MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2009, 10:16 AM   #1
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

On track impression: 2009 ZX6R

Yesterday at Oak Hill, I was graced with the presence of one of the finest motorcycles to roll off the showroom floor. No kidding!

Mark Niemi, team Captain for LSTD Roadracing and 3-time Champions in C-Superstock for the CMRA Endurance series, allowed me to ride the new bike for the '09 season. The bike made quite an impression, so much so that I am questioning my decision to have purchased the GSXR I bought a few months ago and am feverishly trying to complete before Eagle's Canyon race weekend next month.

Let me start by saying that everything this bike did, it did fantastically! I wish I were exaggerating. This is the first bike that I truly felt could go straight from the showroom floor, to removing the lights and stock bodywork, and go straight to the track bone-stock and win. I've ridden all manner of bikes, new, old, modified, stock, Japanese, Italian, British; you name it- I've never thrown a leg over a bike that was this good from the showroom floor!

Starting off with the important stuff, suspension, all I can say is that even with my fattass on it, the suspension felt firm, gave excellent feedback, and was extremely stable in the corners and with corner entry braking. It didn't feel soft, it wasn't all wonky as the bike was braked hard in to the corners, it was really stable in the high-speed sweepers, and it handled the bumps of Oak Hill akin to some of the highly specialized and tuned Ohlins suspensions I've ridden in the past. Mark made no adjustments to this bike at all, no rebound/ compression/ damping/ preload- nothing. It was as it came off the floor, with the exception of the 20 or so miles that were on the clock from Mark riding it around his block- it was as new as it gets. I can't put in to words how good this suspension was, and it saddened me to realize it.

Why so sad? Well, I started to add up all the money I've spent on my current and past bikes to make them behave at speed on some of the toughest tracks in the Country, and it doesn't correspond to the cost of this bike without those mods. It almost seems like I've wasted money for so long on those items. Of course, this '09 ZX didn't exist until now, so I really didn't have a choice, but I'm seriously considering selling my GSXR now and simply buying one of these ZX's!

If there ever was a litmus test for a bike's performance at a tough track, Oak Hill is the one to do it at. It encompasses everything that is good (and some bad) about race tracks with elevation changes, traction challenges, an assortment of different types of corners, and braking challenges. If a bike doesn't perform well at Oak Hill, it's the best place to work out those challenges and make the bike really good at other tracks that don't have the same challenges. I can only imagine how well this bike is going to perform at Cresson which is arguably one of the best tracks in the Country!

On to more about the bike's specifics. The brakes. One word: WOW. These brakes perform as well as my radial Brembo master, stainless lines, and Vesrah RJL pads- NO JOKE! One finger hard braking and tremendous feel/ feedback/ bite from the stock radial master, rubber lines and Kawi pads!

Ergonomics:
This bike is terribly light, has a narrrow/ nimble feel, and puts the rider in a fantastic body position. No need for aftermarket rearsets here, the stock pegs put your feet up and back but in a very comfortable racing position. The bars could be turned out more, the stock clip-ons are turned in quite a bit for my taste, but that's an easy fix if you just have to have that adjusted- as it was, I was not uncomfortable at all, but I would turn them out if I owned the bike. Seat height was perfect, as well as the seat distance from the bars- everything ergonomically seemed well thought out and positioned perfectly.

On to the engine. This bike easily makes as much or more power than the predecessor "cheater" 636 ZX. The power comes on at about 9k smoothly, and continues up to the 19k (?- I remember is was high, but can't remember if it was that high...) red line while smoothly hoisting the front wheel just above the pavement. Like butter! This engine's power felt like a 750's power, but with a higher rev-range and a bit less torque.

The tires were AWESOME! I couldn't believe how good they were! They were the stock Bridgestone street tire that comes on the bike- I didn't look to see what they were exactly, but I wasn't surprised that they were made by Bridgestone. By the end of the day, they were very sticky and came that way just as soon as you got on the track without the use of warmers. Very consistent, predictable, and traction was incredible!

After all that riding yesterday, as soon as I get to the shop, I'm going to go kick my GSXR in the

Just thought I'd share, the bike made quite an impression on me.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How would you rate 2009 ZX6R Coast Rider General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 03-21-2010 10:53 PM
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
RideSmart Track Day - 7.03.2009 & 7.04.2009 @ ECR - 2 Day Extravaganza!! Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 6 07-02-2009 02:02 PM
RideSmart Track Day - 2009 TRACK SCHEDULE ADDITION - 4.04.2009 @ TWS (Texas World Speedway)!!! Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 0 02-13-2009 04:47 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #2
Brian f.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Wow, great write up. , the way you compare it to nearly any moddified bike youve owned before though, especially even when talking such things like brakes and footpegs.......... you would have thought Kawasaki had you on pay roll!!!!! LOL

I will say, there has been something appealing to me by the Kawasakis of late. I think they have been making great looking bikes last couple years
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:22 AM   #3
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...

Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
I would buy the 09 6R and I am not a track fiend. It's really leaps and bounds above the old 6Rs. 636 power is nothing to scoff at. If it is that good I guess I'll pick one up in a couple of years when they are old and cheap.

mybanner4a260100b5617
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:42 AM   #4
Brian f.

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Only for what its worth, i always take this stuff with a grain of salt, but with Toms review maybe they arent full of ?

Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 10:46 AM   #5
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post
Wow, great write up. , the way you compare it to nearly any moddified bike youve owned before though, especially even when talking such things like brakes and footpegs.......... you would have thought Kawasaki had you on pay roll!!!!! LOL

I will say, there has been something appealing to me by the Kawasakis of late. I think they have been making great looking bikes last couple years
Trust me, I've never been a fan of Kawi until now. I've never liked them since the first Ninja was introduced- back then I was a Honda guy and wouldn't have traded my FT500 race bike or my VFR750 for any bike in the world. I was truly surprised at how much I liked the bike- just ask anyone that was at the track yesterday- it was just that impressive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post
Only for what its worth, i always take this stuff with a grain of salt, but with Toms review maybe they arent full of ?

YouTube - 2009 Kawasaki ZX-6R Supersport First Ride
All I can say is, if you get a chance to ride one, take it and see what you think. I was shocked.
Old 02-21-2009, 10:54 AM   #6
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

I just watched that vid- I can't believe they didn't say anything about the brakes! Those things rawked!

The Ohlins damper is a real Ohlins unit, but it's "de-tuned" for the street. It seems like it would work well on the streets and back-roads, but it was weak for the track. It can be sent off for re-tuning from Ohlins for the track though- which is a big plus too.
Old 02-21-2009, 05:13 PM   #7
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Nice write up Tom. May have to consider getting one after this summer.
Old 02-21-2009, 06:35 PM   #8
Gabe

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
z50, ZX6R, Bianchi

Hells yea! I hope Mark lets me ride it too
-Gabe
Gabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 06:56 PM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe View Post
Hells yea! I hope Mark lets me ride it too
-Gabe
Well, he might, but you know he likes me better...
Old 02-21-2009, 06:59 PM   #10
1fastchevy
Bout Time

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):

Thanks, that was a great write up.
1fastchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 08:08 AM   #11
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Nice write up Tom!!! Made for an excellent read this fine Sunday morning with my coffee! I love me a Kawi....Kawi still owns my heart

You need to be a journalist for a cycle magazine or something.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2009, 10:21 AM   #12
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Nice write up tommy boy!!!
Old 02-23-2009, 02:04 PM   #13
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
Nice write up Tom!!! Made for an excellent read this fine Sunday morning with my coffee! I love me a Kawi....Kawi still owns my heart

You need to be a journalist for a cycle magazine or something.
I have said that several times before.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 04:05 AM   #14
Fight The Chaos

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
04 cbr 600
'06 zx6r
'03 250r
'05 R1

I agree with buck, it read like an article from a motorcycle magazine. I'll have to test the new 6R...the 06 model has so much lag on mid range its not even funny. I just recently had the european mod to cure this lag, not bad at all.
Fight The Chaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 05:24 AM   #15
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Very nice right up indeed Tom. It felt very smooth from acceleration to braking in the turns...even from a passengers standpoint.
I really enjoyed my first time riding on the track, and I think it was due to the feel of the stability of the bike and the skill level of it's rider

I thought I liked the ZX10 from the get go, well minus the Kawi green , but I think the ZX6 has me... but only from the Kawi brand name. I still love my Suki.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:58 AM   #16
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxgirl View Post
Very nice right up indeed Tom. It felt very smooth from acceleration to braking in the turns...even from a passengers standpoint.
I really enjoyed my first time riding on the track, and I think it was due to the feel of the stability of the bike and the skill level of it's rider

I thought I liked the ZX10 from the get go, well minus the Kawi green , but I think the ZX6 has me... but only from the Kawi brand name. I still love my Suki.
No dear, that was the driver...

Next time, you're bringing your bike- no more riding !
Old 02-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #17
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post

Tom, Tom, Tom.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:13 PM   #18
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

FYI, the tires are BT016
They come stock a number of bikes now.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #19
level5
moving chicane

I am planning to pick one up next year if I ever continue to do tracks. B016 are the bombs of street tires.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 12:38 PM   #20
vmaxgirl
LSTD Mafia Princess

Bike(s):
1994 Vmax 1200
Honda 50 (Fuglee)
2012 ZX10r

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post

yea, it was ALL you Tommy boy, ALL you and yea... my Suki will be hitting ECR for realz this time.
unless they decide to rebuild my knee again