MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 11:00 AM   #21
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicious View Post
Not sure who Dave Wonders is. I'm not , just putting my input in on this thread. Rather than and complain and make a big deal about it that day, I took it more as a 'live, learn, and move on' scenario where I knew that I wouldn't spend what was -in my opinion- a waste of money on the school again.
Dave Wonders owns Ridesmart, who IMO, genuinely cares about your experience at one of his events. He is the older gentelman that runs around on that XR 80 everywhere. You should email him your experience, ridesmart@mac.com. I am confident, he would make things right.
But anyway, not trying to debate, but if owners of businesses are not aware of what is happening throughout the ranks, and get no direct feedback, how are they to know where they are falling short? They can only assume things are fine.

Anyway, I am definately not trying to argue.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
larry meyers class still available? lbjasonc Taking it to the Track 56 08-26-2009 12:25 PM
L. Meyers @ MSR-H Video with GSX-R OverLay maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 03-16-2009 12:18 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2009, 12:04 PM   #22
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

i thought that cost covered the track fees.......
i thought i remembered asking him,you can also split in two riders at $350 i think..
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:21 PM   #23
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Im pretty sure it was track fee included.
Old 02-10-2009, 12:44 PM   #24
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

Quote:
It's not priceless, especially when you aren't receiving any different advice than the people at other trackdays give you for NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE. If he was actually giving out top-racer-level advice it would be a different story.
My post was independant of your exsperiance. My exsperiance with Ty was very positive..
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:50 PM   #25
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post
Yikes, so the 500 does not also cover the use of facility???? Whoa
Nope. But the class is limited to 4.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:31 PM   #26
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

My first TD ever was with LMS in March 2007. Larry Meyers was there giving instruction. Although it was not one on one, I think the most eye opening statement he made that day was that...

"you don't use the handle bars to steer a bike, they are just there to hold the controls, you corner a bike by shifting your body with your feet and legs"

ya, it was pretty hard to grasp as a total noob, but after a couple trackdays and lots n lots of sore leg muscles, i see his point.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:13 PM   #27
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
I took the L3 class with Ty at MSR-C in October. I had mixed feelings about the whole thing, for a few different reasons.

First and foremost, just like near every time I touch the track, I wrecked late in the afternoon.

Now, let me say that I wasn't pushing beyond my limits, riding too hard, blah blah blah. I went wide in a turn and leaned the bike over too far and tucked the front. That's beside the point.

For Ty's class that day, there was a pretty good amount of students. Ty wasn't actually riding that day, one of his friends on a white 636 was following students filming, and then they would come in and Ty would go over the footage. I saw the guy race at TWS (Texas World Speedway) the last CMRA race (can't remember what his name is), and he was pretty fast. I want to say he was right up Larry's when he wrecked that afternoon, but I'm not 100% on that so don't quote me on it. Anyways, he would follow the class around and then come in with the video and Ty would go over it. He gave moderately vague critiques on the riders - i.e. "Yeah, that looks good there...you're doing pretty good there...try to get your off the seat a little more", but nothing too crazy. Granted, all advice from Ty is good advice, and I took in everything as much as I could...

BUT the one big thing that irked me was that 2 sessions past lunch, I had still yet to see any footage of myself - so for the better part of the day, I was riding the same way/style/fashion/whatever that I had been riding when I arrived at the track. Never got any critique on my riding, never got to see any video of myself, nothing.

Now, I DID wreck that afternoon, so it's quite possible that in the 2 or 3 sessions left that day that I would have finally gotten to have Ty tell me that I looked good coming through that turn, and that I needed to get my off of the seat more...but I can't say for sure that I would or wouldn't have gotten the advice I expected because I wrecked and didn't ride the last few sessions of the day. However I can say that if Ty DID get video footage of me, I would not have had adequate time to adjust my style per his critiquing because I would have only had a short time left on the track left.

I went and talked to Ty the session after I wrecked, explained to him what happened, and asked if he knew if he had gotten any footage of me prior to my eating . He said he wasn't sure but he would check. I came and sat in for a bit with the group to view the footage, but still didn't see any of myself.

Let me say that Ty is a VERY talented rider, and is MUCH faster than what I'll ever be. He was NOT at all cocky or big-headed, and I'm sure that he's one of the most talented riders on a CMRA track (emphasis on CMRA). However, in my opinion the 'rider's school' is a little too general and not quite personal enough. Some of you may say 'Well this is because it's geared at a group so that the whole group can learn', however the whole reason I paid more was so that I could get instruction. Each person in the group is SUPPOSED to have themselves critiqued and have advice given per their riding style - that is what I thought a rider's school was from their description. In the end I felt like I pretty much paid to ride around the track in the back of a pickup and hear Ty talk about the track and get a sleeveless T-shirt, and then ride a normal track day. From what I expected about the 'riders school' it was an advanced-level course, and in order to enroll in the school you needed to already have a good bit of experience and preferably some racing under your belt - however the instruction that I saw wasn't really a whole lot more than you'd get from going to a regular track day and having instructors tell you how to properly ride a track day.

On that day, Martin went around the track with me for a bit, and gave me a very great deal of instruction, same as he did last time I was at Cresson. I got more from Martin (Big Comfy) than I did from Ty.

Perhaps it's different on different days, maybe some days Ty actually teaches a racer's school. However, the particular day that I experienced it I did not receive what I thought would be befitting of something titled a 'School for Racers' - I simply received track day advice and got to see footage of other riders.

In my opinion, rather than take the 'Ty Howard Racing School', sign up with an LSTD track day or a Texas Track Day. While I have some minor dislikes about TTD's setup, it is still (in my opinion) FAR superior, as is LSTD, to the Ty Howard Racing School. I've done track days with all 3 organizations, and the instructors at LSTD and TTD are FAR more helpful and more teacher-like than what I experienced with Ride Smart/THRS.

just my .02
Will...

Dave Wonders just contacted me regarding this issue. Ridesmart, in an effort to "make right" your negative experience, would like to offer you the Ty Howard class, again, at no charge. Simply register online for an event, in the level 4 group, then send an email to ridesmart@mac.com and let them know you would like to use your credit for that event. You can also follow your email up with a phone call to Dave at 512-469-9491, just to confirm receipt.
Look forward to seeing you at the track.
Old 02-11-2009, 05:20 PM   #28
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I wonder who told him?
Old 02-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #29
civicious

Bike(s):
TZR250

Just sent Dave an email. I guess I'll have to give it another shot, what can it hurt :p
10541 FM 1960 W #300 - (281) 477-3038
http://www.idbracing.com
civicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 05:58 PM   #30
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
I wonder who told him?
a lil birdie.
Old 02-11-2009, 06:27 PM   #31
S.D.W.
...Ready

Bike(s):
2011 ZX10 Racebike
2010 Crf450r
2009 zx6 race bike
2009 ttr110

guys on this forum are top shelf. Lookin out for a brother right there B.
Old 02-11-2009, 07:25 PM   #32
rc51eviltwin

thats for sure.
Dave,and the rest of TD organisers for that matter,really go the extra mile to make this hobby of ours smooth as possible.i have yet to have a negative experience that does not get resolved well.
see you out there......
Old 02-12-2009, 12:23 AM   #33
Greasespot

If you want to learn how to be a better racer take a private lesson. If you want to learn the track and get some tips take the raceschool. Both are worth it.
CMRA CAVEMAN RACING TEAM #88
CMRA #988
TMGP Dawg Pound#8 2009 F6 Endurance 1st place!
Future greasespot fo sho!
Greasespot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 12:31 AM   #34
Ridesmart

Bike(s):
07 Kawasaki ZX-6R Track
05 CBR 600RR Track

..and guess who is racing Daytona this year? Mr. Ty, with RideSmart sponsorship...
Ridesmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:41 AM   #35
nemesis

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
Will...

Dave Wonders just contacted me regarding this issue. Ridesmart, in an effort to "make right" your negative experience, would like to offer you the Ty Howard class, again, at no charge. Simply register online for an event, in the level 4 group, then send an email to ridesmart@mac.com and let them know you would like to use your credit for that event. You can also follow your email up with a phone call to Dave at 512-469-9491, just to confirm receipt.
Look forward to seeing you at the track.
I was there that day and another guy crashed out on the first session. I told him to go talk to Dave and he got credit for the class too. I've also seen him give credit to someone that totaled their bike out early on. He charged me for only half a day once. Dave is more than willing to work with people if they bring something to his attention.

Ty helped me a great deal with braking and operating the controls through the corners. He's able to articulate very well and give examples of situations you may get into and how to get out and what makes riders crash. Teaches you how to figure out a track. You gotta ask questions. In the video he points out where you should be on the track and why. And for $20 you can get a copy that has two hours of footage on it.

And the camera guy was Henry, he was good.
nemesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:51 AM   #36
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by nemesis View Post
I was there that day and another guy crashed out on the first session. I told him to go talk to Dave and he got credit for the class too. I've also seen him give credit to someone that totaled their bike out early on. He charged me for only half a day once. Dave is more than willing to work with people if they bring something to his attention.

Ty helped me a great deal with braking and operating the controls through the corners. He's able to articulate very well and give examples of situations you may get into and how to get out and what makes riders crash. Teaches you how to figure out a track. You gotta ask questions. In the video he points out where you should be on the track and why. And for $20 you can get a copy that has two hours of footage on it.

And the camera guy was Henry, he was good.
Henry is the camera guy for lstd
Old 02-12-2009, 09:24 AM   #37
rc51eviltwin

me and a friend were also there in class that perticular day,my friend crashed out the first session(phacked up the $100 for everyone LOL),anyways he still finished the day on my loaner bike.Henry Wyles was filming that day. (page 2 http://cmraracing.com/pdf/2008/Newsl..._08_dialup.pdf ).
Old 02-12-2009, 10:04 AM   #38
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Henry is the camera guy for lstd
Wrong Henry

Henry Wiles is a AMA flattrack champion and a motoST endurance rider for the 2008 Aprillia USA team. Hella fast guy
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 10:52 AM   #39
SBK Pilot
non playa hatar

Bike(s):
:: 05 GSXR 750 ::

:: 07 GSXR 1K ::
:: 11 ZUMA 125 ::
stop listing what u sold here - nobody cares...

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawi jm View Post
Henry Wiles is a AMA flattrack champion and a motoST endurance rider for the 2008 Aprillia USA team. Hella fast guy
lest we not forget his mad blocking skillz too...
Old 02-12-2009, 11:04 AM   #40
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBK Pilot View Post
lest we not forget his mad blocking skillz too...
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote