MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2009, 02:53 AM   #41
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
well, i'll chime in with my limited experience with race suspensions...

on my old zx-10r i was running decently fast times around msr-h on the stock suspension. i then upgraded to ohlins forks and a prxls rear shock on the new zx-10r, i lost 5 seconds on my lap times after the switch. it took HOURS of tuning and experimenting to get them dialed in properly. once i did get it dialed in though, i dropped 3 seconds off my best time.

so what am i saying? stock suspensions are very compliant and work well at various settings. race suspensions work much better, but their margin for error is MUCH narrower. when they're setup right, they're a dream, but if your settings are off it's like trying to ride a bull. they're much more sensitive to settings than most stock setups are.

just my 2 cents.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mx suspension question QUICKGIXX Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 2 02-08-2013 10:14 PM
question on suspension settings 1slocbr How To's and Q & A's 11 11-29-2008 08:27 PM
Suspension question maxgs Taking it to the Track 13 06-09-2008 07:54 PM
Suspension Question spidermanfreak2 Taking it to the Track 10 11-06-2006 11:30 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-18-2009, 10:03 AM   #42
Mainit_boi

Feedback Rating: (0)

so what was your best time around MSRH to give you the experience you needed to setup your suspensions?
Mainit_boi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:32 PM   #43
-=DReaux=-
Amateur PiG Wrestler

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 9

Bike(s):
2000 RC-51

Thumbs up You need to add wieght

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hooligan View Post
The only time I feel im maxing out my suspension is turn 1 at TWS (Texas World Speedway). But other then that it feels OK.

So at my weight you think stock suspension is race ready?
I'm 137lbs clean and 165 with gear on my RC51...

Get yer'self a big ol' fat PiG like mine and the bumps through the turns will settle down just fine. She's fat but stable! Unfortunately the bike will take 37 seconds off your current lap times...

(I know... I'm no help...)

DReaux

~PM Racing~
Founder and President of the C. Mancini Haterz Club
-=DReaux=- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 10:37 PM   #44
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

The best you know is the best you've ridden on.....

Riding on stock suspension is having to deal with the manufacturers compromise.
Riding on aftermarket suspension built, sprung and valved for your weight, riding style and tires makes a difference that has to be ridden to be understood.

I've yet to meet or hear of a racer with a properly built suspension that said "stock was better."

My 2 cents, YMMV.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement