MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 04:32 PM   #21
HtownStunta

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
1986 Honda Spree

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonch73 View Post
ok so what will he tell the bank that holds the title?
dunno, you should call him and ask him...
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Fabrication, offroad anyones else? anatram Off Topic 24 04-22-2014 03:15 PM
Sunday 4/01 Bike ride to Deer Park's Bike Show, then Galveston! GixxerLizzy Events, Meets and Rides 7 04-08-2012 07:38 PM
Friday night group ride HOOTErS ;)!! Discuss bike possible bike club skullrider Events, Meets and Rides 7 03-23-2012 06:27 PM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2009, 04:46 PM   #22
houstonch73
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:51 PM   #23
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

But the bank will still own the bike, right? So after someone buys the bike from him and he doesn't pay it off, then the bank will come looking for the bike right?

Does that then make it a stolen bike?

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 04:55 PM   #24
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...

Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
But the bank will still own the bike, right? So after someone buys the bike from him and he doesn't pay it off, then the bank will come looking for the bike right?

Does that then make it a stolen bike?
Yes...kinda. Currently it is not stolen. When he sells it to you and reports it stolen then it will be. OR he stops paying on it and the bank then looks for it...which means that it will be considered stolen at that point. So although not stolen now...at some point it will be classified as stolen.

There are too many variables. Just something to stay away from IMO.

mybanner4a260100b5617
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #25
ddgtomahawk
Write my name! \/

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2016 R1
2001 Honda CBR929 RE
2005 Honda CBR600RR
2007 R6S

I would pay 2 grand buy a frame with title and swap over everything and now i got a 5k-6k bike and the can come repo his frame, I by bikes and flip them though so I have run into very sticky situations its just not worth it yes the bank will come after HIM but if the bikes not there they let that go and pursue him through court or allow it to ride his credit. Of course he could claim it stolen and point fingers at you but then you would show the add for sale etc.. plus I would make him write a bill of sale if possible.

Come here you little cake eating sieg heil .
ddgtomahawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:03 PM   #26
flipstyledsm22
Lets go fishing!

Bike(s):
1994 FLSTC Pro-Street Chopper
1964 Tote Gote
2003 GSXR600 - SOLD
2004 ZX6R - SOLD
1986 VFR750 - SOLD

Send a message via Yahoo to flipstyledsm22
This guy is a total dumba**!! Sorry, but if you don't to pay for it... give it back!! Either way he's going to have to pay something now, or later down the road.
flipstyledsm22 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:22 PM   #27
Squared

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
92' Nissan Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by quicksaveme View Post
Good idea, dangerous if you are dealing with someone who just stole that bike though...

Also, how would you get the vin number without him noticing, if he knows you want it he SHOULDN'T let you have it if it's stolen.

I wouldn't ask for it. In my experience you can pull the plate number and then get the VIN that way, or you can just "inspect" the gauge cluster where the VIN is and type it into your cell phone.

I actually have done this before when my bike was stolen, although it is easier to do when all you need is the last 4 of the VIN to see if it is your bike or not. It helps that if I need to I can memorize an entire VIN by looking at it but that just comes from years of memorizing CD keys to OS's and games.

Since this entire response is now irrelevant because it's not stolen but owned by a bank, here's my two cents on the subject.

This is actually how I bought my bike... and I payed about the same for it. However, the guy I bought my bike from was a friend of a friend and I met with him and his parents at their house in FL before I even considered buying it.

They had antique restored cars, RV's, all kinds of nice vehicles. I could tell they weren't trying to just rip me off and **** me after not paying for it. Instead, they were just trying to get rid of it quick and pay what they owed left on the bike so as to stop paying interest on it as well. It worked out for both of us, and they sent me my title a month later when the bank sent it to them. I filled out the details and they had signed it already, and BAM, I had a bike.

This is not the norm, and I wouldn't trust any random as stranger to do this. Just FYI.
Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:38 PM   #28
CUSTOM ZX-14

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
ZX-14

its probably on the repo list I have seen that befor
CUSTOM ZX-14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 06:12 PM   #29
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddgtomahawk View Post
I would pay 2 grand buy a frame with title and swap over everything and now i got a 5k-6k bike and the can come repo his frame, I by bikes and flip them though so I have run into very sticky situations its just not worth it yes the bank will come after HIM but if the bikes not there they let that go and pursue him through court or allow it to ride his credit. Of course he could claim it stolen and point fingers at you but then you would show the add for sale etc.. plus I would make him write a bill of sale if possible.
you definatly flip over bikes when is yo going to be ready again?
Old 02-21-2009, 02:40 PM   #30
Busa_Bullet
boats n' motohoes

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2004 Hayabusa

so i called that guy with the 750. he said its got 14000 miles on it. kinda odd for a 07. anyway, he said he still owes 8grand on the bike. and he would not be putting that 3 grand towards paying it off. he said he wants to just get rid of it and he posted that it could be used as track, stunt, or parts bc he doesent know how you could obtain a title for it seeing as he still owes 8g's on it. sooo i dunno. is there a way to get a bike like that and the buyer not have to worry about anything? would a bill of sale protect the buyer.
Busa_Bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:01 PM   #31
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

You can get a mechanics lien on it and the bank will release the title to you. D&D titles in La Porte deals with this kind of thing all of the tile. It will cost under 300 to get the title.
bluewave18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:36 PM   #32
RePo

Bike(s):
2000 Kawasaki Ninja ZX9R
1982 Yamaha Maxim XJ750J
MX150 dirt

The bill of sale isn't good enough. When that bike is reported stolen and the buyer is found in possesion he can produce the bill of sale and argue he didn't steal it. The buyer won't be charged with receiving stolen property, but the bike will be held in evidence and transferred back to the bank or lein holder. The signature on the bill of sale will result in the current seller (debtor) being charged with some sort of fraud or theft after having filed a false police report for the bike disappearing.

It looks good, but don't touch.
RePo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 03:53 PM   #33
Sl!mP!ckens!

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
05 GSX-R 750

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RePo View Post
The bill of sale isn't good enough. When that bike is reported stolen and the buyer is found in possesion he can produce the bill of sale and argue he didn't steal it. The buyer won't be charged with receiving stolen property, but the bike will be held in evidence and transferred back to the bank or lein holder. The signature on the bill of sale will result in the current seller (debtor) being charged with some sort of fraud or theft after having filed a false police report for the bike disappearing.

It looks good, but don't touch.
Unless you want to go the frame route mentioned above. Thats what bike thieves do all the time. So really at the end of the day your still dealing with a stolen bike, just not stolen from a person but rather a bank. I guess it just comes down to how you feel about that sort of thing. Be aware that it takes some work and if you buy it you probably don't want to take it back to your house just in case. Also don't let that guy get any info on your really. Meet him in a parking lot or gas station somewhere to pick it up.
Sl!mP!ckens! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:17 PM   #34
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Busa_Bullet View Post
so i called that guy with the 750. he said its got 14000 miles on it. kinda odd for a 07. anyway, he said he still owes 8grand on the bike. and he would not be putting that 3 grand towards paying it off. he said he wants to just get rid of it and he posted that it could be used as track, stunt, or parts bc he doesent know how you could obtain a title for it seeing as he still owes 8g's on it. sooo i dunno. is there a way to get a bike like that and the buyer not have to worry about anything? would a bill of sale protect the buyer.
Why is that odd?

I put 12K on my bike in the first 10 months I had it.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2009, 04:44 PM   #35
KillinTime

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HtownStunta View Post
I know who is selling it... it is not stolen, but still has lein on it...
Soo.. How can he sell a bike that isn't his? Tell ur friend he is a dumbass.. All he is trying to do it get 3k out of someone then the lien holder repo it.
KillinTime is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement