MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 09:14 PM   #1
Brian f.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Who has had instruction w/ T. Howard or L. Meyers

Be it in the Level 3 class with Ridesmart or one on one? What would you say was the most valued piece of instruction or pointers that YOU recieved from that level of racer that really opened your eyes or helped you break a "plateau."

I would think maybe something alittle different for each person?
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
larry meyers class still available? lbjasonc Taking it to the Track 56 08-26-2009 12:25 PM
L. Meyers @ MSR-H Video with GSX-R OverLay maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 7 03-16-2009 12:18 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #2
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Ty Howard race school. Thing that helped me the most...trail braking.
cdill35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:18 PM   #3
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

I took it at MSRC and will take it again at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Need some turn 1 nuts! Lol
Old 02-09-2009, 09:34 PM   #4
Brian f.

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post
I took it at MSRC and will take it again at TWS (Texas World Speedway). Need some turn 1 nuts! Lol
Man you and me both. Ive also thought of signing up for his class out at TWS (Texas World Speedway) also for sure.
Old 02-09-2009, 10:00 PM   #5
rc51eviltwin

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post
Man you and me both. Ive also thought of signing up for his class out at TWS (Texas World Speedway) also for sure.
i've said it a meeellion times and i'll say it again.
its worth every dime.
trail braking along with a faster line into the rattle snake and the back section at MSR-C...
will prolly do a couple of private lessons this season.
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:11 PM   #6
Elistan

Bike(s):
07 CBR600RR

Larry did my L3 class at MSR-H, and Ty at another L3 class at TWS (Texas World Speedway). I dunno, but I felt I got more out of Larry's class - he seemed more interested in helping out a slow-poke like myself. Then again, there were only five students with Larry, and over a dozen with Ty, so it was much easier to get individual attention from Larry that time.

I plan on doing a few more L2 classes before another L3.
Elistan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:22 PM   #7
gsxrjai
Sink or swim

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
'03 GSXR 600 Sold
??? Not Sure ???

I've been wanting to take an entry level lessons/class to better/improve my skills...

I only have around a year of riding skills. I've taken a MSF class but that's about it.
Any input on what steps to take... Any classes better then the other or whatever?

I have a few fears in turns going in to fast.Dragging/ Scraping knee and not being prepared (freaking me out). Running out of road, etc
gsxrjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
civicious

Bike(s):
TZR250

I took the L3 class with Ty at MSR-C in October. I had mixed feelings about the whole thing, for a few different reasons.

First and foremost, just like near every time I touch the track, I wrecked late in the afternoon.

Now, let me say that I wasn't pushing beyond my limits, riding too hard, blah blah blah. I went wide in a turn and leaned the bike over too far and tucked the front. That's beside the point.

For Ty's class that day, there was a pretty good amount of students. Ty wasn't actually riding that day, one of his friends on a white 636 was following students filming, and then they would come in and Ty would go over the footage. I saw the guy race at TWS (Texas World Speedway) the last CMRA race (can't remember what his name is), and he was pretty fast. I want to say he was right up Larry's when he wrecked that afternoon, but I'm not 100% on that so don't quote me on it. Anyways, he would follow the class around and then come in with the video and Ty would go over it. He gave moderately vague critiques on the riders - i.e. "Yeah, that looks good there...you're doing pretty good there...try to get your off the seat a little more", but nothing too crazy. Granted, all advice from Ty is good advice, and I took in everything as much as I could...

BUT the one big thing that irked me was that 2 sessions past lunch, I had still yet to see any footage of myself - so for the better part of the day, I was riding the same way/style/fashion/whatever that I had been riding when I arrived at the track. Never got any critique on my riding, never got to see any video of myself, nothing.

Now, I DID wreck that afternoon, so it's quite possible that in the 2 or 3 sessions left that day that I would have finally gotten to have Ty tell me that I looked good coming through that turn, and that I needed to get my off of the seat more...but I can't say for sure that I would or wouldn't have gotten the advice I expected because I wrecked and didn't ride the last few sessions of the day. However I can say that if Ty DID get video footage of me, I would not have had adequate time to adjust my style per his critiquing because I would have only had a short time left on the track left.

I went and talked to Ty the session after I wrecked, explained to him what happened, and asked if he knew if he had gotten any footage of me prior to my eating . He said he wasn't sure but he would check. I came and sat in for a bit with the group to view the footage, but still didn't see any of myself.

Let me say that Ty is a VERY talented rider, and is MUCH faster than what I'll ever be. He was NOT at all cocky or big-headed, and I'm sure that he's one of the most talented riders on a CMRA track (emphasis on CMRA). However, in my opinion the 'rider's school' is a little too general and not quite personal enough. Some of you may say 'Well this is because it's geared at a group so that the whole group can learn', however the whole reason I paid more was so that I could get instruction. Each person in the group is SUPPOSED to have themselves critiqued and have advice given per their riding style - that is what I thought a rider's school was from their description. In the end I felt like I pretty much paid to ride around the track in the back of a pickup and hear Ty talk about the track and get a sleeveless T-shirt, and then ride a normal track day. From what I expected about the 'riders school' it was an advanced-level course, and in order to enroll in the school you needed to already have a good bit of experience and preferably some racing under your belt - however the instruction that I saw wasn't really a whole lot more than you'd get from going to a regular track day and having instructors tell you how to properly ride a track day.

On that day, Martin went around the track with me for a bit, and gave me a very great deal of instruction, same as he did last time I was at Cresson. I got more from Martin (Big Comfy) than I did from Ty.

Perhaps it's different on different days, maybe some days Ty actually teaches a racer's school. However, the particular day that I experienced it I did not receive what I thought would be befitting of something titled a 'School for Racers' - I simply received track day advice and got to see footage of other riders.

In my opinion, rather than take the 'Ty Howard Racing School', sign up with an LSTD track day or a Texas Track Day. While I have some minor dislikes about TTD's setup, it is still (in my opinion) FAR superior, as is LSTD, to the Ty Howard Racing School. I've done track days with all 3 organizations, and the instructors at LSTD and TTD are FAR more helpful and more teacher-like than what I experienced with Ride Smart/THRS.

just my .02
10541 FM 1960 W #300 - (281) 477-3038
http://www.idbracing.com
civicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:52 AM   #9
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Is Larry still going to have his classes? Same price?
Old 02-10-2009, 07:29 AM   #10
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
Is Larry still going to have his classes? Same price?

Larry will still have his classes. The cost will be $80
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 07:48 AM   #11
cdill35

Bike(s):
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by civicious View Post

just my .02
Just curious Will....

Did you mention your frustration to Dave Wonders? I know that he welcomes all feedback and I am confident he would do whatever it took, to make things right.

And agreed to Martin, I was there that day as well, Big Comfy helped me out alot.
Old 02-10-2009, 09:13 AM   #12
Hooligan
Presrvtionthrudestruction

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
08 CBR 600rr
06 GSXR600
07 Honda crf50 (stunt)
Your mom

Send a message via AIM to Hooligan
Quote:
Just curious Will....

Did you mention your frustration to Dave Wonders? I know that he welcomes all feedback and I am confident he would do whatever it took, to make things right.

And agreed to Martin, I was there that day as well, Big Comfy helped me out alot.
+1

I've heard nothing but good things about the Ty Howard school, actually I was going to test it this season at TWS (Texas World Speedway)
I learned the awesomeness that is Hooligan.
Never trust your own eyes, believe what you are told.
Hooligan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:21 AM   #13
rc51eviltwin

Trackdays: 1

i thin that what civicius mentioned is very common,i took the class 8 times last year and that was almost always the case.did not bother me though,IMO he needs a couple of assistants instead of just one.that would drive the cost,which is still fine i think.recording equipment is a bit out dated IMO and kills some valuable time.also we always split a room with another level of riders that kindda makes kaos.again these are all thing that could improve but i am still very happy with what i got for only $50.....
rc51eviltwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 09:33 AM   #14
Turnerscasa
Box it, or bin it!

Bike(s):
2008 CBR1000RR
2007 GSXR750

Instruction from the top ranked SST rider in the country..priceless.. I dont know of any form of motorsport where you can get instruction from that level of talent,, for that amount of money. Its an efing GREAT deal! IMHO..
Turnerscasa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:13 AM   #15
gunshotwound
You have been warned!

Bike(s):
YAMAHA R6
YAMAHA FZ6

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rc51eviltwin View Post
i've said it a meeellion times and i'll say it again.
its worth every dime.
trail braking along with a faster line into the rattle snake and the back section at MSR-C...
will prolly do a couple of private lessons this season.
I would love to take some private lessons from Ty. But, at 500 plus track fee, I am just not that serious. Jus sayin.

CMRA #106
gunshotwound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 10:25 AM   #16
Brian f.

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike

Quote:
Originally Posted by gunshotwound View Post
I would love to take some private lessons from Ty. But, at 500 plus track fee, I am just not that serious. Jus sayin.
Yikes, so the 500 does not also cover the use of facility???? Whoa
Old 02-10-2009, 10:36 AM   #17
civicious

Bike(s):
TZR250

Quote:
Just curious Will....

Not sure who Dave Wonders is. I'm not , just putting my input in on this thread. Rather than and complain and make a big deal about it that day, I took it more as a 'live, learn, and move on' scenario where I knew that I wouldn't spend what was -in my opinion- a waste of money on the school again.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:37 AM   #18
civicious

Bike(s):
TZR250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerscasa View Post
Instruction from the top ranked SST rider in the country..priceless.. I dont know of any form of motorsport where you can get instruction from that level of talent,, for that amount of money. Its an efing GREAT deal! IMHO..
It's not priceless, especially when you aren't receiving any different advice than the people at other trackdays give you for NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE. If he was actually giving out top-racer-level advice it would be a different story.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:42 AM   #19
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)