MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2009, 02:00 PM   #21
ALEXD
HOUSTUNNAS

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
05 R6
SOLD-00 GSXR 750 StreetFighter
SOLD- 99 GSXR 600
SOLD-01 YAMAHA R6
03 600 RR

why cant people just wear there gear? Iagree with old school their just trying to look cool and you know what, the stupid thing is nobody cares if your at a redlight the cagers or whoever aren't looking at you they are looking at your bike!!!!!!
ALEXD is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What's the rest of this story?? Triumph Triple Motorcycle News & Media 0 07-18-2015 03:42 PM
my mind cant let this rest... kingworm General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 06-19-2014 12:45 AM
Where did they put the rest of him?????????? Grinchy Off Topic 7 07-27-2010 10:21 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-22-2009, 03:41 PM   #22
Bizzach

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
Yellow 2008 Kawa ZX-6R

I just wanna chime in on this subject....
I'm with the original poster. YES, wearing gear is the safe thing to do, but this IS a free country. There are people who choose to ride without it. I myself, even on occasion go out without a jacket on (but ALWAYS helmet, gloves and boots). But guess what? That choice is MINE to make. I, along with anyone else riding, knows the consequences of riding without gear. I wouldn't expect any sympathy if I went down and had rash, and I wouldn't give sympathy to anyone else either.
But the thing about it is, all you guys on this board and this site (with a few exceptions) think that they are all high and mighty, and better than anyone else. If you see someone like me without a jacket on (but again, helmet and gloves), you call me a squid and try and put me down. I don't deserve that. You're not making this site very friendly. I come here often, and used to contribute, but any time I did, I got flamed (not for being a squid, but stupid stuff like riding a 250). I have only participated in one group ride, but I was treated like an outsider because I didn't have a jacket. Bah! Guess what!?? I ride EVERY SINGLE DAY by myself.... I don't need anyone on here to tell me I'm cool, or tell me I'm 'bringing down the sport' of riding.

My point is, please, give it a rest. Please, can't we all just enjoy being brothers on 2 wheels? No one is better than anyone else for any choices they make. We are all here to have fun on our bikes. Sure, feel free to educate newbs on the importance of gearing up for each ride, but if you want to talk about squids, go do it on the message boards of SeaWorld.com. Thanks.
Bizzach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:15 PM   #23
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

I wear gear.
it's a free country, do whatever you want.
I will call you a squid. or a douche. or a squidouche.
who cares what I call you?
who cares what anyone calls anyone?

what all this has to do with being almighty is beyond me. I don't have to be a deity to call people things that amuse me.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
SBN. We're coming for your wife and daughters.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:33 PM   #24
CBRguyIZcool
UkrainianSicilian100%Nerd

Bike(s):
H-D Sportster 48

Send a message via AIM to CBRguyIZcool
where can i get these riding pants you speak of, something that looks like normal pants. im overweight and wouldn't leave the house in leather pants, i already looked like a stuffed sausage as is
CBRguyIZcool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:37 PM   #25
v4lu3s

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

Motorcycles Unlimited has the fieldsheer riding jeans with aramid in the seat and knees, they mostly look like regular jeans with a few extra seams. I think they sell em for right around $70.
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:45 PM   #26
FastLife1K
Howdy

Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 DR-650
'07 gsx-r 1000 (Sold)
2008 Ninja 250 (sold)
'09 Honda CBR (sold)
'09 GSXR 600 (Sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to FastLife1K Send a message via Yahoo to FastLife1K
i ride with gear..everything except the pants..i jus wear some jeans.
but if someone wants to wear less than that i dont care..its there decision..just like smoking cigaretes it kills as well

lol

"Slow is smooth, smooth is fast"
FastLife1K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 04:46 PM   #27
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Except for what's required by law, riders are free to wear what they want, sure.

But equally, everybody else is free to call other riders whatever they want.

Squid, gaper, jong, fred, FNG, touron, spore, poseur... They're all fun ways to distinguish the almighty in-crowd clique "Us" from the foolish "Them."
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 05:23 PM   #28
Street Ninja
Banned

Bike(s):
\_(ツ)_/

User is banned

Last edited by SexualChocolate; 02-22-2009 at 06:21 PM.
Street Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 06:10 PM   #29
cory4408
Dangerously Slow

I would ride with protection but I am alergic to latex. Maybe I could try sheepskin?
cory4408 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:07 PM   #30
The_Gunslinger
Kamakasi

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
'07 zx6r
'02 xr250r

i don't say anything about the riders attire.

but i enjoy a low speed cornering stall as much as the next guy...
not as good as a failed wheelie, but better than ragging on some dude thats 'unsafe'.

proper gear just give me that much more confidence in myself.
Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true, Jerry lee lewis was the devil, Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet; All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world...So there was only one thing that I could do/
ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
The_Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 07:20 PM   #31
houstonch73
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:05 PM   #32
The Irish Mick
The Lil Brother

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
Suzuki GS 500
82 Kawi Kz750

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
The antagonizing(likely mispelled) comes from our community usually after we reference threads that are familiar to this group. We have had multiple threads on 'what is a squid' and 'curb monkeys' etc. But newer peeps coming in will likely not read these threads and see harsher comments level out to more subtle, understanding remarks.

So often times our comments can be a little harsh in their general nature to newer peeps. Valid point addressed, but the concern still remains for the individual safety of riders in the hobby we share even though it is their individual choice as to what they wear.

Prepare for the crash, not the ride. Gear up and ride safe peeps.

The Irish Mick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:25 PM   #33
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
If your going over 30mph with no lid....YOUR A SQUID!

If your going for a little ride through town without a jacket....YOUR A SQUID!

If your going 150mph on a stand-up wheelie....YOUR A BADASS....SQUID!
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:32 PM   #34
maxgs

Member Garage

On this topic, I have to disagree a bit. Calling somebody a squid does no good, nor is that what I did in the recent picture thread from ASI.

However, face it, nobody plans to go down. Most people associated with MotoHouston wear "gear" and it means helmet, jacket and gloves and (hopefully) boots. I think about the number of people who have recently gone down in relatively minor incidents who have screwed up their knees pretty badly. Three come to mind immediately two of whom I know pretty well. I think helping folks understand that a lot of the people who wear jeans have knee protection underneath is a GREAT IDEA particularly when the additional protection only costs $25. Who was it that went down today and walked away thanks, in part, to his brand new knee protection?

I'd like to see people accept wearing this $25 piece of safety equipment as readily as they wear gloves. And, I don't see the harm in helping folks understand that many, many of us do exactly that.

As a bit of background, prior to getting heavily involved in sportbikes, I rode my chopper in the typical biker attire and though nothing of it. Heck, that's how everybody dressed who rode similar equipment. Gearing up never crossed my mind. I had this same attitude when I rode my busa on the street and, earlier, my ZX-11.

Then I bought the gixxer, started riding on the track, and got to know many other track riders and MH folks. Of course at the track, I had a lot of help figuring out what gear I was supposed to be wearing. I really never had any intention of riding the gixxer on the street. However, I ended up riding with a few MH folks and others, and I started enjoying it. Almost everybody I saw wore gear (helmets, gloves, boots) all the time and, since I had it, I did as well. The attention people paid to wearing the proper gear "all the time" ultimately sank in and now that's how I ride. I think this is a huge benefit that I gained from this community, and I appreciate it.

And, yes, Gary (DudeWheresMyBike) I even gear up on the chopper now, as I was a couple weeks back at The Tavern. I think there are a bunch of people new to the sportbike community who are like I was, rather ignorant about safety gear. This community helps in that education process, sometimes in nice ways and other times a little more obnoxiously. Hopefully, people find that I'm usually nice about it.
Old 02-22-2009, 08:37 PM   #35
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

PP1Pics011 1

tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:42 PM   #36
Capt Penetrate
A view from my office

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
06 R6 Track
07 R1 to pose

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob65 View Post
sounds Like this dude is a SQQQQUUUUUUUUUIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
Old 02-22-2009, 10:48 PM   #37
Gimpin2Fold
Wake up already

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbob65 View Post
sounds Like this dude is a SQQQQUUUUUUUUUIIIIIDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDD
sounds like you have no idea who i am
Gimpin2Fold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 06:49 PM   #38
specterunseen
El Brilliante

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gimpin2Fold View Post
im talking to all those that call out a "squid " that r wearing some gear. like they have on a jacket and a helmet but because they have a rip in their jeans and not wearing a full piece leather suit than they r a squid.

GIVE IT A REST

they ride the way they feel good at. who are you to call those guys out???

you never went out without full gear on????

if you say no, i call bs,

maybe if the only time is on the track but seriously, if they have a helmet or more on, quit trying to call that person a squid..... especially when you were riding like that this past week.

just tired of seeing someone call someone else out when they were posted on "the wall of shame" just the other day for riding without a helmet.

Wow. Hmm. I've ridden 20 yards or so in the apartment complex to the water pump. I test road the bike the first time maybe 100 ft or so with no gear, didn't have it at that time. Road 2-3 times with full gear minus jeans... other than that it is FULL GEAR ALL THE TIME. Not FULL GEAR PART OF THE TIME WHEN IT'S CONVENIENT.

I do judge that others don't ride safely when they avoid full gear. To me riding without a backprotector isn't full gear, I go as far as I can. BUT, I don't show my opinions as a gear down someone else's throat. They can answer for their own actions. I personally want to walk away. I feel more confident on my bike with gear.

It's America and a free country. Go ride!
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:36 PM   #39
MudBug
Banned

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2009, 07:39 PM   #40
KaMaKaZeE_FZR!
Fighter Pilot

Bike(s):
1991 Yamaha FZR 1000(almost back) somethin special to come

Member Garage

im scared to ask what half was naked, at least you had you jacket and lid on i guess
KaMaKaZeE_FZR! is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement