Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 09:46 AM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Electronics limited and Friday morning practices scrapped for 2009 season

Quote:
Electronic systems will be partially limited in MotoGP and Friday morning practices removed from Grand Prix schedules as of the 2009 season following a Grand Prix Commission meeting in Geneva.

At a meeting of the Grand Prix Commission on Wednesday a number of rule changes have been made with immediate affect, ahead of the 2009 MotoGP World Championship.

At the headquarters of the Fédération Internationale de Motocyclisme in Geneva, Switzerland, in the presence of FIM president Vito Ippolito, the Grand Prix Commission ratified proposals put forward and agreed on unanimously by the MSMA in meetings held earlier this year in Japan and Malaysia.

The amendments to the Road Racing World Championship Grand Prix Regulations address issues raised over the cost of competing in the championship with regards to the 2009 MotoGP season and beyond.

As of the 2009 season Friday morning free practice sessions for all classes have been removed from the Grand Prix schedules and all MotoGP practice sessions (including qualifying) have been reduced to 45 minutes in length.

Electronic and hydraulic launch control systems and electronic suspension systems have been banned.

Furthermore, in the eight 2009 MotoGP World Championship races which follow the summer break, commencing with the 14th-16th August trip to the Czech track of Brno, each MotoGP rider will be restricted to the use of a maximum of five engines until the end of the season.

The FIM will formally announce the rule changes this afternoon.
a step in the right direction IMO
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
2009 CMRA Season Thanks.... houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 26 10-21-2009 11:42 AM
2009 Dove Season urbanXJ Off Topic 27 09-30-2009 09:19 PM
New image for 2009 season. ileono918 General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 02-04-2009 09:58 AM
New Ride for 2009 Season Timme' Taking it to the Track 17 01-04-2009 01:20 PM
2009 CMRA and CCS season 0oAndyo0 Taking it to the Track 40 12-03-2008 03:01 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2009, 09:56 AM   #2
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
WoooOOOOOoooooo...........

Back to good ole slip'n & slide'n, wheel poppin, high side'n fun.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:58 AM   #3
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

I know, technology, making things better and what not.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
WoooOOOOOoooooo...........

Back to good ole slip'n & slide'n, wheel poppin, high side'n fun.
not just yet ,
traction control is not mentioned, I'm assuming launch control systems to be those employed only off the start line
Old 02-18-2009, 10:26 AM   #5
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
not just yet ,
traction control is not mentioned, I'm assuming launch control systems to be those employed only off the start line
Yea......but I'm hoping without that little extra help keeping the suspension in optimal operating range, we'll see some more shake and bake under the seat. (no )

Sometimes I have to youtube some old 500cc race clips just to get my fix.

Do you think laptimes will suffer? Let's hope it evens out the playing field a little bit for the satelite guys.

Last edited by RoadracerNC; 02-18-2009 at 10:28 AM.
RoadracerNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:30 AM   #6
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadracerNC View Post
Yea......but I'm hoping without that little extra help keeping the suspension in optimal operating range, we'll see some more shake and bake under the seat. (no )

Sometimes I have to youtube some old 500cc race clips just to get my fix.

Do you think laptimes will suffer? Let's hope it evens out the playing field a little bit for the satelite guys.

bring back the 990's with NO electronic aids
Old 02-18-2009, 10:33 AM   #7
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

I'm all for it, but they are springing this on the teams a little late in the game. Don't you think? I mean we are less than a month away and they have to get their bikes working right without the electronics, and now they have one less day of riding to do that in.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:39 AM   #8
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
I'm all for it, but they are springing this on the teams a little late in the game. Don't you think? I mean we are less than a month away and they have to get their bikes working right without the electronics, and now they have one less day of riding to do that in.
I definately agree that this should have been announced sooner.
Old 02-18-2009, 10:47 AM   #9
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

I don't think any of us really know how the electronics are packaged into the bike but I'm guessing it wouldn't be too difficult to remove launch control and electronic aided suspension is so new that arguably traditional suspension is as competitive at this point and readily available!!

I would speculate that they stopped short of removing traction control at this time because that is going to be infinitely more involved.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #10
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Did you all see this???

MotoGP has imposed a restriction of 5 motors from the Czech race to the end of the season. If the penalty for using more than 5 motors is being forced to start from the back of the grid.

Would you take the penalty for a new engine?
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:45 PM   #11
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Did you all see this???

MotoGP has imposed a restriction of 5 motors from the Czech race to the end of the season. If the penalty for using more than 5 motors is being forced to start from the back of the grid.

Would you take the penalty for a new engine?
It doesn't work in F1 which is where the proposal came from
Old 02-18-2009, 04:27 PM   #12
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
we are ok here, Stoner doesn't use Launch control, Dany, well he is in trouble LOL
Old 02-18-2009, 04:32 PM   #13
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
i think you missed and important one

3. Ceramic composite materials are not permitted for brakes disc or pads.
Old 02-18-2009, 04:38 PM   #14
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by alrova View Post
i think you missed and important one

3. Ceramic composite materials are not permitted for brakes disc or pads.
I thought they used carbon composite

so is it back to steels????
Old 02-18-2009, 04:40 PM   #15
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
I think this is a bad idea for GPs. GPs are where the manufacturers should be testing the craziest stuff. Where's new tech going to come from if there's not a single class in racing to try it out in?
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:45 PM   #16
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
I think this is a bad idea for GPs. GPs are where the manufacturers should be testing the craziest stuff. Where's new tech going to come from if there's not a single class in racing to try it out in?
there has to be a compromise or MotoGP will end up like F1.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:09 PM   #17
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
F1 the class that gave as paddle shifting, aquatread tires, coilovers, and anti-lock brakes. Yea.....that would suck.

SOME class needs to be at the forefront of technology. This should be GP.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 05:12 PM   #18
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
+1. I think the manufacturers have the resources to R&D privately. They can develope test mules to R&D with and employ test riders to fine tune the systems. It may employ a few more guys at the same time. Racing costs are getting out of hand, and making more affordable will help keep the competition on the grid. WSBK is a prime example, those guys run on shoestring budgets, but if they have a decent rider they can enjoy some sucesses. In Motogp, if your not dumping 10+ million into your machines your screwed no matter who is riding the thing.
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:41 PM   #19
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
F1 the class that gave as paddle shifting, aquatread tires, coilovers, and anti-lock brakes. Yea.....that would suck.

SOME class needs to be at the forefront of technology. This should be GP.
and that's the difference between a race fans perspective and an engineering biased view.
F1 is as boring as **** IMO, one overtake per race is cause for celebration and the race is often deceided in the pits and according to fuel stratergy............
yet the cars push the boundaries of mechanical and aerodynamic knowhow...
big deal, you can keep it.
I'm not suggesting MotoGP should take up a production bike format (see WSBK which is flourishing nicely thankyou very much) but bring down the costs and take away some of the rider aids that dilute the spectacle.
The word I used was compromise.

PS anti-lock brakes were first used on trains in the early 1900's
and paddle shifting, don't make me laugh
Old 02-18-2009, 09:06 PM   #20
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Rule changes is the last thing they need and will not save money. They will increase the cost to race, that is if you want to win. When you make a change those with the most resorces will find the optimum setup first. This leaves the priveters to lag the factories.

F1 went down this road and only after leaving the rules alone has the series become more competive and more cost effective. Rule changes shift resources to R&D vs maintaining the expenses of the team to keep racing. Teams that have money are going to spend it and those who don't will be hung out to dry.

How long have they been running 800s, before then 990, and the 500s. They need to not make any major changes. This ones no biggi but looks like its the start of more to come.

As for technology, I know its a dramatic example to use but, would you prefer a sport that spends billions perfecting an older technology as NASCAR does or one that actually deveolps somthing useful.

F1 and even the old IMSA GTP series developed small displacement turbo engs, areodynamics and much more that are making forien cars suppieor to US ones. What has NASCAR contributed with all the Millions spent there each year on a 1940s technology. As a result if you want to buy a car that is technically sound, refined that offers performance and efficency do you buy American or somthing else. That's why US auto makers keep making engine with push rods.

Think if AMA never got over its hardon for flat track where we would be with US bike technology. Were still recovering as Harrly continues with there push rods. Its very exiting to watch flat track and takes special skills but it does nothing to develop technology.

Advertisement