MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2009, 12:25 PM   #21
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
We should have our own version of mythbusters to determine the true cause.
I'll be the test pilot.
Who wants to donate the bike?
Scorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Trackdays here yet?!?! dbuck Taking it to the Track 10 01-21-2009 01:29 PM
??? about trackdays Kingsnake1650 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 11 09-14-2007 05:48 PM
between trackdays.... houseofpaint Taking it to the Track 24 04-26-2007 11:03 AM
TRACKDAYS ! Lobo General Discussion (Moto Related) 6 01-28-2006 07:45 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-16-2009, 12:27 PM   #22
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I'd say when it comes down to it....rider error. He should have been more cautious as he approached slower traffic. You gotta commit when overtaking other riders, no time for second guessing.
dbuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:39 PM   #23
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Feedback Rating: (2)

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

He had already matched the speed of the other two riders and seemed to be in control. He wasn't in a turn. He shouldn't have been holding the clutch, and I don't see why he would stomp the brake.

I've seen this on the street before. Tranny/final drive failure or anything that would suddenly stop the drive wheel. The back tire instantly stops (smokes) , loses traction and tries to pass the front tire. Rider on the ground faster than he can blink.
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 12:45 PM   #24
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPsyclone View Post
The back tire instantly stops (smokes) , loses traction and tries to pass the front tire. Rider on the ground faster than he can blink.
The tyre looks like it is still spinning, but hard to say. I still think he just popped a downshift and lost the back. If you notice the back comes up, which is a symptom of acceleration (back comes up not down under acceleration). He could have simply popped the downshift, bike slides left to right which also causes smoke, and then washed the front by applying the front brake (panic from the slide).

Not ruling out the possibility of a rear end malfunction but watch the rear of the motorcycle it comes up and then slides left to right... then the front washes out.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:47 PM   #25
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

It looks to me....

as the rider should of never been allowed on the track.
Old 02-16-2009, 12:52 PM   #26
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigComfy View Post
It looks to me....

as the rider should of never been allowed on the track.
As always so insightful I think he was so happy to just past the guy with the camera he didn't know what to do about the other guy and shat his pants....
Old 02-16-2009, 12:59 PM   #27
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Bike(s):
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR

That could make sense too. But I don't think he had time to even twitch on the front brake - he had no clue he lost the rear. I don't really see the rear come up (not sayin it's not - just can't make it out myself). Either way, I think it was loss of traction on the rear that put him down. Just another thought - wouldn't the gyroscopic action of the wheel suddenly stopping cause a lift in the rear too? Or am I thinking of that backwards? Oh well - I guess my point is, I've seen riders dumped just like this and it was not at all operator error - these are things I think about when I'm doing highway speed in heavy traffic I mean - thinking about the stress we put on these machines... at what point does a wheel bearing fail, and how much warning would I have??? Not a happy thought.
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
Old 02-16-2009, 01:45 PM   #28
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Bike(s):
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR

I see what you're talking about now - I was thinking at the moment of the dump you saw the back end come up. Yeah, he was clearly deceling hard - but it seemed to be in control. Maybe he did dump the clutch or grab the wrong gear. It clearly took HIM by surprise.
sigpic9903 2
Old 02-16-2009, 01:52 PM   #29
R6Spartan
1000 Killer

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
50th aniv R6 and

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileono918 View Post
Damm, I'm glad I only ride on the street. Nothing bad happens there
NAWWWWWWWWWWWWW u right..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
I think he wrecked. but may be wrong.
Idk DR. but I think you might be right.

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFracer212 View Post
v twins are REALLY bad about lucking rear wheel up when down shifting. I have dropped mine down at the wrong moment and it swap on me.

yes they are
Old 02-16-2009, 03:06 PM   #30
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPsyclone View Post
I see what you're talking about now - I was thinking at the moment of the dump you saw the back end come up. Yeah, he was clearly deceling hard - but it seemed to be in control. Maybe he did dump the clutch or grab the wrong gear. It clearly took HIM by surprise.
One other thing to note, watch the motorcycle after the wreck. The back tire is still moving under power. Watch near the end (when the camera guy gets close to it) it fishes all the way around like 5 times to almost a complete stop, then the back tire catches and spins it around again (the other direction) almost hitting the camera guy.

This Watson is why I don't believe there was a malfunction aka lockup of the rear end. He popped a downshift and lit the back tire up, making it slide!

Last edited by Timme'; 02-16-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Timme' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:10 PM   #31
YZFracer212

Bike(s):
05 SV 1000 ~ Street, 2000 SV 650 ~ track, 2007 RMZ 250 ~ MX, 2003 CRF 88 ~ play

Send a message via AIM to YZFracer212
Quote:
v twins are REALLY bad about lucking rear wheel up when down shifting. I have dropped mine down at the wrong moment and it swap on me.
Wow that has to be the worst post I have ever made, made me sound like I have no education. Should have said v twins are really bad about locking the rear wheel up when down shifting. I have dropped mine down at the wrong moment and had it swap on me.
YZFracer212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 03:17 PM   #32
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Wow that has to be the worst post I have ever made, made me sound like I have no education. Should have said v twins are really bad about locking the rear wheel up when down shifting. I have dropped mine down at the wrong moment and had it swap on me.
It's not that bad....

You should see the late night threads we had when this site first started.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:20 PM   #33
Timme'
Tim-Maaaay!

Bike(s):
08 Triumph Daytona 675

Quote:
ha ha, we knew what you were saying bro. Made perfect sense to me the first time.

Two cylinder motorcycles have relatively bigger pistons that four cylinder bikes, which as everyone knows creates more torque at lower rpms (duh right). When you have that much torque at the lower end of the rpm range you can get into trouble if you pop a downshift at the wrong time. Mainly when the motorcycle is coming off a fast straight, as in this case. Maybe he hit two gears down... you can't tell.
Old 02-16-2009, 03:38 PM   #34
rc51eviltwin

look at his brake side foot right before the crash,he MONKEY STOMPED on the rear brake just long enough.IMO he was tryin to back it in.no malfunction,maybe a loose screw between the handdle bars and seat though.....
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2009, 05:30 PM   #35
Predator04
Proud Former Marine!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07R1 street bike
07R1 Racebike
08GSXR-750 streetbike.... Totalled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpio View Post
We should have our own version of mythbusters to determine the true cause.
I'll be the test pilot.
Who wants to donate the bike?
!

Advertisement