MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Melandri out paces F1 stars on Speedcar debut

Quote:
Marco Melandri began his career as a four-wheeled racer in impressive style during free pactice for his maiden Speedcar outing, the MotoGP exile ending up fifth on the grid.

Refusing to sit on the sidelines following Kawasaki's withdrawal from MotoGP, Melandri showed no signs of his limited car racing experience by proving competitive throughout the session, held under floodlights at Losail, Qatar.

Benefiting from knowing the layout of the circuit from his time in MotoGP, Melandri nonetheless admits he was lapping quicker than he had expected.

"I had the advantage of knowing the track but the racing lines are different when comparing a Speedcar to a motorbike. The car understeers quite a lot but I had a great time on the track. It's a difficult car to drive but not as hard as I expected. I had estimated to finish around 10th place so to finish in 5th was a great result."

Melandri is driving a Team Lavaggi prepared car alongside Formula 1 race winner Heinz-Harald Frentzen, whom the Italian out-paced. Other notable scalps included multiple sportscar champion Thomas Biagi and 1997 Formula 1 champion Jacques Villeneuve.
First Stoner beats Massa on the carts and now Marco is kicking .
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
F1 @ COTA tunaluna Off Topic 8 11-16-2013 07:02 PM
f1 light red600 General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 05-16-2012 07:31 PM
F1 racing Faylaricia Off Topic 15 05-30-2007 10:57 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #2
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Well, a man has to eat.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #3
BlackWidow
The Doctor

Feedback Rating: (8)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
A Ducati
A KaToom
Several Yamahas...
Some Kawis
No HONDAS! ;)

Send a message via AIM to BlackWidow
I think this will be a great career change for Melandri.. he's had some really really .. and i mean really bad luck in the past 2-3 years racing in MotoGP. He's wrecked a heck lot and has been "demoted" from manufactures every year!

Heck I remember how he even managed to wreck the "SpiderMan" bike which was suppose to be a promotion for the movie and was set to be auctioned off after the race!

That's one way to off your sponsors!

It is necessary to relax your muscles when you can. Relaxing your brain is fatal...
BlackWidow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Predator04
Proud Former Marine!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07R1 street bike
07R1 Racebike
08GSXR-750 streetbike.... Totalled

Wouldve thought he woulda got a job in world superbike or something times must be tough for him.
Old 02-15-2009, 08:43 AM   #5
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackWidow View Post
I think this will be a great career change for Melandri.. he's had some really really .. and i mean really bad luck in the past 2-3 years racing in MotoGP. He's wrecked a heck lot and has been "demoted" from manufactures every year!

Heck I remember how he even managed to wreck the "SpiderMan" bike which was suppose to be a promotion for the movie and was set to be auctioned off after the race!

That's one way to off your sponsors!
looks like it's set to continue

Quote:
Melandri almost wins on Speedcar debut
MotoGP exile Marco Melandri came within four laps of a shock Speedcar Series victory under the lights at Losail in Qatar on Saturday night, but a mechanical failure took him out, handing the victory to F1 star Vitantonio Liuzzi.

Melandri, who started only his second-ever car race from pole position, rocketed away at the start and built up a 7.5 second lead by lap nine, which was when Liuzzi passed Thomas Biagi for second place.

Liuzzi got the hammer down, and ate into Melandri's lead initially, but the Italian bike racing star had stabilised the gap, and was on course for a major shock victory, until his car suddenly slowed on lap 15.

"I was concentrating on not making any mistakes, but my gear changes were becoming more difficult, which didn't make it easy," said Melandri. "Then, all of a sudden, there were no more gears and I was out."

That gifted the lead to Liuzzi, who had been guiding Melandri on his learning curve all weekend, and he stroked home ahead of yesterday's winner Gianni Morbidelli.

"It was very lucky for me that Marco went out, and unlucky for him," said Liuzzi. "I had a lot more understeer than in the first race, and Marco was driving really well."

For the record, Melandri finished eighth in race one on Friday, having qualified in fourth place.
this guy is too good to be without a ride
Old 02-18-2009, 03:11 PM   #6
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
looks like it's set to continue

this guy is too good to be without a ride

He got(s) a ride.............................................. ....for free

Mundo Deportivo are reporting that an agreement has been reached between Dorna and Kawasaki.

The private, one bike team will be organised by Ichiro Yoda ex-Kawasaki project director and will have Bartholomey as team manager.
Kawasaki will service the engine(s), provide spares and carry out "minimum development" in return for not being taken to court for breach of contract with Dorna. Melandri will ride for free as was expected.

They are currently trying to get a full team for testing in Qatar and they have offered Juan Martinez the post of Marco's chief technician, he is apparently studying the offer.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 03:43 PM   #7
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
He got(s) a ride.............................................. ....for free

Mundo Deportivo are reporting that an agreement has been reached between Dorna and Kawasaki.

The private, one bike team will be organised by Ichiro Yoda ex-Kawasaki project director and will have Bartholomey as team manager.
Kawasaki will service the engine(s), provide spares and carry out "minimum development" in return for not being taken to court for breach of contract with Dorna. Melandri will ride for free as was expected.

They are currently trying to get a full team for testing in Qatar and they have offered Juan Martinez the post of Marco's chief technician, he is apparently studying the offer.
I can't find anything on this
I hope it's accurate apart from the riding for free bit
Old 02-18-2009, 06:44 PM   #8
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

MotoGP News I believe. Although their website is down.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2009, 08:07 PM   #9
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
MotoGP News I believe. Although their website is down.
I just checked it but I couldn't find anything.
Tried Mundo Deportivo as well, plenty there but I can't understand a word

Advertisement