MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Should earphones be allowed on the track?
Yes 22 17.60%
No 79 63.20%
Do as you wish 24 19.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #141
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I think there is a difference between in ear headphones and phones mounted in cheek pads. The latter allows the rider to still hear everything happening around them. In the ear phones or something that blocks all the sound from the bikes around you seem like a risky proposition.

-Curt
I agree. I got proof too just can't copy and paste from my phone.
ParAvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seafoam Usage ekfraz How To's and Q & A's 27 10-12-2009 03:35 PM
Earphone Discussion V. 5.2.4b_BigEar Drumboy General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 11-24-2008 08:08 PM
Internet usage?? Hooligan Off Topic 16 07-05-2008 10:05 PM
Lane Filtering Usage specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 64 04-07-2008 12:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #142
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParAvion View Post
Glad I waited to go. Now I know which one not to go to. Unsafe in my opinion.
There are 4 very good schools on here, and all 4 I would bet, would feel the same way about it.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #143
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
people are afraid to speak up... I'm really not trying to step on toes, I promise. , even I jam when snowboarding down a hill, but at the same time I'm not travelling at triple digit speeds.

I don't know why anyone would be affraid of little old me!

I would have thought that as many times I have taken riders classes one of the many many instructors I have encountered would have said something! Remember just because I was in instructor last year, I also paid to ride track for the 3 years before that! I have taken the riders school with all the orgs and it was never addressed!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:39 PM   #144
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post

I would have thought that as many times I have taken riders classes one of the many many instructors I have encountered would have said something! Remember just because I was in instructor last year, I also paid to ride track for the 3 years before that! I have taken the riders school with all the orgs and it was never addressed!
They're not, Bubby has them scared...or maybe it's the Candie Phast nickname But like Godsuki said, I'd also venture that all 4 schools in the Houston area probably agree with the vast majority....

and off topic, why hasn't TomLSTD stuck his nose in here yet?

Last edited by dbuck; 02-20-2009 at 03:43 PM. Reason: contractions
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:40 PM   #145
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Their not, Bubby has them scared...or maybe it's the Candie Phast nickname But like Godsuki said, I'd also venture that all 4 schools in the Houston area probably agree with the vast majority....

and off topic, why hasn't TomLSTD stuck his nose in here yet?

He's at the Hill this weekend
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 03:42 PM   #146
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Quote:

in a litigious society such as ours it would be wise to set precedent and ban use or risk being made an example out of by being the first to be sued. Your school your rules. I am just stating my thoughts feel free to do as you please.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:43 PM   #147
maxgs

Member Garage

Did y'all know that the major running events for half marathons and full marathons prohibit headphones for safety reasons? Sure, many people still wear them but they are prohibited.

Seems kind of strange that these organizations with people moving merely at running speeds would enact such a rule, yet a track day organization allows them.
Old 02-20-2009, 03:49 PM   #148
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParAvion View Post
in a litigious society such as ours it would be wise to set precedent and ban use or risk being made an example out of by being the first to be sued. Your school your rules. I am just stating my thoughts feel free to do as you please.
That is all well and fine! I am not disputing that! But, up until this point it has not been addressed!

Has anyone who has ridden with Ride Smart, LSTD, TTD or LMS heard it addressed in a riders meeting or had an instructor tell them not to ride with earphones? It has been my experience that I have not heard it! If I am wrong then someone speak up! My point is if they want it enforeced then they need to make it known.

Don't say that I am setting a bad example when I have NEVER had anyone tell me they felt is a saftey issue! Now that I know that the orgs frown on it because they feel it could be a safety issue I will follow the rules if I choose to ride with that org!
Old 02-20-2009, 03:52 PM   #149
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
That is all well and fine! I am not disputing that! But, up until this point it has not been addressed!

Has anyone who has ridden with Ride Smart, LSTD, TTD or LMS heard it addressed in a riders meeting or had an instructor tell them not to ride with earphones? It has been my experience that I have not heard it! If I am wrong then someone speak up! My point is if they want it enforeced the they need to make it known.

Don't say that I am setting a bad example when I have NEVER had anyone tell me the felt is a saftey issue! Now that I know that the orgs frown on it because the feel it could be a safety issue I will follow the rules if I choose to ride with that org!
NEVER ONCE have I heard this topic covered at any riders meeting.

there you have it Candie, the entire point of my thread.

and never once was I pointing fingers at anyone (you, Andygill, or anyone else for that matter), I was bringing it up for the mere factor that if it is a rule, it needs to be addressed/enforced.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:44 PM   #150
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

I don't think anyone can disagree with this statement "wearing headphones while riding a motorcycle is a distraction" Now do you want your opponent to be distracted while racing?

Proof:

http://www.boston.com/news/local/bre...ent_weari.html

http://www.sccgov.org/portal/site/sh...tcurrchannel=1

This one is good example of what if someone was fiddling with their ipod or moving their earphones

http://commutebybike.com/2006/07/27/...ing-your-bike/

I think the answer to this is to put large speakers on your bike so you can blast music and still hear others.
Old 02-20-2009, 04:52 PM   #151
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

A few weeks ago my long time biking buddy Mikey Monte and I were up in Turnbull Canyon in Whittier Ca.

The trail has a 2 mile climb and its pretty boring too. Since Mikey and I have ridden this trail before, he decided it would be a good idea to take his MP3 player along for the climb and then take it off during the single track and descent.

This is Mike and I on our way up to the top…don’t worry I was had my helmet on my bars, it was too hot to wear it during the climb.

Here’s Mikey enjoying his music…all smiles

So we start heading down this single track called Rattlesnake, Mikey decided to keep his MP3 playing. As we get out of Rattlesnake, Mikey’s right ear phone started to fall out of his ear. So he takes his right hand of the handle bar to adjust his ear phone… (Oh by the way, I forgot to mention that we just upgraded his bike to a brand new set of wheels and disc brakes a fews before…)

(back to the story)…with his right hand. But he started gaining some speed coming out of Rattlesnake. Mikey decided to scrub some speed by applying the brakes gently…but he didn’t realized that his new disc brakes are far more sensitive than his previous V-brakes.

Mikey Endo’s, in other words, he goes over the bars. As he’s doing all this acrobatic moves, I am about 50 yards in front of him. Mikey lands on is left shoulder, and starts to scream like crazy!

I hear him…then I slam on my brakes and turn around and I see a big cloud of dust, Mikey rolling around on the ground screaming, and his bike about 10 feet behind him.

I run to him to see what happend. He was in too much pain, and he couldn’t move or anything. So I do my best to try to help him, but the pain on his left shoulder was too much. I was able to at least get him to sit up and I took a wind breaker from his Camelback and made a sling for his arm. I then called his wife to tell her that he had hurt himself, not knowing exactly what his injuries were, I just told her that he either broke something or dislocated it.

Riders and runners kept passing us, people asked if were ok, but obviously Mikey wasn’t. But the most interesting thing happend. This stranger named Sal stopped by and helped me get Mikey up on his feet. He even walked with us all the way to the car, it was about 2 miles. He gave up his ride to make sure Mikey was ok.

We get in the car and drive to the nearest E.R. and the verdict was in…

He broke his shoulder.

So what’s the moral of the story? Don’t listen to your MP3 player while riding your bike, you could get hurt!

8 Responses to “This Is Why You Shouldn’t Listen To an MP3 Player While Riding Your Bike”
Randy Policar Says:
July 28th, 2006 at 7:23 am
Isn’t that just sooo cute! They have matching outfits.

RL Policar Says:
July 28th, 2006 at 9:20 am
Yeah we look cool. But he paid over $50 for his shirt, I paid $8 at Old Navy for mine. I’m not into the logos and stuff.

Priscilla-Bike Princess Says:
August 2nd, 2006 at 1:05 am
So is the bike okay?!?!?!

Cool Person Says:
August 14th, 2006 at 5:39 pm
That had nothing to do with the MP3 player. No criticism, but I’ve ridden to school all the time with an iPod. I’ve never been hurt because of it.

RL Policar Says:
August 14th, 2006 at 6:02 pm
Hello…Cool Person, it did have something to do with the MP3. If you read it, I stated ” Mikey’s right ear phone started to fall out of his ear. So he takes his right hand of the handle bar to adjust his ear phone… ”

That’s fine if you ride to school with your MP3, but I’m sharing this unfortunate story to prevent others from getting hurt.

Active Tunes Preview at Commute by Bike Says:
August 19th, 2006 at 6:08 pm
[...] The i-Ride is the perfect accessory for the commuter. We all know that riding with your MP3 and ear phones can be dangerous. But using the i-Ride allows you to listen to your music and still be aware of your surroundings. [...]

Active Tunes REVIEW at Commute by Bike Says:
September 10th, 2006 at 9:58 pm
[...] Overall: The Active Tunes i-RIDE cost $29.95 and comes with includes speaker, mounting bracket, audio pouch and audio cable. This kit is a great alternative to riding with your MP3 player and headphones plugged in. We all know that riding with headphones can be dangerous. So with that in mind, the i-Ride is a must for those that choose to ride with music. [...]

A Says:
June 13th, 2007 at 7:59 pm
Yeah this has more to do with the new brakes or whatever, however, I don’t think i would listen to anything while riding, cars are careless sometimes.

Leave a Reply
Name

Mail (will not be published)

Website

Notify me of followup comments via e-mail

Explain to me how this was caused by listening to music. He clearly states that is was because he had new different brakes! You are reaching with this story!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:09 PM   #152
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

over analyze much?
Old 02-20-2009, 05:19 PM   #153
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
over analyze much?

You started it! It is friday! I am bored and waiting for Bubby to get home! Got to stay entertained or I will be forced to do the dreaded housework!!!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #154
maxgs

Member Garage

Because Candie has been successful riding with speakers in her cheek pads, doesn't mean it's a good idea for all riders, particularly novices.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:29 PM   #155
andygill17

Bike(s):
'99 sv 650 bobber race bike

how about if you're riding in level 4/advanced/whatever the fast/experienced group is, you can do whatever the you want. I can see it possibly being a distraction if you've only been riding a few months to a year and you have little to no experience on the track, POSSIBLY.
When i'm listening to music, it's not like i'm talking on the phone or listening to a book on tape...the music is in the background, i'm not actively paying attention to it. And how much more can you really hear with ear plugs vs. ear buds listening to music? when I just wore ear plugs, I could barely hear a bike directly in front of me over the sound of my bike...couldn't hear someone behind me unless they were ON MY with a bike running no muffler. Should we make a rule that ppl can't wear ear plugs so they can better hear bikes around them? NO...that'd be way more of a distraction (to me at least). Like I said in my first post, aren't you supposed to focus on what's ahead of you on the track, not what or who is behind you?
If you're going to make a rule like this, it should only apply to track noobs. As someone who's done probably over 30 trackdays (7 last year), 2 race schools, and 1 endurance race over the last 8 yrs of track riding and has never crashed (not ONCE) and never had a complaint about my riding...if I want to jam my music while riding, let me be.
andygill17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 05:36 PM   #156
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Because Candie has been successful riding with speakers in her cheek pads, doesn't mean it's a good idea for all riders, particularly novices.
That is not the point Curt! I just used myself as an example because I can't speak for anyone else. The point is that if someone feels that it is a distraction then they should not ride while listening to music. If a majority feels that is could be a distraction and wants the trackday orgs to make a rule then it needs to be addressed. Because up until this point it as not been!
Old 02-20-2009, 05:44 PM   #157
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
That is not the point Curt! I just used myself as an example because I can't speak for anyone else. The point is that if someone feels that it is a distraction then they should not ride while listening to music. If a majority feels that is could be a distraction and wants the trackday orgs to make a rule then it needs to be addressed. Because up until this point it as not been!
Candie, appreciate that I instructed in cars for ten years and that experience has a heavy influence on my opinion. When folks are new to the track there is a tremendous amount of information they need to process as they become accustomed to the bike, the track, and fellow riders. It is very easy for students to hit information overload as a result and it happens frequently. Anything that takes away from their concentration,even for a moment, can result in undesirable results and impact their own safety as well as the safety of those riders around them. Novice riders are simply not capable of determining what might or might not be a distraction. Consider all the challenges novices have during their first few track days; challenges that, as experienced street riders, they would have never expected. It simply does not make sense to place the decision of fiddling with an ipod or other music while learning to ride at the track in the hands of people with little to no track experience.
Old 02-20-2009, 05:51 PM   #158
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Candie, appreciate that I instructed in cars for ten years and that experience has a heavy influence on my opinion. When folks are new to the track there is a tremendous amount of information they need to process as they become accustomed to the bike, the track, and fellow riders. It is very easy for students to hit information overload as a result and it happens frequently. Anything that takes away from their concentration,even for a moment, can result in undesirable results and impact their own safety as well as the safety of those riders around them. Novice riders are simply not capable of determining what might or might not be a distraction. Consider all the challenges novices have during their first few track days; challenges that, as experienced street riders, they would have never expected. It simply does not make sense to place the decision of fiddling with an ipod or other music while learning to ride at the track in the hands of people with little to no track experience.

I hear what you are saying Curt! I can only go by MY personal experiences! I rode with them for years because no one ever told me any different! Like I said up until this thread I never knew anyone considered it a possible saftey issue! It is something that needs to be addressed!
Old 02-20-2009, 09:19 PM   #159
Ridesmart

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

I tried them but feel much better without them. Like all the feedback I can get from all of my senses, so I say, why would one decide to get less input? Just my opinion, however as DHD said, Ride Smart has no earphones track day events.
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 09:34 PM   #160
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Quote:
I was with you all the way until then. What the "majority" thinks or feels does'nt matter. Don;t let em wear you down. I've got your back.

In general if someones not ridiing well, (for whatever reason) offer to help/ give advice. If you see their wearing headphones let em know it would help if they took'em off and that they'll never be as fast as Rossi wearing them. But if I reacall this thd started not because someone was ridding poorly but because they could'nt hear someone speaking to them. So what are we really trying to solve. Mabye you should be asking for a rule that says you have to respond when spoken to by a fellow ridder.

I signed 4 waivers last weekend and had to wear 2 wirst bands! I was expecting a stamp on my forehead to come next. Don't complicate matters by asking the orgs to take care of this for you. BTW I did'nt vote in the poll since MH is not the majoity anyway. I would not wear headphones but I don;t want to see any additional rules either.

Advertisement