspension components.
i would use jimmy at raceworx,patrick at motorcycles unlimited, or keith hertell in san antonio.
any of them know how to get you to a nice baseline that should be race-ready.
after that, get a little sticker to place on your gas tank with the letters RTFM.
markn8442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 08:25 AM   #5
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
we set it up for the fastest guys, and last year the other two fat guys where my weight, the other two on the team where heavier but it still worked for them
Old 02-23-2009, 04:35 PM   #6
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Yea, we usually set it up for the fastest guy.
Then tune till we get a good compromise which is (usually) easy to do. Even w/ some guys being 80 pounds different.

Advertisement