Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2009, 11:45 AM   #61
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParAvion View Post
I put 3000 on my bike in a few months. I ride fast, take crazy turns at high speed and always keep my bike spotless you can ask anyone. I think the person who has a filthy bike that's all messed up has no respect for money, bikes, or themselves for that matter. How do you like that for a generalization?
Mad props to the harley riders who take care of their bikes. I have a nice house that I clean and mow the lawn. Am I a poser too?
True that, I think one should keep their cars, houses, bikes, clean just like their bodies.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley Riders lance8563 General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 08-13-2013 04:33 PM
darn Harley riders!!! exlaverda General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 01-12-2008 02:59 AM
harley riders crack me up sometimes. Azylum General Discussion (Moto Related) 130 08-18-2007 05:17 AM
Harley riders train460 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 01-06-2007 06:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-10-2009, 12:00 PM   #62
RACER X
what R you lookin' at?

Feedback Rating: (26)

Trackdays: 8

Bike(s):
'14 Honda GROM! 181cc of fury!!
'10 Aprilia Tuono Factory-SOLD
'08 Busa - sold
A few more bought
A few more sold

my bikes pretty dirty, i'm over cleaning my bike after ever ride. don't have the time nor inclination. but then again i have kids and the bike has 60k
Trump/Zimmerman 2016
Make America Great Again!
RACER X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 12:08 PM   #63
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:14 PM   #64
Guitar Man
Keep moving!!!!>>>>>>>>>>

Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
2013 Suzuki V Strom DL650 22,000 miles
09 Yamaha FZ6 59,651 miles (RIP)
07 Yamaha FZ6 39,668 miles (RIP)
73 Triumph Tiger 750
Cannondale Quick CX4 (Pedal Powaa!!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParAvion View Post
I put 3000 on my bike in a few months. I ride fast, take crazy turns at high speed and always keep my bike spotless you can ask anyone. I think the person who has a filthy bike that's all messed up has no respect for money, bikes, or themselves for that matter. How do you like that for a generalization?
Mad props to the harley riders who take care of their bikes. I have a nice house that I clean and mow the lawn. Am I a poser too?
If I'm going on a ride I will give the bike a real good look over the night before to make sure everything is in good working order and that nothing is loose. I don't want surprises going through a corner at breakneck speeds.

It stays pretty clean so I usually wipe it down before and after the ride. Once it's clean it dose'nt take much time to tiddy it up, maybe 10 to 15 minuets. Letting the squashed bugs stay on the windscreen for more than a day don't cut it. I wouldn't generalize it quite like you did, but I've seen some bikes on a few rides that I wouldn't throw my leg over. Some of them I think, "I bet he don't even know what his tire pressure is right now."
Old 02-10-2009, 03:17 PM   #65
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 03:57 PM   #66
motomax629
Retired Baller

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
05 Gixxer 1000 (track)
07 Gixxer 600 (track)
Fiddy w88 kit
WR426 TARD
74 H-D Superglide Shovelhead

Listen I kinda understand Redux's point.. (at this time I have 2 gixxers and 2 h-d's in the garage).
On road trips the Harley guy's are usually just a bunch of pompus idiots who think they ARE 's angels on any given moment of the weekend.
When we go to Bandera Tx I alway's opt for the Gixxer.. it's simply a better bike for safety (brakes).
If I want to cruise the hood I will pull out the 74 Shovelhead.. no big deal.
I ABSOLUTLEY POSITIVELY REFUSE to become a part of any m/c club.
Just pick a group of friends, assumeing you all can tolerate each other.. shut up and go ride.
So I guess my point is just turn the thing on the right grip shoot the finger with the left and just have fun... who gives a ?

**my mindless rant***
Old 02-10-2009, 04:17 PM   #67
Unleaded_Buell
Long Stroke; Low RPM

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Buell XB9

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Man View Post
Once it's clean it dose'nt take much time to tiddy it up, maybe 10 to 15 minuets.

+1 - Curb monkeys go for a clean machine!

Timidi mater non flet.
Unleaded_Buell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #68
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomax629 View Post
Listen I kinda understand Redux's point.. (at this time I have 2 gixxers and 2 h-d's in the garage).
On road trips the Harley guy's are usually just a bunch of pompus idiots who think they ARE 's angels on any given moment of the weekend.
When we go to Bandera Tx I alway's opt for the Gixxer.. it's simply a better bike for safety (brakes).
If I want to cruise the hood I will pull out the 74 Shovelhead.. no big deal.
I ABSOLUTLEY POSITIVELY REFUSE to become a part of any m/c club.
Just pick a group of friends, assumeing you all can tolerate each other.. shut up and go ride.
So I guess my point is just turn the thing on the right grip shoot the finger with the left and just have fun... who gives a ?

**my mindless rant***
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:16 PM   #69
seratt

Bike(s):
88' Super Magna

Member Garage

Why I have two bikes.

One stays in the garage usually, all nice and pretty. The other one is lucky to see a water hose.

We all have our priorities I guess.

I didn't read the entire thread, sorry, but to the OP. Yea, it seems a lot of people get harleys just for the name. I wouldn't be surprised if all those trucks on the road with the harley sticker on the back, if the driver didn't even own a bike.

The same can be said for many sport bike riders though. It's all generalizations. No matter what you do or who you are, there's always gonna be people who get on your nerves.
Old 02-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #70
cj_sandman
custom user title!!

Bike(s):
'03 CBR 600 F4i
'99 FXST

There's been a lot lost over the years on this one. The reason "old school" Harley riders hate Japanese sportbikes/cruisers is a simple reason. They hated everything Japanese. They hated them because of Pearl Harbor, they grew up with these attitudes, and perpetuated them. Honda was making excellent bikes way back with plenty of great technological advances, but they didn't gain any notoriety until much later simply because no one wanted to buy them because they were Japanese-made. It has nothing to do with the product. It was the mindset.

Look up the history on why the "FatBoy" is named what it is, and maybe go ask someone why the Anniversary edition has 7 yellow rings on it (and you'll begin to understand)

New "yuppie" Harley owners who foul out their plugs showing off what the bike "sounds" like in their garages don't even have a clue WHY they don't like Japanese bikes. I'd have to assume its something like "Since I own a Harley, now I don't like Japanese bikes".

I worked for HD for some years and it was often comical. I'd see people who'd come trade in their V-Star or Shadow - telling me what a great bike it is and trying to convince me to give them more for their trade; and they'd buy a Fatboy and then be in two weeks later with a completely changed attitude talking shyt about metrics (as if they'd never owned one!)

If you're going to love/hate something, at least have a qualified opinion. I've put several thousands of miles on both Harley and metric cruisers and in my opinion the Harleys are more comfortable (handlebar positioning/seat/foot positioning), more spacious, they have a more usable power band, lower center of gravity, extremely well balanced... but that's just my opinion.

That being said, I don't hate Japanese cruisers. For the $, they are a freaking steal.

The only thing I find annoying is when people with Japanese cruisers go covert and try to do their best to make their bike look like an HD... , you're on two wheels - just love the one you're on.
cj_sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:51 PM   #71
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seratt View Post
Why I have two bikes.

One stays in the garage usually, all nice and pretty. The other one is lucky to see a water hose.

We all have our priorities I guess.

I didn't read the entire thread, sorry, but to the OP. Yea, it seems a lot of people get harleys just for the name. I wouldn't be surprised if all those trucks on the road with the harley sticker on the back, if the driver didn't even own a bike.

The same can be said for many sport bike riders though. It's all generalizations. No matter what you do or who you are, there's always gonna be people who get on your nerves.

+1
I always wonder if the guys that pimp the WCC or OCC stickers on the back window have one,(NO) Want one (pipe dream) or simply like the show on Discovery.
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:35 PM   #72
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_sandman View Post
There's been a lot lost over the years on this one. The reason "old school" Harley riders hate Japanese sportbikes/cruisers is a simple reason. They hated everything Japanese. They hated them because of Pearl Harbor, they grew up with these attitudes, and perpetuated them. Honda was making excellent bikes way back with plenty of great technological advances, but they didn't gain any notoriety until much later simply because no one wanted to buy them because they were Japanese-made. It has nothing to do with the product. It was the mindset.

Look up the history on why the "FatBoy" is named what it is, and maybe go ask someone why the Anniversary edition has 7 yellow rings on it (and you'll begin to understand)

New "yuppie" Harley owners who foul out their plugs showing off what the bike "sounds" like in their garages don't even have a clue WHY they don't like Japanese bikes. I'd have to assume its something like "Since I own a Harley, now I don't like Japanese bikes".

I worked for HD for some years and it was often comical. I'd see people who'd come trade in their V-Star or Shadow - telling me what a great bike it is and trying to convince me to give them more for their trade; and they'd buy a Fatboy and then be in two weeks later with a completely changed attitude talking shyt about metrics (as if they'd never owned one!)

If you're going to love/hate something, at least have a qualified opinion. I've put several thousands of miles on both Harley and metric cruisers and in my opinion the Harleys are more comfortable (handlebar positioning/seat/foot positioning), more spacious, they have a more usable power band, lower center of gravity, extremely well balanced... but that's just my opinion.

That being said, I don't hate Japanese cruisers. For the $, they are a freaking steal.

The only thing I find annoying is when people with Japanese cruisers go covert and try to do their best to make their bike look like an HD... , you're on two wheels - just love the one you're on.
Good post.
Old 02-10-2009, 06:44 PM   #73
Jerran V

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR 1000

The show is on TLC first of all...

Why do people route for their football team and shyt-talk the other? Pick Ford over Chevy? HD over "Rice rockets"? Because they can. It gives them a sense of belonging...validates them. Helps them to identify with like-minded people.

As far as the waving thing...I think some (small percent) HD riders don't wave because they are a-holes...the others, I think are too scared to take one of their hands off the bars...being as they only ride a few miles/month
Jerran V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 06:56 PM   #74
Guitar Man

Bike(s):
73 Triumph Tiger 750

About 99% of all the Harley riders that I wave at wave back. Maybe I'm lucky and don't run into all the tools.
Old 02-10-2009, 08:58 PM   #75
wantabuell
repsol motor oil only

Bike(s):
00 Suzuki Katana

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj_sandman View Post

very well said sir. mindset is the problem. Interestingly enough when I worked at Autozone I met a couple of hardcore war veterans that absolutely loved their Honda/kawasaki cruisers.
wantabuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:56 PM   #76
houstonch73
Banned

Feedback Rating: (1)

Send a message via Yahoo to houstonch73
User is banned

houstonch73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #77
houstonch73
Banned