MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Should earphones be allowed on the track?
Yes 22 17.60%
No 79 63.20%
Do as you wish 24 19.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #61
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

While I always wear mine on the street, I have opted to NOT wear them at the track. I have also left my sunglasses off the track even though I wear those on the street as well. My thinking, while possibly flawed, was I didn't wan't anything else in my helmet in case of a highspeed off.

As well, I have used the engine buzz to gauge shift points, braking markers, and ofcourse being shown a wheel. Remember you have no mirrors, and while it is the person behinds responsibility for a safe pass, if you are holding someone up it is also the person in fronts repsonsibility to let them by. Remember it's a trackday, there are no trophies at the finish.

BUT I also thank Dbuck for the Do as you wish option. In the end, that is how it should be.

Last edited by tiatool; 02-19-2009 at 05:53 PM.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seafoam Usage ekfraz How To's and Q & A's 27 10-12-2009 03:35 PM
Earphone Discussion V. 5.2.4b_BigEar Drumboy General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 11-24-2008 08:08 PM
Internet usage?? Hooligan Off Topic 16 07-05-2008 10:05 PM
Lane Filtering Usage specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 64 04-07-2008 12:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2009, 05:52 PM   #62
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
why should one care what's behind them? or care to hear them coming for the matter?

back to the basics that every trackday org will say...."don't pay attention to what's behind you, look ahead, and if someone is going to pass, it's up to them to make the safe pass."

i'm just argueing for the sake of argueing (not trying to get under anyone's skin)....i don't condone the music thing myself, but i think a rider should do as they wish.
I VERY RARELY look back, usually it's to see where Hooligan, CDill and Maxgs are at, but I think it's kinda important. I can hear when people are on my and I appreciate knowing that I am about to be passed....

I'm more concerned about it taking away from FOCUS and riding over their head while jamming to some SLipknot or Korn or somethin'.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:58 PM   #63
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
While I always wear mine on the street, I have opted to NOT wear them at the track. I have also left my sunglasses off the track even though I wear those on the street as well. My thinking, while possibly flawed, was I didn't wan't anything else in my helmet in case of a highspeed off.

As well, I have used the engine buzz to gauge shift points, braking markers, and ofcourse being shown a wheel. Remember you have no mirrors, and while it is the person behinds responsibility for a safe pass, if you are holding someone up it is also the person in fronts repsonsibility to let them by. Remember it's a trackday, there are no trophies at the finish.

BUT I also thank Dbuck for the Do as you wish option. In the end, that is how it should be.
I got to keep it PC

although it should be that way in your opinion, does it not matter that approx. 70% of participants feel like it shouldn't be allowed? and that they feel their safety is compromised due to someone not being able stand 20 minutes of riding without using their earphones? Very rarely do I walk through the pits to find people jamming their boomboxes or walking around with their IPODS in their ears.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 06:12 PM   #64
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
I personally, am going to say not for me.

A few reasons:

1: I don't like the idea of ripping my helmet off and/or fuvcking with something in my jacket to talk to another rider or an instructor on pit road or else where, where ever applicable.

2: Who doesn't love the sound of your engine screaming out of the sweeper at MSRH, or anywhere else for that matter? I get half a stock just thinking about it.

3: I like to know when someone like Larry, Derek, Tony, Buck, Alonzo, etc. are creeping up on me. Usually by the time I hear guys like them, it's too late and they're already around me. But still, it's good to know when someone is behind you, without having to look.

4: Unless you have an ultra quite helmet, you're going to have to turn the volume up to ear popping levels. I don't know about you, but I'm not trying to buy a hearing aid anytime sooner then I already have to.

I will say however, everyone has their own way of getting "into the zone". Mine just happens to be pretending that I'm Rossi. But if headphones are your way of doing it, and as long as you can stay focus and not put anyone else in danager.......then I don't think it's a problem.
Old 02-19-2009, 06:29 PM   #65
Brian f.

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
I personally, am going to say not for me.

A few reasons:

1: I don't like the idea of ripping my helmet off and/or fuvcking with something in my jacket to talk to another rider or an instructor on pit road or else where, where ever applicable.

2: Who doesn't love the sound of your engine screaming out of the sweeper at MSRH, or anywhere else for that matter? I get half a stock just thinking about it.

3: I like to know when someone like Larry, Derek, Tony, Buck, Alonzo, etc. are creeping up on me. Usually by the time I hear guys like them, it's too late and they're already around me. But still, it's good to know when someone is behind you, without having to look.

4: Unless you have an ultra quite helmet, you're going to have to turn the volume up to ear popping levels. I don't know about you, but I'm not trying to buy a hearing aid anytime sooner then I already have to.
I will say however, everyone has their own way of getting "into the zone". Mine just happens to be pretending that I'm Rossi. But if headphones are your way of doing it, and as long as you can stay focus and not put anyone else in danager.......then I don't think it's a problem.
Solved.

They work just like earplugs (see description: 36db noise reduction) and thus you BARELY have the music on and hear both the music clearly and your surrondings. I use them everday on the street and have not missed or not moticed anything i wouldnt have with an equivalent earplug. Without that product or an equivalent i too then say music has to be turned up way to loud, but with that product its a different type of discussion.

That being said, i dont ride AT ALL without either those in my head, or just plain traditional earplugs.....which happens to only be on track.
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:01 PM   #66
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax143 View Post
*Note to self...if I come up on this bike during a trackday...give her plenty of room...she is not going to hear me coming. I'd hate to be one of the bikes 'distracting' her as I go wizzing by.

I'm rather disappointed that an 'instructor' uses music. I would've thought there was enough to do watching her students and setting a good example.

More power to ya!

With well over 70 trackdays under my belt and I have been buzzed and buzzed more times than I can count and I have never had 1 problem! Just because something is distracting for YOU! Doesn't give you the right to tell someone else what is distracting for them! Like I stated earlier I don't have mine directly in my ears! I have them in my cheek pads and I hear able to everything that goes one with my bike and bikes around me! I am able to hold conversations with people while having my helmet on!
Old 02-19-2009, 08:24 PM   #67
MadMax143

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

No worries gurl.

Half joking/half not. Not trying to stir up too much chit with nobody as I'm sure we will all cross apexes at some point.

So no need to kick at me when I go by (or you go by)!
MadMax143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 08:44 PM   #68
kingralphthe3rd
larry's fan club manager

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 GSXR 1K (SOLD!!) 08 GSXR 750 & 07 DIZZER 400, 09 GSXR 600

Member Garage

Quote:
you should be able to wear whatever you want under your helmet.....it is the rider BEHIND that is responsible for making the safe pass. the rider in front needs to do nothing but focus on his/her own ride.

i wouldn't be jammin to music, but if it helped me focus on the ride.....i'd be wearing my ipod in a heartbeat.

btw, all you guys who voted NO, please explain? i think my statement proves all your no's wrong.
+10000000000000000
Old 02-19-2009, 09:22 PM   #69
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
No worries gurl.

Half joking/half not. Not trying to stir up too much chit with nobody as I'm sure we will all cross apexes at some point.

So no need to kick at me when I go by (or you go by)!
It's all good! Everyone is has their opinions! Over the past 4 years of track riding I have ridden with all 4 orgs and have never heard anyone anything about riding with earphones! I know alot of people don't but a few do! If someone feels that it is distracting for them to ride with music then by all means they should not, but to ban something based on your personal preference is wrong!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #70
andygill17

Bike(s):
'99 sv 650 bobber race bike

yeah, that was me jamming on my iphone that you talked to on pit lane. I don't see what the big deal is? I find that I am WAY more focused on riding when I'm listening to good music. One trackday, a while back, my gf was timing my laps and 1/2 way through one session, my mp3 player died, and I was almost 2 seconds a lap slower. My mind seems to wonder without music, and i start thinking about other random stuff and become even more distracted.
and when you passed me, it didn't suprise or scare me at all, eventhough I couldn't hear you coming. I almost think it's better not being able to hear someone behind you. Isn't that why track day organizers make you take off your mirrors and tell you to not look behind you when you're on the track. Something along the lines of "keep a steady line, no sudden moves, if someone is faster than you, they'll find a way to pass you." There's been plenty of times when i've come up on a slower rider, followed them for a couple of turns setting up my pass, and then they made a sudden move to "let me by" because they heard me behind them. I end up having to slame on my brakes because they slow and pull over where I was planning to make my pass.
Why should we worry about rules on listening to music on the track? If someone rides smooth, steady, and predictable, who cares what's in their ears? I've never had any complaints about my riding. and it's not like I'm changing songs out on the track, i put it on shuffle, stick it in my leathers and go.
andygill17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:31 PM   #71
andygill17

Bike(s):

btw, here's the earbuds I use: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx
they're the
Old 02-19-2009, 09:35 PM   #72
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:36 PM   #73
Candie

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by andygill17 View Post
btw, here's the earbuds I use: http://www.etymotic.com/ephp/er6i.aspx
they're the
Dang those are expensive! Mine were 10 bucks at walmart! I wired them into my cheekpads and they work fine! Granted I can't hear every note of every song just the general beat of the song but for the price difference I will stick with my cheap ones!!
Old 02-19-2009, 09:39 PM   #74
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
Dang those are expensive! Mine were 10 bucks at walmart! I wired them into my cheekpads and they work fine! Granted I can't hear every note of every song just the general beat of the song but for the price difference I will stick with my cheap ones!!
you would be surprised candie. once you hear music the right way through a good set of phones/buds with quality drivers you will never want to go back. etymotic makes some good earbuds.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #75
andygill17

Bike(s):

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
yeah, mine were a x-mas present. but if I had to, i'd buy a set in a second. they're they only ones i've tried that fit comfortably under a helmet and the sound quality is amazing. you can hear stuff in a song that you've never heard before, plus, you don't have to turn up the volume any louder than you normally would because they block out much of the background noise.

didn't mean to thread-jack....
Old 02-19-2009, 10:14 PM   #76
andygill17

Bike(s):

as you can see here, music makes me so focused I can ride, eyes closed, whilst dragging knee mid-corner....lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2927a.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	133.9 KB
ID:	19685  
Old 02-19-2009, 10:24 PM   #77
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
so you cannot drive your car and crank the music up?

when i'm gettin sleepy and on the road....i crank the music up and roll the windows down to keep me focused on the road and awake

i didn't vote yes btw, i voted do as you wish.
Actually I do but not when I drive my car like I am on a racetrack. Then in fact I turn the music OFF . But I enjoyed a different drivers ed than most people here so not a good comparo.
Also if I look for streets and am kinda lost I turn the music in the car off or down to better focus.
Old 02-19-2009, 10:25 PM   #78
Brian f.

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

This whole thread and idea has been way over analyzed.

Apparently music will make you:
*Not let someone pass who "should" be passing.
*Not hear your bike or any surronding noises what so ever.
*Will impair you judgement and make you ride over your head.

Boy, im sure we have never seen any of those happen ata trackday even when music is not present , especially the last one.
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 10:40 PM   #79
mike

Member Garage

Quote:

Next thing you know these idiots will want to use their earbud cellphones (bluetooth) on the track too.
WAIT! Are you saying that this is a bad idea? but I need to be on the phone ALL the time.
Old 02-20-2009, 01:16 AM   #80
Wormgear

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Quote:
so you cannot drive your car and crank the music up?

when i'm gettin sleepy and on the road....i crank the music up and roll the windows down to keep me focused on the road and awake

i didn't vote yes btw, i voted do as you wish.
Let's hope we're not getting sleepy on the track
I use them a lot on the street but never on the track. I think I wouldn't even hear the music and if I did it would be an annoyance. That's just me though.
Ima vote no here though cuz I think it COULD be a distraction for some and can't BELIEVE it could improve any-ones abilities.
Here are some other things I never could believe.
A woman when she weeps, a merchant when he swears
A thief who says he'll pay, a lawyer when he cares
A snake when it's sleeping, a drunkard when he prays
I don't believe you go to heaven when your good.
Everything goes to anyway.

Advertisement