MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2009, 01:08 AM   #81
hughes40
Staatsfeind Nr. 1

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R6
2003 Sv650
2003 CBR 600rr
2003 Katana -pos
Mongoose Circa 87

Send a message via MSN to hughes40 Send a message via Yahoo to hughes40 Send a message via Skype™ to hughes40
idiots . . in cages . . "get the fk off your gdm cell phone."

pay attention to the road!

fking scum! life in prison for this asshat that ran over rod.

laws re: cell phone use while driving should be enforced in this city.
the DPS has lowered the standards for giving dl's to every idiot with a car.
RIP customminds General Discussion (Moto Related) 26 07-23-2012 07:29 PM
RIP Mkgsxr RIP Morvegil Renzo Off Topic 60 02-16-2012 11:12 PM
RIP Rachy Rach General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 05-14-2011 05:36 AM
RODERICK's Funeral Arraingments batman007 General Discussion (Moto Related) 63 02-18-2009 10:59 AM
Astar RIP Ride for Roderick!! Feb. 15. black240 Events, Meets and Rides 38 02-12-2009 05:48 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-12-2009, 01:14 AM   #82
BossLady
CMRA #113

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'09 ZX6R

Member Garage

The police do have the plate. I handed it to them. After I gave my statement the officer showed me a picture of the guy driving the car. 16 year old kid. They had already been to his house and talked to his parents. The kid had not contacted his parents since the accident.

I'm so sorry Rod. I wish I could have done more

RIP
Old 02-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #83
tonyt915
"Fuckchix"

Feedback Rating: (19)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
08 Duc Duc Goose Superbike"sold"
08 CBR 6RR " sold"
84 Yamaha Big Wheel 200
76 HD FXE "sold
09 WR450F "sold"

Member Garage

Bull****in , it was a kid that means the law cant do much since he is underage. Please someone tell me im dead wrong and they will hang his azz in court and he will be punished to the full extent of the law
Old 02-12-2009, 01:17 AM   #84
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossLady View Post
The police do have the plate. I handed it to them. After I gave my statement the officer showed me a picture of the guy driving the car. 16 year old kid. They had already been to his house and talked to his parents. The kid had not contacted his parents since the accident.

RIP
Good to hear, but shameful, too. He'll never be the same, and since he's a minor, the law probably won't do much in the way of punishment.

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:21 AM   #85
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by BossLady View Post

RIP
Probably fcking with the radio or cell phone........It's a fcking shame. I agree with Huges40 that tougher laws need to be implemented for being on Cell Phones while Driving.
Old 02-12-2009, 01:25 AM   #86
loosenoose
veteran novice

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

maybe we can hope he has a birthday and the judge tries him as an adult
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:28 AM   #87
Article91
Tattoo - Piercing

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThomasNinja650 View Post
Probably fcking with the radio or cell phone........It's a fcking shame. I agree with Huges40 that tougher laws need to be implemented for being on Cell Phones while Driving.
my mother said when he stood on the pegs that the car that hit him did not seem to even know he was there, it is her opinion he simply was not paying attention.

Last edited by Article91; 02-12-2009 at 01:33 AM.
Article91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:38 AM   #88
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article91 View Post
my mother said when he stood on the pegs that the car that climbed over him did not seem to even know he was there, it is her opinion he simply was not paying attention.
You know, when he stood up on the pegs to look ahead, he very likely slowed down significantly, and without the brake lights going on. Still no excuse for the driver who hit him, but I can see this playing out. The combination of speeding bikers, leading to an LEO on the chase, leading to a major distraction on the highway, by a highway interchange, a biker slowing down with all attention focused on the distraction, an inattentive driver, whether he be on a cell phone, messing with the radio, or equally distracted by the ongoing scenario... leading to a tragedy.

The driver driving off is inexcusable, nonetheless.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:43 AM   #89
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Btw, I do know from experience that this will (typically) happen when you get up on the pegs to scan ahead. I remember taking note one time when I did the same, then looked down at my speedo and realized I slowed down significantly within only a few seconds. Unless you are conscious of the fact that you need to maintain throttle, your bike will slow down. Keep that in mind always whenever you do the same.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:47 AM   #90
Article91
Tattoo - Piercing

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
You know, when he stood up on the pegs to look ahead, he very likely slowed down significantly, and without the brake lights going on. Still no excuse for the driver who hit him, but I can see this playing out. The combination of speeding bikers, leading to an LEO on the chase, leading to a major distraction on the highway, by a highway interchange, a biker slowing down with all attention focused on the distraction, an inattentive driver, whether he be on a cell phone, messing with the radio, or equally distracted by the ongoing scenario... leading to a tragedy.

The driver driving off is inexcusable, nonetheless.
I think you have it nailed, that is exactly what I believe as well… An inexperienced 16 year old driver in awe of seeing all this action going down. Probably watching the 4th bike thinking he was getting pulled over (looking to the left) while at the same time the 5th rider slowing down. This is still unexcusable and should be considered vehicular homicide (manslaughter). He will at least loose his right to drive right??
Article91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:48 AM   #91
bentgixxer

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
I has no bike :(
'14 Polaris 550 touring

Send a message via Yahoo to bentgixxer
one can only hope that with the kid driving off, the law ( courts ) will find that extremely negligent to the point of being criminal and charge him as an adult.

R.I.P.
We'll call it Corpsefish and Horsenuts.
bentgixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:58 AM   #92
Cody_Rules
this.

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
650r nekkid

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Cody_Rules
R.I.P.
Old 02-12-2009, 02:12 AM   #93
Spidermonkey
TTD's home grown

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650 trackbike/08 zx6 sold(i loved it)/ 08 R6 (head shakes!)

trackdays: 98

RIP bro. you will be missed.
thank police got the plate...
Old 02-12-2009, 03:23 AM   #94
Ogre
Ancient one

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Blackbird

Sincere condolences to family and friends.

Also to the family of the youth who ran him down. Can't imagine learning that your child did something like that and just left the person.

"The only thing in life that can't be taken away from you is your integrity. You have to give it away"
Ogre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 03:26 AM   #95
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

Kids get scared. Especially when they run over someone. Think for a second how your 16 year old would react, and how you'd hope he'd react, and how he might actually react. Our fight or flight instinct is at our very core, and when fear and adrenaline take over it's hard to control ourselves, especially at 16. The kid sure has a lot to deal with. And say what you may about his need for being punished, it's reasonable to assume his intent was not to harm or his actions after the accident to leave a dying man without aid. I hope I am right. Rod's family and this kid's family will be dealing with this tragedy forever, it's just not good all around. So sad for both families and friends.

The driving age in most countries parellels the right to vote, right to consent, right to drink, right to be an adult in most way, under the law and in the eyes of the community. We've created a skewed system where "kids" can drive but aren't considered adult enough to understand the consequences of their actions, decide what rules to live by, drink a glass of wine, sign a legal contract, or be held accountable for their behavior in a court of law. I've always favored the european model. Cars at 18, 30 mph mopeds at 16. Drinking at 18. Voting at 18. Harsh fines for breaking laws, not BS community service or slaps on the wrists. DUI a mandatory license suspension.
Old 02-12-2009, 03:29 AM   #96
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
Kids get scared. Especially when they run over someone. Think for a second how your 16 year old would react, and how you'd hope he'd react, and how he might actually react. Our fight or flight instinct is at our very core, and when fear and adrenaline take over it's hard to control ourselves, especially at 16. The kid sure has a lot to deal with. And say what you may about his need for being punished, it's reasonable to assume his intent was not to harm or his actions after the accident to leave a dying man without aid. I hope I am right. Rod's family and this kid's family will be dealing with this tragedy forever, it's just not good all around. So sad for both families and friends.

The driving age in most countries parellels the right to vote, right to consent, right to drink, right to be an adult in most way, under the law and in the eyes of the community. We've created a skewed system where "kids" can drive but aren't considered adult enough to understand the consequences of their actions, decide what rules to live by, drink a glass of wine, sign a legal contract, or be held accountable for their behavior in a court of law. I've always favored the european model. Cars at 18, 30 mph mopeds at 16. Drinking at 18. Voting at 18. Harsh fines for breaking laws, not BS community service or slaps on the wrists. DUI a mandatory license suspension.
+1 From what I heard the kid turned him self in.
ParAvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:20 AM   #97
rockyracoon

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
2008 ninja 250

RIP
rockyracoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 04:28 AM   #98
PowerSurgeD
is on indefinite hiatus

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2005 crf 50,
2008 drz400sm
2001 cbrf4i

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post

+212313123

never met him, but rip fellow rider
Old 02-12-2009, 04:54 AM   #99
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
RIP Rod. and condolences to everyone involved. a terrible accident for sure.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 06:03 AM   #100
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic