MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

View Poll Results: Should earphones be allowed on the track?
Yes 22 17.60%
No 79 63.20%
Do as you wish 24 19.20%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #41
Dreamer!!

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07 Ninja 250 (Sold), 93 CBR 900RR

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Dreamer!! Send a message via MSN to Dreamer!! Send a message via Yahoo to Dreamer!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by blends View Post
maybe but it seems very unlikely that music would help anyone focus on the track. seems like more of a distraction than anything. if this other rider couldn't even hear dbucks pass, how does he even hear his own engine and know when to shift? i sure don't look down at the tach for every shift, i listen to the engine to know when to shift.

i voted no headphones
although i dont track...yet...i can feel when i need to shift, even with headphones on during street riding
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Seafoam Usage ekfraz How To's and Q & A's 27 10-12-2009 03:35 PM
Earphone Discussion V. 5.2.4b_BigEar Drumboy General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 11-24-2008 08:08 PM
Internet usage?? Hooligan Off Topic 16 07-05-2008 10:05 PM
Lane Filtering Usage specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 64 04-07-2008 12:43 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-19-2009, 02:32 PM   #42
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #43
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax143 View Post
No...absolutely NOT!! Not on the track.

BTW...I am a former MSF instructor and am a licensed Expert racer.

There have been countless times where someone might try to come up the inside of me and I would hear them and leave just that little bit of extra room. I wouldn't leave the door wide open, but I'd leave enough to where we could BOTH get thru the turn together (side-by-side) if needed.

If I would've been dumb enough to wear music...we both would've gone down because I would've pinched them off.

If you can't make it thru a 20min track session without the stupid IPOD for stimulation then you need another hobby.

Next thing you know these idiots will want to use their earbud cellphones (bluetooth) on the track too.
EXCELLENT example of what I'm talking about!!!!! Being able to hear the rider and anticipating their pass. Nothing says SPOOKED like going through a turn "blind" (or deaf in this case) and having someone suprise you with a pass on the inside or outside.

As for the comment about a deaf rider...he has no choice in the matter.
and for the record, I have several deaf relatives and they make up for their lack of hearing with their other senses, primarily a keen sharpness with eyesight.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 02:41 PM   #44
MadMax143

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
can I sing to meself then?
Absolutely! I do that all the time.

Que the Styx 'Fly like an eagle' song...I've been singing that to myself while riding since I was 10...I swear it makes me faster!

But I stand by my earlier statement about NO outside music while on the track.
MadMax143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:27 PM   #45
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

No for me! I know if I was riding along and a song came on that got me all fired up. I’d start riding over my head, drop my bike, wreck my truck on the way home, yell at the wife, kick the dog, drink my self into alcoholism, then stop going to work and lose my job. Not me, I’m sticking with earplugs…
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:40 PM   #46
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
can I sing to meself then?
lol. You say that. I have caught myself randomly singing in my helmet on warm up laps trying to get the rubber hot but after the 2nd lap or so I am usually too concentrated on what I am doing to be singing.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 03:53 PM   #47
Candie

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
you should be able to wear whatever you want under your helmet.....it is the rider BEHIND that is responsible for making the safe pass. the rider in front needs to do nothing but focus on his/her own ride.

i wouldn't be jammin to music, but if it helped me focus on the ride.....i'd be wearing my ipod in a heartbeat.

btw, all you guys who voted NO, please explain? i think my statement proves all your no's wrong.
+1 I ride with mine all the time at the track. I don't have them in my ears but wired into my cheek pads so I can still hear my bike etc. They have never been a distraction for me.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:00 PM   #48
Candie

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
But Tony, what if one of the earphones needs adjusting? What if he is trying to switch songs and with his ipod or MP3 player? You know as well as I do that those are distractions that do not need to be on the track. It's inevitable it will happen, thus there will be a BAN one those at all TTD events.

Oops. I wore mine at countless events and no one knew because it doesn't hinder ones ability to ride. Oh well!
Old 02-19-2009, 04:09 PM   #49
skmart2
Stephanie

Experience: 9-12 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
none right now :(
07 ninja 250 - sold
07 ZZR 600 - sold

since my only experience on the track is with parade laps, i'm not sure my opinion really counts here, but....for myself - i find it to be distracting when i'm ridding with head phones so i choose not to have music when i ride. as far as the track goes, i would think it would be a bad idea to have earphones on since my guess is that you would want to be as alert as possible to what all is going on around you but again, my only experience on the track is with parade laps.
Old 02-19-2009, 04:10 PM   #50
Moody
Holy Smokes!

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):

Motor is my music.

Open your eyes and reclaim the freedom you were born with. - Moody
Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:47 PM   #51
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

I don't autocross or DE the car with music.
I don't ski with music.
I don't ride the motorcycle with music in any setting.
I MUST have music when driving the car normally.
I bicycle with music 50% of the time.

I use music to keep idle portions of my brain entertained. When I'm doing high-intensity activities like track days, I don't have any left-over brain power to think about things like adjusting earphones, adjusting volume, skipping songs, etc.
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 04:56 PM   #52
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
guess who's back!!!!

as i said earlier, it's up to the rider behind to make the safe pass during a trackday.....and if you're racing....don't let them pass!!!!! block them and shut that door!

it would be a WAY DIFFERENT story if the guy was jammin to music and wasn't paying attention and rear ended someone trying to pass them, but that's not the case we are talking about.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:00 PM   #53
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
guess who's back!!!!

as i said earlier, it's up to the rider behind to make the safe pass during a trackday.....and if you're racing....don't let them pass!!!!! block them and shut that door!

it would be a WAY DIFFERENT story if the guy was jammin to music and wasn't paying attention and rear ended someone trying to pass them, but that's not the case we are talking about.
Why wait until we cross that bridge??? It'll be too late then, no?
Old 02-19-2009, 05:28 PM   #54
Allen

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07' ZX6R

I like ear plugs at the track and the street. The wind noise is so annoying now.
Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:38 PM   #55
MadMax143

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
+1 I ride with mine all the time at the track. I don't have them in my ears but wired into my cheek pads so I can still hear my bike etc. They have never been a distraction for me.
*Note to self...if I come up on this bike during a trackday...give her plenty of room...she is not going to hear me coming. I'd hate to be one of the bikes 'distracting' her as I go wizzing by.

I'm rather disappointed that an 'instructor' uses music. I would've thought there was enough to do watching her students and setting a good example.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:40 PM   #56
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
*Note to self...if I come up on this bike during a trackday...give her plenty of room...she is not going to hear me coming. I'd hate to be one of the bikes 'distracting' her as I go wizzing by.

I'm rather disappointed that an 'instructor' uses music. I would've thought there was enough to do watching her students and setting a good example.
do me a favor....keep the BS out of this thread.

I too was suprised to hear this, but nonetheless, it is why I created this thread....TO BRING AWARENESS TO PARTICIPANTS AND TRACKDAY ORGS.
It is evident that this "rule" has not been covered in the past and I kinda expect to hear it at the next riders meeting I attend.
Old 02-19-2009, 05:41 PM   #57
mikes-si

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2006 kawasaki zx-6r

Off topic, but what kind of head phones do you guys use? I can't get any kind to stay in when I put the helmet on.. I have ipod ones and some sony kind but none of them stay!
mikes-si is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:42 PM   #58
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes-si View Post
Off topic, but what kind of head phones do you guys use? I can't get any kind to stay in when I put the helmet on.. I have ipod ones and some sony kind but none of them stay!
search button...plenty of threads about earphones and feedback on them....let's keep this one on topic please....the poll is just showing me exactly what I thought...for the most part.

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...ight=earphones

Last edited by dbuck; 02-19-2009 at 05:45 PM. Reason: Just shedding some light on the search function
Old 02-19-2009, 05:47 PM   #59
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
Quote:

why should one care what's behind them? or care to hear them coming for the matter?

back to the basics that every trackday org will say...."don't pay attention to what's behind you, look ahead, and if someone is going to pass, it's up to them to make the safe pass."

i'm just argueing for the sake of argueing (not trying to get under anyone's skin)....i don't condone the music thing myself, but i think a rider should do as they wish.

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2009, 05:50 PM   #60
MadMax143

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

Quote:
guess who's back!!!!

Another note to self...if I come up behind this rider at a trackday or race weekend...this guy will slam the door on me (or 'park' me) in every attempt to keep me from passing. That being said (based on his own view)...it perfectly OK to slam the door on him.

Fortunately I don't ride like that.

I'm old (and wise) enough to realize that there are folks faster than me. Maybe this comes from years of endurance racing or just out there practicing with the really fast experts (Ty Howard, Dane Westby, etc). I don't know.

There was one particular instance at the Eagles Canyon endurance race...Cory Burleson came up from behind...I heard him and left enough room and we went thru the corner side-by-side. He would have T-boned me if I hadn't heard him. He waved his boot afterwards to say thanks (and later came and found me in the pits to thank me in person). That 'thank you' means more to me than some macho door slamming. That move saved us both that day. It's all about respect.

But I supposed you are so fast you don't get passed.

Advertisement