MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Should earphones be allowed on the track?
Yes 22 17.60%
No 79 63.20%
Do as you wish 24 19.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 12:06 PM   #101
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Feedback Rating: (0)

Purpose of government is look after the greater good not stomp on personal liberties. You have much less reaction time on the track and less protection on a moto. Promoter should be protecting riders not making guys who want jam to music happy. Do you need a death to prove the point?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
Again with this. Where are the FACTS that state riding track with music distracts EVERYONE and doesn't allow them to you use all of their senses? No one who supports a ban on earphones at trackdays has yet to prove this. It is all their personal opinions. Where are the facts or examples of earphones causing a saftey concern.

Sidebar.... We all complain about the goverment taking away our right to decide what is best for us. Example... the whole gun issue. Or our freedom of religion. When is it enough? When are we gonna be allowed to choose what is right for us without someone elses opinions dictating what we can or can not do. When is personal responsibility gonna be enough to govern our own lives. I have been guilty of this very same thing with the smoking bans. I am personally and all for it, but I can see where my personal opinion clouds my judgement.

Reguardless of how I feel I will abide by the rules of the trackday org I choose to ride with. Do I believe that it is right No.
ParAvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seafoam Usage ekfraz How To's and Q & A's 27 10-12-2009 03:35 PM
Earphone Discussion V. 5.2.4b_BigEar Drumboy General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 11-24-2008 08:08 PM
Internet usage?? Hooligan Off Topic 16 07-05-2008 10:05 PM
Lane Filtering Usage specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 64 04-07-2008 12:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2009, 12:15 PM   #102
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParAvion View Post
You have much less reaction time on the track and less protection on a moto.
This is true! But where is the PROOF that listening to music causes a delay in reaction time for every individual. I am not arguing so that I or anyone else will be allowed to listen to music while riding at the track. It really is not an issue for me. I just don't like someone else telling we what I may or may not be capable of. You have your opinion and I have mine! What makes yours right and mine wrong?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:17 PM   #103
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
This is true! But where is the PROOF that listening to music causes a delay in reaction time for every individual. I am not arguing so that I or anyone else will be allowed to listen to music while riding at the track. It really is not an issue for me. I just don't like someone else telling we what I may or may not be capable of. You have your opinion and I have mine! What makes yours right and mine wrong?
Your a woman.

I keed. I keed! I had to. Plz don't kill me!
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:20 PM   #104
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Purpose of government is look after the greater good not stomp on personal liberties. You have much less reaction time on the track and less protection on a moto. Promoter should be protecting riders not making guys who want jam to music happy. Do you need a death to prove the point?

and how many track days have you done?

I admit that I regularly listened to music when I rode the streets. It was a joy to jam while riding in the groove. But I love teh sweet sound of my M4 at 12k rpms on the track
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 12:24 PM   #105
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
Your a woman.

LOL not saying yours is wrong but if you give me some time I can try to look up some studies proving that loud music deteriorates hand eye coordination or driving reaction times. And just because you do not get affected does not mean others don't. Even if one person is affected the promoter should err on the side of caution. It is a life and death situation.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #106
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
LOL not saying yours is wrong but if you give me some time I can try to look up some studies proving that loud music deteriorates hand eye coordination or driving reaction times. And just because you do not get affected does not mean others don't. Even if one person is affected the promoter should err on the side of caution. It is a life and death situation.

Ok! Well this is on the same line as no one should start out on a 600cc bike. Some people can not and some can. Do you believe that every trackday org should only allow riders that have spent the appropriate amout of time on a 250cc bike before they can ride a 600cc bike or larger on the track? Dozens and dozens and dozens of wrecks have happened on the track because someone was riding over thier head. Do you feel this should be a rule? I do not.

My point is where does it stop??
Old 02-20-2009, 12:30 PM   #107
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
and how many track days have you done?

I admit that I regularly listened to music when I rode the streets. It was a joy to jam while riding in the groove. But I love teh sweet sound of my M4 at 12k rpms on the track
None yet...but give me a couple and then watch
out!
Old 02-20-2009, 12:33 PM   #108
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
Your a woman.

I am in a good mood today so I will let it slide Ryan!! Oh what is that old saying!! Don't question your womans judgement because looks who she picked.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #109
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Quote:
I am in a good mood today so I will let it slide Ryan!! Oh what is that old saying!! Don't question your womans judgement because looks who she picked.
Something I should know about?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #110
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubby View Post
Something I should know about?
Old 02-20-2009, 12:35 PM   #111
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Quote:
Ok! Well this is on the same line as no one should start out on a 600cc bike. Some people can not and some can. Do you believe that every trackday org should only allow riders that have spent the appropriate amout of time on a 250cc bike before they can ride a 600cc bike or larger on the track? Dozens and dozens and dozens of wrecks have happened on the track because someone was riding over thier head. Do you feel this should be a rule? I do not.

My point is where does it stop??
Basic riding skills/license should be mandatory. But having a 600cc bike does not cause a distraction, it might be more than you can handle that's comparing apples to oranges.

Last edited by ParAvion; 02-20-2009 at 12:38 PM.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:39 PM   #112
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Quote:
Basic riding skills/license. But having. 600cc bike does not cause a distraction, it might be more than you can handle that's comparing apples to oranges.
Riding on a bike you can't handle or not having riding skills needed is much more of a life and death situation than listening to music. And I've seen kids not old enough for a license on the track that could ride circles around some that have had a license for years....me included.

Maybe we should just limit it to a certain type of music. Like nothing aggressive so you don't ride with the wrong attitude.
Old 02-20-2009, 12:41 PM   #113
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Riding on a bike you can't handle or not having riding skills needed is much more of a life and death situation than listening to music.

Maybe we should just limit it to a certain type of music. Like nothing aggressive so you don't ride with the wrong attitude.
Dunno bout you but I always jam some barry manilow when rolling TWS (Texas World Speedway).
Old 02-20-2009, 01:02 PM   #114
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Quote:
Riding on a bike you can't handle or not having riding skills needed is much more of a life and death situation than listening to music. And I've seen kids not old enough for a license on the track that could ride circles around some that have had a license for years....me included.

riding skills is much more subjective and harder to police. Earphones are yes or no much easier.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #115
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Basic riding skills/license should be mandatory. But having a 600cc bike does not cause a distraction, it might be more than you can handle that's comparing apples to oranges.
We are talking about a individuals ridings skills as it applies to track saftey. Are we not! One person may have the ability to ride on the track listening to music while others may not be, because it is a distraction. One person may have the ability to ride a 600cc bike and control the amount of power that bike contains while another may not because they do not have the ability to ride within their limits. It all boils down to people forcing the whole to abide by rules created by some based on their personal preferences.

I think we have about talked this topic to death. No proof has been posted to support the ban on earphones at trackdays. So it is what it is.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:41 PM   #116
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
I think we have about talked this topic to death. No proof has been posted to support the ban on earphones at trackdays. So it is what it is.
I AGREE with ya here. I just don't understand why we NEED proof...It'll be a sad day when proof arises with a lawsuit or some other tragedy. Until then, carry on. See ya guys at the track...
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:44 PM   #117
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
I AGREE with ya here. I just don't understand why we NEED proof...It'll be a sad day when proof arises with a lawsuit or some other tragedy. Until then, carry on. See ya guys at the track...
So you are ok with all laws and rules be created and forced upon a whole based only on someones opinions? That I don't understand.
Old 02-20-2009, 02:48 PM   #118
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Quote:
So you are ok with all laws and rules be created and forced upon a whole based only on someones opinions? That I don't understand.
you think states have enacted laws without proof?
Old 02-20-2009, 02:52 PM   #119
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
When it comes to me PAYING for a trackday, I expect the orginization to take all appropriate measures to make me (the participant) and the other participants as safe as possible.

This is a safety issue, no way you can argue this....

Just like I expect them to inspect all of the bikes before they let them on the track.

I want the safety of the day to be the #1 thing on the organizations mind, not wether or not someone is unpleased with the guidelines in place.

That is all. Like you said, we've beat this one to death and I think the poll shows what the vast majority expects out of the org.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 02:53 PM   #120
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
you think states have enacted laws without proof?
Just because it happens does it make it right? Laws and rules based on assumptions, guess and opinions are foolhearty! Yes I do believe before something is forced upon me then there should be some facts to back up the decision.

Advertisement