Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2009, 02:34 AM   #21
Thread Savior
Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

1979 Yamaha XS1100 Special

Send a message via AIM to Chris24 Send a message via MSN to Chris24 Send a message via Yahoo to Chris24
1990 fzr 1000 (500+ lb bike)

was making a uturn from southbound 59 feeder, to northbound feeder, under the highway. was close to my house, and work, so i made that u-turn a dozen times a week at least. i had a habit of doing a "texas stop" type of move near the yeild sign as i checked for traffic. if it was clear i would roll on semi aggresivly out of the turn. problem with this is that doesnt pay enough attention to what is front of me.

one day there was some huge spill right there. about 5 gallons worth of something as slippery as oil. rear wheel spun and the back end went wide. somehow i instinctivly got my off the seat and leaned my body way over to the right, give it some more gas. well the bike straightens out but now the back end is drifting less, and i swear to i *knew* i was going to be eating pavement in two seconds. i threw my weight over to the left side of the bike, goosed her for all her glory, and so help me she straightened right out. i got out of the slick and picked up some more traction and everything was ok...well, except for heart rate being about 5 times what it should be. i was spaced out at work the rest of the day, and it was one of those things that made me turn down the volume on my aggresive riding for a few weeks. definatly look out for road hazards through turns, as well as traffic. cant take for granted either is clear.
Brought to you by Carls Jr.!
Chris24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does this scare anyone else? upononer6 Off Topic 15 11-05-2011 07:50 PM
Tell me this isn't the BEST SCARE PRANK EVER! RinasDaddy Off Topic 11 05-03-2008 03:26 PM
If this does not scare you - nothing will. Patrick Off Topic 7 10-19-2006 08:34 PM
another scare tactics flip326 Off Topic 1 12-02-2005 03:11 AM
Old 02-15-2009, 02:39 AM   #22
Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

2011 Kawasaki ZX-10R ABS

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to dudewhrsmybike
Wow, where do I start? Too many scary moments. . .

I was on my 636 coming out of a right handed sweeper on Crabb river road doin about 80-90 and I hit a slick spot and my rear tire slipped out. I kind of fell off the seat a bit and my right foot slipped off the peg and was dragging on the ground for a sec, luckily the bike stayed up and all that and I didn't even go into the other lane. Ask JRGRUBZ, he was RIGHT behind me. That was wild.

Another day I was on the 636 headed back from Crabb River Road riding by myself and I wont say why but I experienced a tank slapper doin about 70ish. Not a cool feeling

I was on the 10R last May riding the Twisted Sisters with Chad (MagicMan) We were on 337 I think and came around a blind curve only to hit some loose gravel in the apex. Lucky for us there was no oncoming traffic because we both almost lost the front end. We went about 2-3 feet into the other lane.
Pretty wild.

A few months ago I was riding Westbound on the BW8 feeder road approaching 288. I decided to take the big sweeper turn instead of going to the freeway via the feeder road, well, luckily I was just "taking it easy @ 70ish" and as I'm 3/4 of the way through the turn there was some white powder ALL over the road. I lost traction in both tires and coulda ate some mad . Luckily the turn was straightening up and it became two lanes so I was allowed the extra space for going wide. Crazy stuff.

Last Thursday I was headed home around 1030ish and got on 288S Via 610E. For those that have gotten on 288 from there, you will know that soon after the interchange there is a hump in the road from where the road surface changes. Well I'm normally chillin in 4th when I hit the hump so I gas it and the front wheel usually comes up a bit, for and giggles if you will. Well, apparently there was some moisture on the road and when I twisted the throttle on the hump, my rear wheel broke loose in 4th gear and I was spinning the tire for about 20 yds. Surprised the outta me.

Um, I ran off at the end of the pit straight @ MSRH in the gravel. Somehow I kept it up, stopped right on the pit entrance road, and got right back on the track

My 636 slipped out from under me right before the apex of the carousel @ MSRH. I was going into that turn at a pretty good pace (75-80 ) Ask Bubby

Flipping over to T13 @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) my front tire buckled and fugged my line up. I had 2 choices, try to make the turn or run off. I ran off. It was wild, ask Skid.

I ran wide coming out of the gravity bowl @ TWS (Texas World Speedway), nuff said Somehow I kept it up

On 11.23.08 TD I ran off coming out of T11 @ TWS (Texas World Speedway), that was wild. I kept it up for the most part but ask everyone else what happened when I was getting back on the track

Now for the scariest. . .

I'd say the time I saved a highside @ MSRH. It was the left hander after the diamonds edge, I almost got catapulted. Once the rear tire caught traction, the whole rear end of the bike jumped in the air to the left side and then did another little jump back to the right, wobbled a bit and I rode it out As far as almost getting thrown off the bike, the chin of my helmet scraped all the way down my windscreen. My leathers rubbed against my tank so hard it left a black streak like a skidmark. Crazy . Ask Chris99, he saw it all go down. It basically looked like the first 3 secs of this video, but I didn't get thrown around nearly as bad.

dudewhrsmybike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:48 AM   #23
El Brilliante
Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 1

Kawasaki EX250 (dead due to mechanical failure)
Kawasaki EX500 (on loan from a friend)
Pending, bikeless once the 500 gone :-(
Want Husky 510SMR or KTM 690 SMC to continue the hooligan activity

holy . wow.

Well, I've had a few "pucker moments." Not too bad, 's been watching out for me, and I try and ride "semi" conseratively.

Riding CR336? towards Twisted Sister with my friend. We haven't ridden together before, though good good friends. He was following a bit to close. I was on my 250 with stainless braided front brakes and new high quality paids, and he was on his Ex500 with older brakes. I had the advantage on stopping and probably flickability in the 20mph curves. Realized I was riding on the edge of my comfort and cliff coming up so I brake realizing better to not "look cool" than ride over my limit and do something stupid on these really really tight back to back curves on a cliff. He was too close locked the back brake up and went in the grass. Did a 360 flip and landed on his feet at 15-25 mph. He's a pro stuntman so he made it look cool, and laid it in the PERFECT stop to just tip it over in the grass. I felt really really bad, but then again, FOLLOWING distance is important.

Other times are mostly due to me starting to ride above my limit, too which I realized tone it down. It's only pride that pushes us too far. Ride my limit and as I grow I can expand it reasonably.

Other than that just normal traffic scares due to commuting in Houston on 2 wheels. Geez, you guys have had some crazies!
specterunseen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 01:10 PM   #24
Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Mine was about a year after I started riding. I was in one of those right turning merge lanes. The light I was at didn't go straight it kinda dead ins into a gas station. The light was green so I was about to pull out but then notice there was a car turn left coming out of the gas station across from me which would put the car and me in the same lane going right. I stop and wait for the car and what do I see next to me is a freaking dump truck. I guess he only saw the green light and didn't see the car. He was so close to me in the lane that he was inches away from my leg. If he had been over another to inches I would have been under the dump truck. Now because of that I check my mirrors constantly to see what is going on behind me.

When I saved a highside while coming about of the diamonds edge at MSRH in the rain. I flew up and my chest hit the top of the tank. I still don't know how I saved that! Guy behind me said he was the coolest thing he ever saw.
If people do not like you then they will not like your .

Last edited by Candie; 02-15-2009 at 01:15 PM.
Candie is offline   Reply With Quote