MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 06:48 PM   #41
cobra281

Feedback Rating: (0)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
so no matter what age you are, if you want to ride without a helmet, you have to take MSF and get a sticker right?
Yes, and you have to carry health insurance as well.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
who was pointed the wrong way on the Gulf freeway HOV (with pics) urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 22 12-14-2012 07:59 AM
the Gulf freeway and HOV were sure ***** up today urbanXJ Off Topic 24 05-10-2012 03:14 PM
HOV riders, stay in the HOV "lane" on the Gulf freeway says motocop urbanXJ General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 03-22-2012 10:06 AM
new booths constructed for HOV lane on gulf freeway urbanXJ Off Topic 12 12-07-2011 10:34 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2009, 06:53 PM   #42
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:57 PM   #43
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

ya then i am willing to bit a good chunk are doing it illegally for sure!
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:00 PM   #44
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...

Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
Yeah when I went to get my M endorsement I signed on the line for not wearing a helmet. I wear my lid at all times on the bike. I just wanted to stick it to the man and not conform! LOLZ

mybanner4a260100b5617
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:01 PM   #45
Wormgear

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyrofallout View Post
what is the law exactly? is it anyone under a certain age cannot ride helmet-less w/o the sticker or is it everyone?
The wisdom of Google.
http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/msb/helmet.htm
Effective September 1, 1997, persons at least 21 years old are exempt from wearing a motorcycle helmet if they:
• have successfully completed a motorcycle safety course, or
• are covered by a health insurance plan providing the person with at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries incurred as a result of an accident while operating or riding upon a motorcycle.

And as I said before, the sticker is NOT required, but MAY keep you from getting pulled over and checked.

Frequently Asked Questions.

1. Do passengers have to meet the same age/insurance/training requirements as the operator?
It is presumed that operators and passengers on a motorcycle displaying a helmet exempt sticker on the license plate or plate holder meet the age/insurance/training requirements.

No helmet exempt sticker on the motorcycle? If the motorcycle owner has the state-required minimum insurance, passengers, providing they are at least 21 years of age, can ride on a motorcycle without a helmet.

2. Is the helmet exemption sticker required before a motorcyclist can ride without a helmet?
No. The sticker indicates that the motorcyclist meets the requirement for riding without a helmet, and law enforcement officers will presume that they do. Without the sticker motorcyclists may be requested to show police officers their proof of course completion or insurance coverage.

Last edited by Wormgear; 02-12-2009 at 08:04 PM. Reason: added info
Wormgear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #46
Japawhat02
02 Tona

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
2002 Daytona

Just wear you lids.......
Old 02-12-2009, 10:11 PM   #47
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wormgear View Post
Well it’s an assumption, but I don’t think it’s huge. Of those I see lidless, most are clearly over 21. The assumption then is that they have health insurance or took the MSF course. Again most of the lidless riders I see are on 20k+ bikes (Harleys and Wangs) and I assume that a lot of them have health insurance.
... or MSF too, right?

Sure! If they're man enough (in their own minds) to ride a 250 Rebel for the MSF course.

(btw, I'm just messin' with ya. I do acknowledge the OR in the clause).

Last edited by FlipSideUp; 02-12-2009 at 10:14 PM.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:46 PM   #48
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Ok, a couple of notes:

The exact helmet/exemption law is covered in an above post, so I'm not gonna copy it.

The reason they are doing this (probably)..............

I serve on the board of the Texas Motorcycle Safety Coalition. Just got back from the annual meeting today.

One of the goals of the coalition is very simply to make suggestions to different organizations that we believe can help affect motorcycle safety and help reduce accidents in Texas.

One of the MANY suggestions that we've made was for law enforcement to do exactly what it sounds like they were doing.........check helmetless riders for the correct exemptions.

Very simply, motorcycle deaths are on the rise in Texas and ONE of the many reasons is not wearing a helmet.

Studies have shown that a high percentage of people not wearing a helmet do not have the proper exemptions. Most people believe that Texas does not have a helmet law at all.

Again, this is ONE of SEVERAL recommendations that we've made.

Another is to check for a motorcycle license and impound the bike if they don't have one. You may think that's harsh, but very simply, without the proper license, you do not have a legal right to operate that vehicle.

Last year, over 30% of the motorcycle deaths in Texas did not have a valid license.

I'm going to say this once again, these are a COUPLE of SEVERAL recommendations that have been made to hopefully make motorcycling safer in Texas.

There are several others that have been made, including arresting anyone operating a vehicle that does not have the correct liability insurance as required by Texas law.

If you don't like these suggestions, then I suggest you get involved with motorcycle safety in this state. The coalition (including serving on the board) is open to ANYONE that wants to be involved.
Old 02-12-2009, 11:38 PM   #49
houstonch73
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:42 PM   #50
Challen
MSF Lead Instructor

Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
2000 ZX12R
2008 250R
2012 ZX10R

Quote:
Originally Posted by houstonch73 View Post
Challen - so in summary, the sticker is NOT required at all. If you have completed the MSF course and carry the certificate then you're good. right?

that's how it was explained to us in my MSF course (at another school)
Correct. It is NOT required, it just keeps you from getting pulled over (for that reason at least).

If you carry the certificate, you SHOULD be ok (unless you get pulled over by a cop that didn't get laid last night). Then you may just have to go see a judge.

My personal opinion (after wear your friggin helmet of course ) is that if you aren't going to wear a lid, just go ahead and pay the five bucks to get the sticker. It saves a lot of hassle.

Keep in mind that if you don't have the sticker and they pull you over, at that moment it has become a legal traffic stop. They're probably going to check insurance and license also at that point.

Last edited by Challen; 02-12-2009 at 11:45 PM.
Challen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 11:54 PM   #51
houstonch73
Banned

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2009, 12:58 AM   #52
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

and realize even if you are wearing a lid, a LEO can stop you to see that the lid is DOT approved. and from there eyeball your bike.

and that "the sticker" is 1/2"? in dia. and LEO's aren't going to be able to see that sticker unless the bike is stopped and prolly within 5ft, and after they stop you they can look over your bike and if anything is illegal on your bike, which most bikes will have something minor, but enough for the officer to further investigate.
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement