Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

View Poll Results: With my own eyes, I have seen a motorcyclist pass.
YES 67 31.16%
NO 148 68.84%
Voters: 215. You may not vote on this poll

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2009, 11:46 AM   #81
Candie

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2013 Ninja 300
07 CBR 600RR (sold)
09 Ninja 250 (sold)
04 CBR 600RR (sold)
04 GSXR 600 (sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
I can agree with that, I think where that thread crossed the line was were it all but blamed directly those who supposedly ran for the accident and for what happened to the victim.

I agree that anytime a death occurs there is questions to be asked, it should be examined and it should be a learning opportunity for others. For most people though, to bring up the question immediately makes you the enemy, regardless of how you phrase it or ask it. There is learning to be done from any accident, death or not. Just my 2 cents.
Well said Ryan. But when emotion gets involved then people lose site of the real question. That is where that thread went wrong.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Rider Near Death Bevo General Discussion (Moto Related) 38 03-20-2012 01:55 PM
Kingwood, honestly? murderedout07 Off Topic 83 04-06-2011 12:50 PM
strange rider death Prodigy General Discussion (Moto Related) 18 12-06-2007 03:48 PM
Rider hand signals nels General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 12-16-2005 04:38 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-13-2009, 11:47 AM   #82
ThomAss
I like to ride

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
07 CBR1000rr
06 CBR1000rr
05 CRF450r
09 Ruckus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
I personally do not see how it is disrepectful to question ones actions after an accident. It is how people learn from situations. I makes the loss of a rider no less tragic if it I proven that the rider was acting a dumda** or not. That persons family and friends still lost a love one.
I agree 100%. If I die in a crash I want others to post what happened so other riders may learn from it.
Old 02-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #83
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candy View Post
What I learned from Eric is.... NO ONE IS IMMUNE to their time and place, it can happen to ANYONE OF US at ANYTIME!!

Whether it was at their hands or not, there still gone and that should be respected 1st and foremost. U wanna have a CONSTRUCTIVE and TASTEFUL discussion AFTER you pay your respects and in another thread, about how those of us in the community can learn from the tragedy, great, but it kills me when these fools start FLAMING the deceased for ANYTHING that they could have done wrong as opposed to just simply being respectful of the fallen, as if they themselves are infallible.
Sorry Candy, but I disagree. Would you be respectful of a murderer? What about Roger? He took another mans life with careless and wreckless riding. Why should I be respectful of him? What if a guy raped and murdered your mom, then rode away on a motorcycle and got hit by a drunk driver? Would you be respectful of a fallen rider then?
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:49 AM   #84
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Once again, for the record, this poll is not a reactive thread to Ed's. Why are yall making it that?
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:51 AM   #85
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candie View Post
Well said Ryan. But when emotion gets involved then people lose site of the real question. That is where that thread went wrong.
I agree. You can't argue with emotional people either.

As far as Ed's timing on the matter, I don't think looking at an incident fairly soon after it happens is a bad thing, it is still fresh on people's mind. But that thread got out of hand.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:52 AM   #86
NorthHoustonGSXR
Yes I do.

Bike(s):
2006 GSX 600R
mystery bike
2000 CBR600F4 track only (SOLD)

I tear up at every RIP thread I read on here, if I know the individual or not. It's the fact that someone has left others behinds, mother, father, children, friends, etc.

I have riden the streets agressively just like everyone else with a sport bike. I now look back at that and think to myself that it was so selfish of me to do that, to push the limit to feel the excitement and rush and know in the back of my mind I could leave my loved ones behind in a heartbeat. Maybe I'm old and think differently but that rush is not worth the risk, not in an uncontrollable environment such as the war zones (or streets as I call them)

I have never witnessed an actual MC accident that resulted in dealth.

RIP MATTY. You taught me that life is a gift.

xdng33m4iv
GOVERNMENT IS THE REAL MIDDLE MAN. COMMON BUSINESS PRACTICE IS TO ELIMINATE THE MIDDLE MAN.
NorthHoustonGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 AM   #87
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
I agree. You can't argue with emotional people either.

As far as Ed's timing on the matter, I don't think looking at an incident fairly soon after it happens is a bad thing, it is still fresh on people's mind. But that thread got out of hand.
Respectfully Ryan, I feel like you take the side of debates, that gives you the best opportunity to debate.

I would also venture to guess that you voted no, which would explain why you can not see the tastelessness of it.

I could be wrong though.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:14 PM   #88
CLETUS
Jungle Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Been reading peoples posts over the last 9 months or so, regarding fallen riders. Some comments, IMO, have been in poor taste....some not.

Quote:
Once again, for the record, this poll is not a reactive thread to Ed's. Why are yall making it that?
Because of all the posts in the last nine months, Ed's was less than 24 hours ago?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:15 PM   #89
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Respectfully Ryan, I feel like you take the side of debates, that gives you the best opportunity to debate.
I am guessing that was a grammatical error sense the above sentence doesn't exactly make sense. And I assume what you meant was that "I take the side of the debate that gives me the best opportunity to debate".

If that is what you meant, then you have no idea how incorrect you are. The majority of the issues I will debate are my personal beliefs. If it is some thread/debate that is really ridiculous and I think is pointless or dumb I will even choose to debate the more difficult side to debate.

Quote:
I would also venture to guess that you voted no, which would explain why you can not see the tastelessness of it.

I could be wrong though.
I would first say if you are concerned with who responded with what answer, you should have made the poll public, otherwise it is counter productive for you to ask people in the thread what they voted for.

But, anyhow, have I seen a biker die in an accident first hand? No. Have I seen people die in front of me? Yes.

I will agree that in a lot of situations, being there and actually seeing it as opposed to hearing/reading about it later can intensify the impact the situation has on a person. But I think regardless of whether someone sees it or not it takes a toll on everyone differently. I would argue that there are people that witness a persons death that are less affected by it then people who do not witness it but are told about it. Each person and situation is different and will affect each person differently.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 PM   #90
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by CLETUS View Post
Because of all the posts in the last nine months, Ed's was less than 24 hours ago?
Huh?
Old 02-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #91
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
I am guessing that was a grammatical error sense the above sentence doesn't exactly make sense. And I assume what you meant was that "I take the side of the debate that gives me the best opportunity to debate".

If that is what you meant, then you have no idea how incorrect you are. The majority of the issues I will debate are my personal beliefs. If it is some thread/debate that is really ridiculous and I think is pointless or dumb I will even choose to debate the more difficult side to debate.

I would first say if you are concerned with who responded with what answer, you should have made the poll public, otherwise it is counter productive for you to ask people in the thread what they voted for.

But, anyhow, have I seen a biker die in an accident first hand? No. Have I seen people die in front of me? Yes.

I will agree that in a lot of situations, being there and actually seeing it as opposed to hearing/reading about it later can intensify the impact the situation has on a person. But I think regardless of whether someone sees it or not it takes a toll on everyone differently. I would argue that there are people that witness a persons death that are less affected by it then people who do not witness it but are told about it. Each person and situation is different and will affect each person differently.

And I was posting from my phone. So maybe I made a grammatical error.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:18 PM   #92
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:

And I was posting from my phone. So maybe I made a grammatical error.
It's all good man, when I first read it I was like wtf....but I got what you meant.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:19 PM   #93
bubby
Candie's Pit Crew!

Bike(s):
'07 600RR, '09 Kawi 250

Quote:
I would argue that there are people that witness a persons death that are less affected by it then people who do not witness it but are told about it. Each person and situation is different and will affect each person differently.
It is not always the fact that you are there but how closely you are tied to the individaul involved. But of course if it is just some random person, being there makes it personal.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #94
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I didn't want a public poll, because I AM NOT addressing any one person.

Life experiences make everyone who they are, inside. When someone acts, what I consider inappropriate, if I know more about thier life experiences, I can better understand why they do what they do and NOT hold it against them.

And hopefully, people in my life, do the same.

It's called tolerance. But sometimes you need to understand thier innerworkings, to "tolerate."

Candy, for example...and this is waaaaaaaay off topic. Being black, and you and I not possibly understanding what that is like and the struggles that maybe her grandparents, parents or even herself have been through, helps me "tolerate" and "semi-understand" her Obama rantings. While I disagree with most of it, I dont feel the need to flame or challange.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:25 PM   #95
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubby View Post
It is not always the fact that you are there but how closely you are tied to the individaul involved. But of course if it is just some random person, being there makes it personal.
I agree, and maybe the poll should have read, "Have you known anyone personally or witnessed a rider pass in a motorcycle accident?"
Old 02-13-2009, 12:27 PM   #96
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Empathy is the 'capacity' to share and understand another's 'state of mind' or emotion. It is often characterized as the ability to "put oneself into another's shoes", or in some way experience the outlook or emotions of another being within oneself.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:34 PM   #97
maxgs

Member Garage

Posts immediately following a tragedy that question the rider or the group's actions that precipitated the event fall under the old adage from my grandmother that "thou shalt not speak ill of the dead." It's more than being in poor taste, I find it disrespectful of the fallen rider. It would be nice to be able to take a few days to cherish their memory.

I don't believe whether a person has witnessed a death has much bearing on a person's willingness to hold their tongue for a while and honor the memory of the rider.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:37 PM   #98
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Posts immediately following a tragedy that question the rider or the group's actions that precipitated the event fall under the old adage from my grandmother that "thou shalt not speak ill of the dead." It's more than being in poor taste, I find it disrespectful of the fallen rider. It would be nice to be able to take a few days to cherish their memory.

I don't believe whether a person has witnessed a death has much bearing on a person's willingness to hold their tongue for a while and honor the memory of the rider.
Then it's just bad manners then. Very bad manners.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #99
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
Then it's just bad manners then. Very bad manners.
There is a lot of that these days.
Old 02-13-2009, 12:40 PM   #100
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post

Questioning the circumstances regarding the situation are not of ill intent or disrespectful to the rider though. Talking disrespectfully or pointing blame on the other hand is.

Advertisement