Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 11:03 PM   #1
KillinTime

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

Any1 Hav the TRE on there gsxr 1000??

Just wondering if any1 has installed the TRE on there 1000 and is it worth the money? Do you get that big of a gain? I was reading about it and a site said that ur bike will always read 5th gear on the 05-08. Any input would be great!
KillinTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
06 gsxr 1000 with a 07 gsxer 1000 motor in it??? mrjohnican General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 09-22-2015 08:07 AM
GSXR 1000 shock on a gsxr 600 zx10r08 Performance and Modifications 4 02-11-2012 05:48 PM
'06 GSXR 1000 Rear Seat on '07 GSXR 600? Triple T General Discussion (Moto Related) 2 12-18-2011 03:07 PM
05 GSXR 1000 gauge mount fit 06 GSXR 600? moose2590 General Discussion (Moto Related) 0 11-11-2011 10:43 AM
06 gsxr 600 VS 02 gsxr 1000 FasterFaster Taking it to the Track 13 01-01-2008 02:49 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2009, 11:13 PM   #2
maxgs

Member Garage

This is one I've researched a lot and I've yet to convince myself to buy one. JSD makes one, the JSD Pro that preserves your gear indicator display. I don't own one yet because even the guy who designed it suggests that I might only gain 1 or 2 mph on the top end. I understand there is a more noticeable improvement down low, but I don't need any more power there.

Gixxer.com has some great threads on this topic...

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=139744

Note it was JeffD who I talked to about it, the designer of the JSD Pro. For my bike with a full PCM system with ignition and full race exhaust and -1 on the front sprocket, he didn't anticipate significant improvements in top end.
Old 02-18-2009, 09:57 AM   #3
Got-Busa?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

What are you trying to accomplish with a TRE...?

It doesn't add power or anything....the main purpose is to remove the 6th gear restriction. A proper tune is what you need since the TRE puts the bike in 5th gear mapping at all times.
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 12:54 PM   #4
KillinTime

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

"The retardation reduces power and is done to limit partial throttle opening power in the lower gears (to prevent inexperienced riders from pulling wheelies) and acts as a speed limiter (300 km/h / 186 mph) of the motorcycle"

From doing a little reading off other sites.. People say you can tell a big difference, I just don't like that your gear indicator always shows your in 5th. The JSD-2 is the only one that said your indicator still works right. But what could they be doing that others are not or don't know about?

Pulled this info off the web:

The TRE is a device which allows much better throttle response in the first 4 gears on EFI sportbikes. What the motorcycle manufacturers have done is make a separate ignition map for each gear. This has been done for either safety and/or emissions reasons. However, it limits the power and smoothness of your bike in the first half-turn of the throttle in gears 1 through 4. The motorcycle manufacturers were clever in the design of the stock timing : It still allows full timing at full throttle. As you shift up through the gears, the amount of throttle needed to access the advance curve decreases, until you make it to 5th gear and then it's gone - you have nice, smooth operation. The TRE makes your motorcycle respond just as smoothly in the lower gears.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:33 PM   #5
lisiecki1
survivor of 7/4/08 ride..

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

i have a tre on my zx10 and it did seem to improve throttle response lower in the rev band, it's very noticeable in neutral.......and when i'm like "YUT UGGGGHHHH!" I have to stand on the back break because eventually you will go over...i promise you.....
lisiecki1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:36 PM   #6
ZXALAN
UR NXT

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2000 Turbo-Hayabusa
2013 BMW S1000RR

I had a JSD "Smart" TRE on my 1000 that allowed it to still idle in the neutral map when in neutral and/or clutch pulled in. It felt really good down low but for some reason, the rev limiter would come in 400 rpms early in all gears. I noticed it on the street, then we dynoed it and installed/removed the TRE and it definetly lost 400 rpms with the TRE.... I pulled it off and haven't ran it again..... Just beware of this possibility...

319hp@14lbs(pump gas), 435hp@29lbs(race gas)
Texas Mile Mar 09, 225.906mph, 8.82@168.43 w/1.63 60'-14.5lbs
ZXALAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 01:37 PM   #7
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillInTime View Post
"The retardation reduces power and is done to limit partial throttle opening power in the lower gears (to prevent inexperienced riders from pulling wheelies) and acts as a speed limiter (300 km/h / 186 mph) of the motorcycle"

From doing a little reading off other sites.. People say you can tell a big difference, I just don't like that your gear indicator always shows your in 5th. The JSD-2 is the only one that said your indicator still works right. But what could they be doing that others are not or don't know about?

The TRE is a device which allows much better throttle response in the first 4 gears on EFI sportbikes. What the motorcycle manufacturers have done is make a separate ignition map for each gear. This has been done for either safety and/or emissions reasons. However, it limits the power and smoothness of your bike in the first half-turn of the throttle in gears 1 through 4. The motorcycle manufacturers were clever in the design of the stock timing : It still allows full timing at full throttle. As you shift up through the gears, the amount of throttle needed to access the advance curve decreases, until you make it to 5th gear and then it's gone - you have nice, smooth operation. The TRE makes your motorcycle respond just as smoothly in the lower gears.
I'd agree with the change in throttle response in the lower gears, but why is that an issue? If you want more throttle in 1,2,3,4 simply twist the throttle more. Performance in all gears at WOT remains unchanged. Since you aren't getting any increased power, why bother?

BTW, if you want better throttle response, consider the quicker turning throttle from an R1 or an R6. Costs no more than $20 and reduces throttle turn substantially. I have it and it works well. I still have granular enough control for the track as well.

Last edited by maxgs; 02-18-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 03:09 PM   #8
KillinTime

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisiecki1 View Post
i have a tre on my zx10 and it did seem to improve throttle response lower in the rev band, it's very noticeable in neutral.......and when i'm like "YUT UGGGGHHHH!" I have to stand on the back break because eventually you will go over...i promise you.....

Old 02-18-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
KillinTime

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
I'd agree with the change in throttle response in the lower gears, but why is that an issue? If you want more throttle in 1,2,3,4 simply twist the throttle more. Performance in all gears at WOT remains unchanged. Since you aren't getting any increased power, why bother?

BTW, if you want better throttle response, consider the quicker turning throttle from an R1 or an R6. Costs no more than $20 and reduces throttle turn substantially. I have it and it works well. I still have granular enough control for the track as well.

I have heard about using the R1 throttle before.. What year would you need to use??
Old 02-18-2009, 03:13 PM   #10
Tony1K
CMRA #721

Feedback Rating: (20)

Bike(s):
2015 Aprilia RSV4 Factory Race Bike
2011 YZ450F Dirt
2015 Honda Grom

Had it on my 03 gsxr 1000... Seemed like i got better throttle response, i could tell a difference... If I had another gsxr i would do it again...
Old 02-18-2009, 04:34 PM   #11
Got-Busa?

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:

You can do what you want but I'm going to tell you IMO it's marketing BS! If people feel they get a seat of the pants difference or "increased throttle response" fine.........BUT.........

.....it's been tested on the dyno AND at the track to slow bikes down. Yes....SLOW.....you down.

If you want to try one, you can have mine for $20. I'm going to tell you now you are wasting $20 or whatever ridiculous price they are charging for them these days.

The only one worth a is the switchable one (for top speed) that comes with a gear position indicator for older bikes. However, if you have a newer bike with a gear position indicator, then that's not even needed....

If your only reason for purchase is to remove the top speed limiter, then buy a GPS mod...
Got-Busa? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 04:43 PM   #12
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
I have heard about using the R1 throttle before.. What year would you need to use??
Here is a good write up of the process. It's quite easy.

http://www.gixxer.com/forums/showthr...ght=quick-turn
Old 02-18-2009, 07:10 PM   #13
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
How often are you going to be in a situation where you require speeds over 186ish? I hit up to 180 every other forest ride if Im doing video from the back and wanna make another sweep.

There really isn't a reason for it.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:16 PM   #14
KillinTime

Bike(s):
13' Cbr1000rr
Suzuki Boulevard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaligoneTx View Post
How often are you going to be in a situation where you require speeds over 186ish? I hit up to 180 every other forest ride if Im doing video from the back and wanna make another sweep.

There really isn't a reason for it.

True.. Guess its just more out of curiosity, I would probably never get it after reading everything i have today.

Advertisement