MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2009, 09:01 AM   #1
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
1-peice suit fitment

I'm in the market for a 1 piece suit. Yesterday I happened to be at cycle gear, and tried on a Frank Thomas suit that I thought fit pretty well. I used to have an a* 2-piece that I HATED because I had zero flexibility in the legs. This Frank Thomas suit had WAY more leg room. However, I've heard bad things about Frank Thomas suits holding up so probably won't buy one.

I should probably go custom, but I'm impatient and don't want to wait 5+ weeks for a suit to arrive if I don't have to. So I ask ya'll: does anyone know of any brands that are cut like Frank Thomas, but crash better? I've heard good things about fieldsheer, but haven't been able to try one on.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
exhaust fitment messiah How To's and Q & A's 3 09-26-2012 04:44 PM
suomy fitment sbfuller Gear Talk 5 10-15-2007 06:49 PM
HELMET FITMENT H2447INTX Gear Talk 6 09-14-2007 05:04 PM
Helmet fitment issue Costas Gear Talk 19 04-09-2007 06:18 PM
1 peice suit fitment Robert95z Taking it to the Track 23 08-02-2006 04:54 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-17-2009, 09:04 AM   #2
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

I got my Fieldsheer from Motorcycles Unlimited.

Got to try it on, got advice about fit, and paid the same as the best price I could find on the internet.

Patrick FTMFW!
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 09:07 AM   #3
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumblebee View Post
I got my Fieldsheer from Motorcycles Unlimited.

Got to try it on, got advice about fit, and paid the same as the best price I could find on the internet.

Patrick FTMFW!
Does it have a lot of legroom? Thats my biggest concern about buying an off-the-shelf suit: I, apparently, have thunder thighs for a motorcycle rider because most of the suits are skin-tight in the legs.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Old 02-17-2009, 09:16 AM   #4
bumblebee
Yeah I'm flippin' YOU off

Bike(s):
'74 Suzuki GT380
'82 XS650 StreetTracker
'10 Ducati Streetfighter
'83 Yamaha Seca 900

Mine fit me well, I can't say how your thighs are gonna fit. Maybe if you show them to me I could tell....

Wait, did I say that out loud?

Nevermind...
Bevo- "I lack skillz"
bumblebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:47 AM   #5
meadorracing

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
'05 GSXR600 (football pot track bike)
'07 SV650 track bike
'06 SV650 track bike (soon to be converted back to street trim w/'09 bodywork)
KX-85 mini motard

What size did you try on? My sons new custom Syed leathers should be here today and I will be selling his 1 year old black AGV's size 42. He weighs 130 and is 5'9" tall.
meadorracing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:49 AM   #6
you da man

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 7 years

Komodo K-XP suit gets my vote. Best suit I've ever owned and it fits me like it was custom. I'm 6' and 155lbs (I know, skinny ). I used to have issues with AGV and A-stars suits because I'm tall and skinny so in order to fit my legs and arms I had to go up a size which made the torso, thighs, and baggy.
you da man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 10:50 AM   #7
BigComfy

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

I've had a FT suit for 3 years and have yet to have an issue with it. It's not the top of the line stuff but it works especially for the price. In Europe they FT is pretty popular.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:09 AM   #8
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
I've had a FT suit for 3 years and have yet to have an issue with it. It's not the top of the line stuff but it works especially for the price. In Europe they FT is pretty popular.
What is FT?
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:10 AM   #9
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
What is FT?
Frank Thomas
Old 02-17-2009, 11:14 AM   #10
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadorracing View Post
What size did you try on? My sons new custom Syed leathers should be here today and I will be selling his 1 year old black AGV's size 42. He weighs 130 and is 5'9" tall.
I tried on a 48. I wouldn't be having problem with leg fitment if I was 5'9" 130

Quote:
Originally Posted by you da man View Post
Komodo K-XP suit gets my vote. Best suit I've ever owned and it fits me like it was custom. I'm 6' and 155lbs (I know, skinny ). I used to have issues with AGV and A-stars suits because I'm tall and skinny so in order to fit my legs and arms I had to go up a size which made the torso, thighs, and baggy.
I'm 5'9" 230. My problem is not enough girth in the legs.

Quote:
I've been doing a lot of reading on quality. Everything I've read says Frank Thomas stiching is . That, even though they claim to use kevlar thread, the suits come apart at the seams even in low-speed wrecks. FT supposedly repairs them for free......but they can't repair ME for free.

CMRA #302
Old 02-17-2009, 11:15 AM   #11
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

OH.

I've had my Fieldsheer for 5 years. It's been down 3 times and is still kicking. I got it from Motorcycles Unlimited, and it fit perfectly. You want a suit to be a little snug at first
#1 it will stretch some.
#2 the snugger fit helps hold the padding in place in the event of a crash.
#3 A snug fit aids in the air flow in the suit.

I mean you don't want it sprayed on you, and you want to have reasonable flexibility, but it should be snug. No one piece will allow you to raise your hands above your head.....at least not easily.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2009, 11:24 AM   #12
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
OH.

I've had my Fieldsheer for 5 years. It's been down 3 times and is still kicking. I got it from Motorcycles Unlimited, and it fit perfectly. You want a suit to be a little snug at first
#1 it will stretch some.
#2 the snugger fit helps hold the padding in place in the event of a crash.
#3 A snug fit aids in the air flow in the suit.

I mean you don't want it sprayed on you, and you want to have reasonable flexibility, but it should be snug. No one piece will allow you to raise your hands above your head.....at least not easily.

John
I'm not worried about arm flexibility. I'm worried about legs. My a* pants, literally, wouldn't let me stick a knee out they were so tight in the thighs. They were actually hampering my ability to move around on the bike.

CMRA #302
Old 02-17-2009, 11:26 AM   #13
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Do you wear underarmor?
Old 02-17-2009, 11:28 AM   #14
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Do you wear underarmor?

Yup. long sleeve upper and "compression shorts." It helped a little, but even discussing it doesn't matter: I've sold the old pants. I need a new suit to even get back out on the track. Like I said, the FT suit fit GREAT....I'm just not convinced its a quality product, and am looking for something else with a similar cut.

CMRA #302
Old 02-17-2009, 11:31 AM   #15
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
Yup. long sleeve upper and "compression shorts." It helped a little, but even discussing it doesn't matter: I've sold the old pants. I need a new suit to even get back out on the track. Like I said, the FT suit fit GREAT....I'm just not convinced its a quality product, and am looking for something else with a similar cut.
then if you not convinced go with another brand. I've heard good and bad about Fieldsheer. Kawi JM like them and has shared his experience. Buddha wrecked in them at Barber and was not very happy.

Just stay away from Icon
Old 02-17-2009, 11:34 AM   #16
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
then if you not convinced go with another brand. I've heard good and bad about Fieldsheer. Kawi JM like them and has shared his experience. Buddha wrecked in them at Barber and was not very happy.

Just stay away from Icon
does Icon even make a one piece

CMRA #302
Old 02-17-2009, 11:37 AM   #17
BigComfy

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
does Icon even make a one piece
Sarcasm is a form of ironic speech or writing which is bitter or cutting, being intended to taunt its target. Also referred to as joking about something.
Old 02-17-2009, 11:45 AM   #18
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Quote:
Sarcasm is a form of ironic speech or writing which is bitter or cutting, being intended to taunt its target. Also referred to as joking about something.
In that case, thanks for your help.

CMRA #302
Old 02-17-2009, 11:48 AM   #19
ROADandTRACK

Bike(s):
Too many to list

Fieldsheer are the best entry leathers by a mile.

Also buy LOCAL!!!

If you want some great custom leathers get Vanson, Barnacle Bill or Z Custom. All great leathers at great prices.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:59 PM   #20
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

I am 5'7" and 210. Patrick was able to hook me up with a FS suit that fits good. My only complaint is that when standing, they are a like a cheap hotel: NO BALLROOM!!!!

Advertisement