Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2009, 04:12 PM   #1
Quicksilver

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki Half-a-busa
Harley Davidson Fatboy / Fatbob (April 18, 2009)

The biggest scare you had on the road??

Today, I made a run on the westside and came off the Beltway after cruising for 25+ miles at about 80mph. So I exit and I am going down Richmond and going through several signal lights until I am slowing down on one about to turn red and I start to downshift. Then I hear " plang-a-lang-a-lang" like some metal shattering or maybe glass. But it came from the bottom of my bike and I thought I felt a bump of some sort. If you follow me. So I was like, What the ..... ; cause I couldn't imagine that some thing had F..up on a brand new bike. So I am in traffic,luckily the light is red and I am looking down for an explosion of some type, if chain had broke, looking back to see if something had fell off, neck couldn't 180deg and my eyes are bugged out. I'm in the lane, looking left, right, front, back and started to look for fluid running out. Then my mind say look for a warning light and dash was clear. So light turned green and I was wondering if to pull over or what, so since no warning lights, I just headed down a few more blocks to my destination and hopped off my bike to check it out.
There was no fluids or anything running, no warning lights and then I looked in the rear wheel well and saw a liquid splash over the entire arc. So I guess that I ran over something, but I could swear that my lane was clear. Anyway, I just wiped my brow and went about my business. Came home, no probs.

PS. Come to the think about it, I think there was water at the driveway by destination, so probably no part of earlier sound. Guess must have been metal on the ground that flew up and hit my bike.

Last edited by Quicksilver; 02-14-2009 at 04:16 PM.
Quicksilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Does this scare anyone else? upononer6 Off Topic 15 11-05-2011 07:50 PM
Tell me this isn't the BEST SCARE PRANK EVER! RinasDaddy Off Topic 11 05-03-2008 03:26 PM
If this does not scare you - nothing will. Patrick Off Topic 7 10-19-2006 08:34 PM
another scare tactics flip326 Off Topic 1 12-02-2005 03:11 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-14-2009, 04:22 PM   #2
Metzzen1
Crazy Member

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
srad gix 6

Send a message via AIM to Metzzen1
I've had to many to count

Something along the lines of your story. Was heading home from Motorcycles Unlimited one time and felt something touching the tips of my finger (while they were around the clipon, touchin the clipon from the bottom). I look down and it was my ram air duct. The rubber pieces had come completely out and the dut was barely wedge in enough to keep from blowing off. Emergency lane to pull over and shove it in my back pack. Then got home and took the other one off ahead of time.

Also, had a yosh silencer in my exhaust (didnt come with my exhaust, but it fit after a little modifications). Was doing....a high rate of speed....got off the gas, then right back on and when i did i heard a VAWOOOOMP and my bike suddently got louder.... Silencer no more, somewhere in the HOV lane along 45 south.

Recent one was when I was on the highway doin 80+ and a car in front of me kicked up a huge piece of cardboard. Did everything I could to dodge it but of course it gets stuck to the front of my bike COMPLETELY blocking my view. That was a scary few seconds before i made it to a stop in the emergency lane.

another time I was changin lanes on the highway and while leaned over slightly to change lanes I hit a piece of plywood/masonite that SLID when i hit it. Entire bike went sideways, SO SO SO SO SO close to highside but kept the rear tire speed up HIGH and was able to pull the end around and stay straight without going down. Funny thing is that i heard my tires squeelin the whole time, heard other cars behind me squeelin their tires to stop, but i get home and there was not a single sign of what happen on my tire.... weird

Wont even mention all the close calls due to cell phones, woman drivers, idiot drivers. Thats just a fact of riding and not even worth mentioning anymore.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:40 PM   #3
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

i had been riding for roughly a week or so. i was cruising southbound on the pierce elevated and i was in the far right lane. well for some reason when i was going around the curve (a very, VERY wide curve) at about 60-65 i target fixated on the barrier between oncoming traffic and started drifting towards it. i got on over into the lane next to me before i got sense enough to quit looking at the barrier and straightened up. good thing there wasnt a car in that lane.
Old 02-14-2009, 04:44 PM   #4
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:41 PM   #5
badman
Banned

Feedback Rating: (7)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
09 GSXR 750 ALL BLACK BABY

User is banned

badman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:59 PM   #6
Solo
Killer Bee Racing

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 gsxr 600 (track)
00 sv 650 (street)

had a piece of tire flung at me and hit me. hurt like but kept rollin
Solo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:09 PM   #7
TxBritt08R1
Saved By Grace

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2008 R1 - Sold!
2004 R6 - Sold!
2004 FZ6 - Sold!

Send a message via MSN to TxBritt08R1
In Arizona. Was turning left across a 4 lane highway cutting it short, and crossing the 4-lane's center turning lane. Big patch of gravel, front tire washed out, rear end started to come around, and stood the bike back up. It all happened so fast I didn't really have a chance to react until after the fact.

is Good.

Britt
For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord. Romans 6:23
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ
...I'm glad it's such a boring sport, what would it be like if they watched something a little more interesting, like football? they'd just spontaneously combust on the spot...
TxBritt08R1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
jgooze9
Clap for me *****!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
2002 GSXR 750
1994 Z50
2007 GSXR 1000
1984 Z50
1988 ZB50

my first day getting on the freeway (3rd day riding) I was on 45N heading to work and when I to over the hump that's over Cullen at the bottom of the hump traffic has completely stopped so I start slowing down so I won't hit the back of the van in front of me, I slow down and the car next to the van moves so I make my way to that lane and as soon as I get over I hear some loud tire screeching and I look back (because I don't have mirrors) and I see an Avalanche that skidded to a stop right behind the van I was behind and he stops maybe 2 feet from the van, if I hadn't moved he woulda smashed me and my bike into that van
jgooze9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:35 PM   #9
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

I exited off of 290 in Brenham once ad was doing aout 70 down the ramp - at night. When I got about halfway down the ramp I noticed that the pavement ended and the road dropped about 4" onto dirt/gravel chunk road for construction. I had about a 1/4 second to brace and hit the gravel and fishtailed wildly all the way to the feeder road. Thought I was going down for sure.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:37 PM   #10
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Another time I was headed out 225 toward Baytown about 2:00 i the morning. I noticed that some headlights ahead of me looked strange. Before I could think about it I realized why - they were on my side of the barrier headed right toward me. Before I could take any evasive action the van passed to my left in the adjacent lane - at a closing speed of what would have been about 140 MPH.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 06:50 PM   #11
The_Gunslinger
Kamakasi

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 zx6r
'02 xr250r

was riding my minibike when i was 8 or 9 & hauling around the neighborhood...

sparkplug hopped out the top of the flathead briggs & hit me in the chest. i didn't have a clue what happened. scared the outta me...
Soon I discovered that this rock thing was true, Jerry lee lewis was the devil, Jesus was an architect previous to his career as a prophet; All of a sudden, I found myself in love with the world...So there was only one thing that I could do/
ding a ding dang my dang a long ling long
The_Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 07:06 PM   #12
texlurch
Official MH tag inspector

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
04 ZX-10R
02 ZX-12R BOTM 12/11
00 ZX-12R
07 GSXR 600
00 TL1000R BOTM 07/12 (sold)

Member Garage

Biggest scare short of crashing? LOL!

Headed to Motorcycles Unlimited with my buddy Pigpen... rolling on the BW8 feeder and decide to start using the construcion barrels for a slalom at about 70... was all good until I "just" misjudged the last one and clipped it with the left bar.. thought it was a graze after the mini tank slapper... until I go to slow for the light and have no clutch lever... oooopss Tim was like "hey, something come off your bike HOLY !!!!!!"

Still have no idea how it snapped and didn't break my little fingers... left a little dent in the tank tho...

Well that and the 10 mph marked curve headed N on 336.. that I went into at 50 and then realized it was TURNING and I had better... good pucker factor that one!
.... Home of the "Black Ninja's"

Last edited by texlurch; 02-14-2009 at 07:10 PM.
texlurch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:31 PM   #13
loosenoose
veteran novice

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

i was riding home from work with a friend and a minivan quickly pulled into the road and nearly got us. he thought it did get me, i thought it got him. pretty scary

tonight i almost busted my coming into a parking lot. front tire washed out under me at a low speed, and i put my right foot down and it slipped, but the bike stayed on 2 wheels and somehow righted itself ???
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:35 PM   #14
lightlord
Street ninjas four father

Bike(s):
two fiddie (sold)
79' cb650 (4-sale)
2005 636 titanium

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to lightlord Send a message via Yahoo to lightlord
had a good sized piece of concrete pop up from a dump truck and was just head height on my way to katy.. thought my helmet was gonna get tested no way i could turn out of the way. just tucked down as far as i could to the right and it missed me by maybe inches and hit somewhere behind me.. i quickly got in front of that and stayed there
Soldier 8 years
Firefighter 10 years
Streetninja for life
lightlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:36 PM   #15
loosenoose
veteran novice

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

oh, 1 other if we are talking about kid stuff (see 3 posts above)
i had a go cart and my mom's friend and her kids were over. they wanted to ride the go cart, and they were both crackheads/spazzes i rode with them because i didnt trust them and while going down the driveway, the neighbor's 3 legged dog chased us and the dipshit looked back at the dog and steered us into a barbed wire fence.
i was kinda lucky, nothing major hurt, and then i went cold when i saw i had barbed wire stuck into the bones of my knee. *shudder*
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 10:37 PM   #16
jfly
RIP Coach Dave

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
cbr 600 F3 LOR exhaust

Member Garage

i jad someone swerve into my lane to try and slow be down, almost ran into the curb
Actual Riding Experience 10+ years
Quote:
I'll say this, he did a pretty decent job hanging with 3 liter bikes on 45 on his F3!!
jfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 12:38 AM   #17
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solo View Post
had a piece of tire flung at me and hit me. hurt like but kept rollin
+1
Old 02-15-2009, 01:52 AM   #18
moduleum

I unintentionally slid into an intersection once. I was on the '76 CB750 (drums in the back) and was going a little faster than I should have, hopelessly thinking that the light would turn green. As luck would have it, the light flashed yellow and my eyes flashed white as I didn't think I would be able to slow in time. I tried to hit both brakes evenly, but I hit the back a little too hard and the rear tire took on a life of its own. It probably didn't help that I was in the center of the lane because both tires soon released their grip on the oily, congealed sludge at the end of the runway. I guess I was playing my cards right that day, because as soon as I passed this formidable surface, the tires gripped and I abruptly came to a screeching halt. I was only about 10 or so feet into the intersection and had time peddle backwards before making out with oncoming traffic.

I'm a lot more cautious regarding how I approach intersections now and I'm glad that my pride was the only thing damaged that day.
moduleum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2009, 02:11 AM   #19
cj_sandman
custom user title!!

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600 F4i
'99 FXST

I've got a few.. very different types of incidents:

One time on my way to Austin I was probably about halfway there, somewhere on 71, and out of my peripheral I notice something on my face-shield and realize it's a wasp/bee (or something that I'm pretty sure will sting me).. and that it's INSIDE my faceshield. So I'm like... slowing down.. and trying not to breathe on this thing and it off, and I pull over on the shoulder to a stop.. gently undo my chinstrap, and then rip the helmet off. Didn't get stung.

Ok so I know that last one is kinda wimpy but here's the good one:

Riding up Hwy 183 near the airport where it's not fully developed yet, and I'm behind this van when suddenly I see everyone swerving out of the lanes and directly ahead is this huge crate/box or something, and I can't swerve anywhere because to my left is gravel, and in the opposing lane is some other truck and traffic, so I just sped up and tried to go around it and I clipped it with something and my back tire went up in the air while I was leaned over... but I managed to make it out fine - when I got home I looked at my bike for signs of damage and notice that my brake pedal is bent all the way back - like in a U-shape. I can't imagine having been so lucky. That could've been my foot.. knee.. whatever. Truly felt lucky that day.
Old 02-15-2009, 02:17 AM   #20
bentgixxer

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
I has no bike :(
'14 Polaris 550 touring

Send a message via Yahoo to bentgixxer
my worst scare was when i rode my new ( new to me ) gixxer 750 into a curb being a target fixated squid. i was busy watching the accelerator climb, looked up and there was a car. it was hit the car, or the curb, i chose the curb. hit it doing about 80, highsided off the bike, and tumbled through the grass ( it was a grass median ) off the grass onto the open turning lane, hit the next curb with my right hip, and back onto the grass, where i finally came to rest, the bike landed about 3 feet from me. i remember laying there, face up, doing a " oh dear i think im dead, or severely broken " check. i felt my legs, wiggled my toes, wiggled my fingers. someone came up and asked if i was ok, i said i think so. i slowly got up, looked over at the bike still running ( amazingly ) i shut the bike off and looked around. I had cleared about 100 feet sliding. a couple of my friends turned around ( they were in front of me and watched it happen in the rearview ) and helped me. we loaded the bike into the bed of a truck and took it home. About that time, the pain set in. i went to the bathroom to look at my hip, it was already about the size of a basketball and purple. both my arms were tore up from wrists to elbows ( no gear besides a helmet ( told ya i was squiddin it ) my helmet was destroyed, cracked scratched, everything you can think of. I had my friends drop me off at my folks house, and they took me to the hospital. luckily no broken bones, just a horrible bruise on my hip and some nasty roadrash. I spent 3 weeks out of work because my hip was bruised so deeply. the bike amazingly still ran, and only broke all the plastics. nothing on the motor or frame was hurt, the subframe didnt even bend. dont have the bike anymore though, wish i never got rid of it. it was a good bike.
We'll call it Corpsefish and Horsenuts.
bentgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement