MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Cruisers Lounge
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 04-05-2009, 02:29 AM   #21
Stealth

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
VROD, SV1000, VTX1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonch73 View Post
Motorcycles unlimited dipshit

there's no need for the attitude. cut the new guy a little slack.
Stealth is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Things that suck at work, your work, my work any work urbanXJ Off Topic 115 07-30-2014 06:08 PM
Work is PWNING me, no time for anything. Who else is getting PWNED by work? NewRider Off Topic 52 04-15-2012 12:36 AM
does anyone here work in sales at a Harley dealer? sa916 Cruisers Lounge 3 11-18-2010 11:44 PM
working on bike so i can ride to work got me sick. now i'm missing work, lol loosenoose Off Topic 6 11-27-2008 10:27 AM
good prep work leads to nice paint work... houseofpaint Off Topic 3 02-18-2007 12:06 PM
Advertisement
Old 04-05-2009, 04:00 PM   #22
skittles86

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
05 sportster "883" (sold)
08 dyna low rider

i own two harley's never had a prob, between the two bike i have 50k on them, haven't had to work on them on the side of the road either. i don't know your location but texan harley in conroe has always done me good. i mean we've bought 4 harleys from there and have always been treated like family. plus the reason you buy a harley is so you can sell it later and not lose that much money, but don't get me wrong i still love honda though. i do hear alot of good things bout Motorcycles Unlimited, i'm thinking of taking mine there in the future.
skittles86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 04:06 PM   #23
houstonch73
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2009, 11:16 PM   #24
DEMON
That's "Mr. McLovin" 2 U

Bike(s):
GTR1400
VTX1800 supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittles86 View Post
i own two harley's never had a prob, between the two bike i have 50k on them, haven't had to work on them on the side of the road either. i don't know your location but texan harley in conroe has always done me good. i mean we've bought 4 harleys from there and have always been treated like family. plus the reason you buy a harley is so you can sell it later and not lose that much money, but don't get me wrong i still love honda though. i do hear alot of good things bout Motorcycles Unlimited, i'm thinking of taking mine there in the future.
That's BS, sorry, I currently have a HD Ultra Classic I paid over $24K for it and the bike is now worth around $15K at the most, if I had bought a cruiser I would have paid alot less than that, granted the only bike that even comes close to resemble an ultra is the Kawasaki Voyager, they want around 17K for it. The good old days for HD are long gone, I have heard the stories when and used HD will cost you sometimes more than a brand new one. Not any more, A friend of mine spend $30K for a screaming eagle HD and now her bike is worth around $20K... You don't buy an HD because of its resale value, you buy it because that is the bike you wanted and you have more will power than common sence to spend that kind of money on a bike. I do agree with you that Texan is a good dealership, they did the 1st service on the Ultra and they treated me and my bike right, too bad they don't like working on V-rods I would have taken the Nightrod Special there as well.
Old 04-06-2009, 08:57 PM   #25
josh302

Feedback Rating: (4)

Bike(s):
shotgun
rifle
4wd

I bought my harley crashed and rebuilt it(many parts were missing). I am disappointed with the availability of parts, and the lack of on-line knowledge base. Usually when I run into a problem or unknown, I can google, some-one has been there, done that and wrote about it. Either few people actually work on their own Harley's or there is some type of oppression to keep knowledge top secret.

The lead time on most of the parts I needed was so far out, not to mention the price, so I just made most of the brackets and mounts I needed.

Ten minutes "off-the-wrench" I took the road king on its maiden voyage to San Antonio, then on a hill country ride, no problems at all. As far as the harley being high quality, no doubt, but when you need parts be prepared to pay through the nose.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #26
DEMON
That's "Mr. McLovin" 2 U

Bike(s):
GTR1400
VTX1800 supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh302 View Post
I bought my harley crashed and rebuilt it(many parts were missing). I am disappointed with the availability of parts, and the lack of on-line knowledge base. Usually when I run into a problem or unknown, I can google, some-one has been there, done that and wrote about it. Either few people actually work on their own Harley's or there is some type of oppression to keep knowledge top secret.

The lead time on most of the parts I needed was so far out, not to mention the price, so I just made most of the brackets and mounts I needed.

Ten minutes "off-the-wrench" I took the road king on its maiden voyage to San Antonio, then on a hill country ride, no problems at all. As far as the harley being high quality, no doubt, but when you need parts be prepared to pay through the nose.

The good deals on used parts are usually found on the motorcycle forums, there are also a few places that will sell you parts at a 20% discount if you call the parts dep and give them the part # of what you want.

my 1st cruiser was a Honda and accesories for it were alot more expensive than HD accesories, but also keep in mind that anything regarding a motorcycle is expensive.
Old 04-07-2009, 08:55 AM   #27
houstonch73
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #28
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 AM   #29
DEMON
That's "Mr. McLovin" 2 U

Bike(s):
GTR1400
VTX1800 supercharged

Quote:
Originally Posted by morvegil View Post
Dude, eric should have told you about me. First, the Clymers manuals are known to give bad info on HD's. Buy the HD Service Manual and also the HD Parts manual for your Deuce...thats all you need. Its what I use for my VROD...i then order my parts via ebay or chicago or Zanotti;s HD for 20-30% off cost.

Oh yeah, Metric parts cost the same or more...so i dont know what other people are talking about. 150+ dollars for handlebars?
+1 these books are well worth the money if you like to work on your bikes...

you can also try this http://www.bikebandit.com/ I have not spend alot of time looking for parts here but i was told is a good site.
Old 04-07-2009, 01:09 PM   #30
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
you'll find that the duece has very limited aftermarket support. but the factory manuals will give you all the info you need and more on any oem part. the duece was never very popular, and not many parts shared with other softails, so the aftermarket selection isn't near what it is for other HD's. my step-dad has 2 of them, and most of his mods have been custom out of necessity.

josh302, check out hdforums.com it is by far the most trafficed hd site and is an absolute wealth of information. what harley are you rebuilding? i've never had a problem finding oem parts the same day for most of the bikes i've worked on. and online is even better as far as pricing, and finding the random nick-knack stuff like brackets, bolts, etc. zanotti's and chicago hd as mentioned above have fantastic pricing and very fast shipping, along with excellent customer service. or if you're on the sw side, i recommend republic hd for their parts department. one of their parts managers, frenchie, is a super nice guy and very helpful, he also knows the bikes quite well and can usually point you in the right direction if you get lost/confused as to what you need.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2009, 01:14 PM   #31
paniro187

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonch73 View Post
Motorcycles unlimited dipshit
are you like my long lost brother??

When you add emotion to any equation, you can't trust the results-Unknown
paniro187 is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement