Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Should earphones be allowed on the track?
Yes 22 17.60%
No 79 63.20%
Do as you wish 24 19.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2009, 09:50 AM   #81
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill17 View Post
yeah, that was me jamming on my iphone that you talked to on pit lane. I don't see what the big deal is? I find that I am WAY more focused on riding when I'm listening to good music. One trackday, a while back, my gf was timing my laps and 1/2 way through one session, my mp3 player died, and I was almost 2 seconds a lap slower. My mind seems to wonder without music, and i start thinking about other random stuff and become even more distracted.
and when you passed me, it didn't suprise or scare me at all, eventhough I couldn't hear you coming. I almost think it's better not being able to hear someone behind you. Isn't that why track day organizers make you take off your mirrors and tell you to not look behind you when you're on the track. Something along the lines of "keep a steady line, no sudden moves, if someone is faster than you, they'll find a way to pass you." There's been plenty of times when i've come up on a slower rider, followed them for a couple of turns setting up my pass, and then they made a sudden move to "let me by" because they heard me behind them. I end up having to slame on my brakes because they slow and pull over where I was planning to make my pass.
Why should we worry about rules on listening to music on the track? If someone rides smooth, steady, and predictable, who cares what's in their ears? I've never had any complaints about my riding. and it's not like I'm changing songs out on the track, i put it on shuffle, stick it in my leathers and go.
No worries, I was just getting opinions....the majority seems to agree with me....your lines were predictable, but at some point this may be the cause for a safety concern. Maybe not with you, but with someone with less experience.

and from 2 trackday reps who had input in here (the thread), it appears they don't condone the use of earphones while on the track. It is also evident that this "rule" hasn't been conveyed to the participants very well either.

Thanks for keeping it on topic guys
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seafoam Usage ekfraz How To's and Q & A's 27 10-12-2009 03:35 PM
Earphone Discussion V. 5.2.4b_BigEar Drumboy General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 11-24-2008 08:08 PM
Internet usage?? Hooligan Off Topic 16 07-05-2008 10:05 PM
Lane Filtering Usage specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 64 04-07-2008 12:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-20-2009, 10:20 AM   #82
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
No worries, I was just getting opinions....the majority seems to agree with me....your lines were predictable, but at some point this may be the cause for a safety concern. Maybe not with you, but with someone with less experience.

and from 2 trackday reps who had input in here (the thread), it appears they don't condone the use of earphones while on the track. It is also evident that this "rule" hasn't been conveyed to the participants very well either.

Thanks for keeping it on topic guys

If whether or not the majority "thinks" alike or not is beside the point. I have not seen one post in here to support the No earphones at trackdays. Does anyone have any examples where someone riding with earphones has caused a problem? I would imagine that if it were a problem it would have been addressed at trackday orgs before now. The fact that it hasn't leads me to believe that there has never been a clear cut instance where earphones has caused a saftey concern. It is about personal preference and who are we to force our preferences onto others!

I don't care one way or the other. I am not a die hard earphone user at trackdays. I go without mine more than with. I just hate that some folks think they know what's best for the whole.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:34 AM   #83
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
If whether or not the majority "thinks" alike or not is beside the point. I have not seen one post in here to support the No earphones at trackdays. Does anyone have any examples where someone riding with earphones has caused a problem? I would imagine that if it were a problem it would have been addressed at trackday orgs before now. The fact that it hasn't leads me to believe that there has never been a clear cut instance where earphones has caused a saftey concern. It is about personal preference and who are we to force our preferences onto others!

I don't care one way or the other. I am not a die hard earphone user at trackdays. I go without mine more than with. I just hate that some folks think they know what's best for the whole.

Please don't suggest that "I know what's best for the whole". That is why I put a do as you wish category.

Wether or not it has been a safety concern in the past is not the question here....I think it is pretty evident that NEW trackday participants are coming out in full force. Why wait until there is an accident/mishap to address the issue? Do you not agree that a participants focus should be 100% devoted to the track and other riders once they leave the grid?

If it's a rule, it needs to be known...if it's not a rule, so be it. Trackday organizers are always looking for feedback, this is just my way of bringing issues to light.

I'm pretty sure the statements below support the NO EARPHONES @ trackday idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdrider View Post
Was this at the Ride Smart event last weekend? IF so, please let me know. We strongly encourage earplugs, but earphones/music are not allowed. We will make sure we reitterate the policy at the next event.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
But Tony, what if one of the earphones needs adjusting? What if he is trying to switch songs and with his ipod or MP3 player? You know as well as I do that those are distractions that do not need to be on the track. It's inevitable it will happen, thus there will be a BAN one those at all TTD events.

Last edited by dbuck; 02-20-2009 at 10:37 AM.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:52 AM   #84
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Please don't suggest that "I know what's best for the whole". That is why I put a do as you wish category.

Wether or not it has been a safety concern in the past is not the question here....I think it is pretty evident that NEW trackday participants are coming out in full force. Why wait until there is an accident/mishap to address the issue? Do you not agree that a participants focus should be 100% devoted to the track and other riders once they leave the grid?

If it's a rule, it needs to be known...if it's not a rule, so be it. Trackday organizers are always looking for feedback, this is just my way of bringing issues to light.

I'm pretty sure the statements below support the NO EARPHONES @ trackday idea.

I completely understand what your point is Danny! And yes if a org wants to make it a rule that is thier right. And it should be addressed. It hasn't! Reguardless of what has been posted here. I have heard neither Ride Smart or TTD ever address it at a riders meeting. I will be intrested to see what happens in the future.

And yes I do believe that a riders 100% attention should be on the track. Mine is everytime I ride whether or not I have my earphones on. Again if someone feels that it is a distraction to THEM then they should not where them. But some folks can ride with them and not have a problem. It is clear that we have a difference of opinion. I am ok with that. I would still love to hear some facts to support the idea that riding track with earphones is a saftey concern. I have yet to read any. Only opinions.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:59 AM   #85
texasyankee

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
Harley Low Rider
Kawi ZX6R (Track)

I voted no and I almost never ride the street with earphones in. However, Nascar drivers go 200 mph while talking to their pit crews. Do AMA and MotoGP racers use radios or listen to their pit crews? That would seem more distracting than music.
texasyankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #86
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

No time to read through the thread but i'll say what I think.

The track is a place you pay money to be in a controlled environment where the promoter is presuming to try to make as safe as possible. Obviously by the poll results the vast majority think that you should to be wearing them so the promoters should go with what the majority of the participants deem as acceptable rules.

It even says on the boxes of earphones DO NOT USE WHILE OPEREATING MOTOR VEHICLES. Now I personally think that it is unsafe to use headphones on the streets as it is a big part of riding bikes is hearing the traffic around you to be safe. But I cannot control what others do on the streets so I have insurance. On the track if I saw someone wearing earphones I would complain to the guy running the whole shindig and if he still allowed it I would stop going to his events and let others know he is not running a safe event.

Plus you are there to race motorcycles save the Drowning Pool songs for when youre at home or with the old lady.
ParAvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #87
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Track day organizers are increasingly coming under the microscope for lawsuits. All it would take is for someone to cause a crash wearing earphones, or someone think they crashed because of a rider wearing them, and it opens the door for Jim Adler and the likes to have a field day and shut us all down.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:14 AM   #88
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
Track day organizers are increasingly coming under the microscope for lawsuits. All it would take is for someone to cause a crash wearing earphones, or someone think they crashed because of a rider wearing them, and it opens the door for Jim Adler and the likes to have a field day and shut us all down.
Agreed! Then it needs to be made clear at the riders meeting and maybe in info one has to read and sign when they sign up for a trackday. My point is that it has not been.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #89
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Agreed! Then it needs to be made clear at the riders meeting and maybe in info one has to read and sign when they sign up for a trackday. My point is that it has not been.
Exactly.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:17 AM   #90
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

most states have laws against it here is

Philadelphia law
12-1122. Use of Audio Headphones While Operating Motor Vehicles. [56]

(1) No person shall operate a motor vehicle on a street or highway while wearing headphones connected to an audio device.

(2) For the purposes of this Section, the term motor vehicle shall include any automobile, truck, bus, motorcycle, or motor-bike.

Florida law, for example, states, "No person shall operate a vehicle while wearing a headset, headphone, or other listening device" (Section 316.304)
Old 02-20-2009, 11:20 AM   #91
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParAvion View Post
most states have laws against it here is

Philadelphia law
12-1122. Use of Audio Headphones While Operating Motor Vehicles. [56]

(1) No person shall operate a motor vehicle on a street or highway while wearing headphones connected to an audio device.

(2) For the purposes of this Section, the term motor vehicle shall include any automobile, truck, bus, motorcycle, or motor-bike.

Florida law, for example, states, "No person shall operate a vehicle while wearing a headset, headphone, or other listening device" (Section 316.304)
Not sure it is a law here, but it would seem common sense would tell you no earphones while driving....

Same law should be applied at the track (IMO), especially where riders are running triple digits and one little distraction could result in one huge accident.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:21 AM   #92
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
consider it done
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:23 AM   #93
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Quote:
It is a law here in TX as well...no earphones while driving....

Same law should be applied at the track (IMO), especially where riders are running triple digits and one little distraction could result in one huge accident.
100% agree. Whats more dangerous? Wearing earphones while doing 65 on 59N or going 140 with 4 motorcycles surrounding you within inches.

Which situation would require more use of all senses to keep you out of harms say? Allowing headphone usage is tantamount to a HUGE lawsuit if something happens. I hope you have good insurance if youre promoting a meet where that happens.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #94
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Not sure it is a law here, but it would seem common sense would tell you no earphones while driving....
Common sense? Oh c'mon. In people? Here in Houston in the streets? While driving? Get outta here ...
Old 02-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #95
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:

Really?

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/...e/5829018.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgt. Steve Copelan / Houston Police Department
They can't find the law because it doesn't exist. It is perfectly legal to wear headphones while driving, though not very wise. With headphones, you might not hear sirens, brakes, horns or other sounds of warning that might help you prevent an accident.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:38 AM   #96
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

I just wanted to chime in one this important topic.

And inform you that I like pancakes with blueberries.

TY have a great day.

(ipod + track= no bueno IMO)
Old 02-20-2009, 11:44 AM   #97
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Quote:
100% agree. Whats more dangerous? Wearing earphones while doing 65 on 59N or going 140 with 4 motorcycles surrounding you within inches.
I would say doing 65 on 59N. On the streets you have to constantly be aware of every other vehicle on the road. You have the traffic behind you, oncoming traffic, soccer mom on a cellphone not paying attention, dogs ready to run in front of you. It is much more important to be aware of your sorroundings on the street. Not saying that t is not important on the track. But on the track most of what you need to be focused on is in front of you.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:48 AM   #98
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
Really, that is why I said I'm not sure if this is a law or not.
Old 02-20-2009, 11:51 AM   #99
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Really, that is why I said I'm not sure if this is a law or not.
Sorry I read it wrong the first time.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2009, 11:58 AM   #100
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:

Which situation would require more use of all senses to keep you out of harms say?
Again with this. Where are the FACTS that state riding track with music distracts EVERYONE and doesn't allow them to you use all of their senses? No one who supports a ban on earphones at trackdays has yet to prove this. It is all their personal opinions. Where are the facts or examples of earphones causing a saftey concern.

Sidebar.... We all complain about the goverment taking away our right to decide what is best for us. Example... the whole gun issue. Or our freedom of religion. When is it enough? When are we gonna be allowed to choose what is right for us without someone elses opinions dictating what we can or can not do. When is personal responsibility gonna be enough to govern our own lives. I have been guilty of this very same thing with the smoking bans. I am personally and all for it, but I can see where my personal opinion clouds my judgement.

Reguardless of how I feel I will abide by the rules of the trackday org I choose to ride with. Do I believe that it is right No.

Advertisement