MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2006, 07:14 PM   #1
ryanm8424

Member Garage

ticket... don't need a lawyer

trey said that someone on here might know what to do about this: last sunday night i was riding home and was really lost right around midtown. there was an accident a couple hours old. single car. no traffic. about 12:30. they were just doing investigation stuff and paper work. a patrol car was blocking the left lane. no lights. noone directing traffic. i eased my bike very slowly around the car in the fully unblocked and clear right lane. almost power walking. about 1/8 of a mile down the road another patrol was blocking the whole road. he waved me down. asked me what i thought i was doing going around the patrol car. wrote me a ticket: "failure to obey officer (traffic control)". i was shocked to say the least. he wouldn't even give me directions on how to get back to my house. any ideas on how to clear up this fackin would be much appreciated. probably even worth a few beers when i see ya.
cheers,
ryan
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
lawyer / ticket info la marque chasee69 Off Topic 3 11-24-2012 12:44 PM
traffic ticket lawyer in galveston county Gsxracer General Discussion (Moto Related) 8 05-26-2010 07:37 AM
Don't complain about getting a ticket. kibitzer Off Topic 12 07-18-2009 07:44 AM
Pay The Ticket? What About Your Permanent Record? What About A Lawyer? Racer997 Off Topic 12 06-25-2009 04:00 PM
Looking for ticket lawyer in galveston anthny2040 General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 03-22-2009 11:05 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-20-2006, 07:30 PM   #2
ericcarney
'Cause I'm a rider...

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'98 GSXR 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 650i

Same happened to me exactly, except I got a wrong way in a one way. I was lost over by surfside and tried to pull into a gas station to ask directions. When I made a left to get onto the street with the gas station a police suburban was blocking the right lane. So I put on my blinker and drove the remaining 30 ft. to the gas station in oncoming lanes that were totally empty (it was 3 a.m.). There was some kind of accident in the road in front of the station and the firefighters told me to leave. I tried to leave and a cop flagged me down and gave me a ticket. I was totally , and then he gave me WRONG directions and I got even more lost. I decided to fight it in court without a lawyer, I pleaded not guilty and they ended up putting me on the stand. I explained the situation(lost, nobody directing traffic, nowhere else to go) and the judge dismissed the case. And the cop was really off when I walked out grinning my off. I think the main reason I got off was that there was no one directing traffic, so emphasize that.

http://www.myspace.com/ericcarney
ericcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:34 PM   #3
ryanm8424

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcarney
Same happened to me exactly, except I got a wrong way in a one way. I was lost over by surfside and tried to pull into a gas station to ask directions. When I made a left to get onto the street with the gas station a police suburban was blocking the right lane. So I put on my blinker and drove the remaining 30 ft. to the gas station in oncoming lanes that were totally empty (it was 3 a.m.). There was some kind of accident in the road in front of the station and the firefighters told me to leave. I tried to leave and a cop flagged me down and gave me a ticket. I was totally , and then he gave me WRONG directions and I got even more lost. I decided to fight it in court without a lawyer, I pleaded not guilty and they ended up putting me on the stand. I explained the situation(lost, nobody directing traffic, nowhere else to go) and the judge dismissed the case. And the cop was really off when I walked out grinning my off. I think the main reason I got off was that there was no one directing traffic, so emphasize that.
cheers... i think i'm gonna go to my hearing and a) hope the cop doesn't show (they usually don't) b) play the poor, lost, good citizen, new to town, minding my own business, wrong place/wrong time card (which are all true for once in my life). is that doesn't work, then fack it. i did my best.
Old 01-20-2006, 07:42 PM   #4
ericcarney
'Cause I'm a rider...

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'98 GSXR 750 (sold)
2007 Kawasaki Brute Force 650i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryanm8424
cheers... i think i'm gonna go to my hearing and a) hope the cop doesn't show (they usually don't) b) play the poor, lost, good citizen, new to town, minding my own business, wrong place/wrong time card (which are all true for once in my life). is that doesn't work, then fack it. i did my best.
Just remember to plead not guilty and you will be good, even if the judge finds you guilty, the worst that will happen will be you have to pay the fine. Which is what you would have to do anyway.

ALWAYS PLEAD NOT GUILTY!

http://www.myspace.com/ericcarney
ericcarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2006, 07:43 PM   #5
ryanm8424

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericcarney
Just remember to plead not guilty and you will be good, even if the judge finds you guilty, the worst that will happen will be you have to pay the fine. Which is what you would have to do anyway.

ALWAYS PLEAD NOT GUILTY!
noted
Old 01-20-2006, 09:32 PM   #6
ratmzapa

Member Garage

First off when you goto the court reschedule the hearing. NExt you will be able to lax time as we say and when you go back to court. Please not guilty no matter what anyone tells you. You will be ok cause u can always appeal and believe me with all the problems in Harris County as a whole now they will most likely drop it.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:35 PM   #7
ratmzapa

Member Garage

P.S. dress nice and explain to the judge that you tried flagging down the officer and he just looked at you. Next when the judge asks why u wanted to plead not guilty explain that wanted someone to hear your side of the story and that you are sorry for wasting the courts time but it was due process.
Old 01-20-2006, 09:43 PM   #8
andre3k
I see dead people...

Feedback Rating: (1)

Heres what I would do. On your arraignment date, plead not guilty and request a trial by judge or jury. I suggest jury in this situation. From this point on you have two choices. 1) Represent yourself at trial or 2) Hire an attorney to represent you.

If you present the story to the jury just like you have here and ask to present a diagram of the scene on a chalkboard (they're in the courtroom), I'm sure that they will side with you in this matter. If what you say is true and the officer is not directing traffic or had his strobes on that makes your case much better. The ticket that you recieved only applies if you willfully disobeyed a lawful and direct order from a law enforcement officer. If no one instructed you that the street was off limits and there was nothing around (i.e. strobes, barricades, patrol cars blocking the street) then you have something to work with in court.

A few pointers heres for court testimony. Dress nice, don't wear a suit but no jeans/t-shirts, use yes maam /no sir etc, when speaking address the jury not the judge, and don't get an attitude no matter what happens during the proceedings. Hope this helps.
andre3k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2006, 02:31 AM   #9
Capafool
QuePaso Racing

Experience: 7 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'01 Gixxer 1k (Track)
'10 Duc 848 (Street)
'05 Drz-110 (Tarded)

Send a message via AIM to Capafool Send a message via MSN to Capafool
Take it from someone who used to get tickets often... Don't listen to any above :nono: and get yourself a lawyer... I can't tell you how times they saved my and I can say I have a great record. I've helped some guys on this forum with it (PM Runner for a testimonial of one of the guys I helped with this) and they've all said great things about it. Cheaper to get a lawyer than to pay the ticket AND it doesnt NOT go on your record.

Here's a guy I recommend to anyone..

Rene Gonzales
(713) 229-8229

And stop posting about this ticket stuff!! there's like 4 or 5 threads already about this... just do a SEARCH!!
CMRA Sprints #486
TMGP Endurance #46
"Scientists discover the world that exists; Engineers create the world that never was."
Capafool is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement