MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-09-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Redux

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 2 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Angry Harley riders are... posers? Semi-troll.

My friends have been begging me to take them on a fun ride for a while. And all of them have finally purchased enough gear for me not to call their mothers every time they jump on the bikes, so this weekend was a go.

I picked a decent route in the North-East side that I though was suitable, but they wanted to do the Forest instead.

Long story short, we ended up at Yankees. And there was a Harley Infestation there for some reason. Oh wait! There was some N-months in advance pre-planned event there. Probably explains the HOG tent. Anyway, that's why I hate going to the forest on the weekends.

This is where my rant comes in - contrary to high-decibel attitudes and their un-muffled pipes, 95% of the Harley in the parking lot were absolutely spotless and under 10k miles on them.

I do not even bother washing my bike any more because in 24 hours it goes back to its authentic grizzled mud and dust outfit from riding in Houston. When I do wash it, some places and crevices are accessible only with either a toothpick or a high-pressure hose, but I just wait for the dirt to layer and fall off by itself. And here were some gas tanks that my dish-washing machine could probably use as an inspiration.
Thus, each and every one of those riders either spent their Saturday evening with a tooth-brush going around the chrome, instead of watching football and drinking bear and spending time with their wife, or they just take them out on Sundays when its sunny.

Then, as I went around, I could not help but notice how most odometers tell a story of roughly 1000 miles per year. That's 5 gas tanks! Some even less. This probably explains why the new Harleys use digital odometers - when the bike is off, you can't see the mileage.

And then it dawned on me - Harley riders are ... posers! Just like the PP1 crowd that spawn on MH from time to time to sell their 2002 GSXR's with sub 5K miles on them!

Which probably explains why Harley-marketed gear was so abundant. Hey, at least its not ICON. Although it would be comical.
It also explains the lack of gear. Helmets were scarce. And I know for a fact, as we've had this discussion on here before, that helmets aren't just for crashing sport-bike riders. (Apparently Harley riders don't go down face-first... EVER!) They play a big part in riding in the rain, wind, and debree - which is just about everywhere. I can't even ride with an open face shield much.
While my bike was covered with my jacket, helmet, gloves, spine protector after I got off, the Harley next to me had a pair of sunglasses folded neatly on the seat.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be GixxerBill here by lumping individuals into a strict category. You see, there were 4 Harleys there that I have great respect for - the ones with miles, and the wear to show it. They had rusted crash bars, bug juice on their windshields and riders with furry beards to back it up. Both probably were in need of a bath and shave, but whatever.

But in the end, I'm kinda

Cliffs:

Went to Yankees, saw lots of Harleys. Most of them had sub 10k miles and no road wear. Riders had a strict attire of HD-marketed gear, or the lack there-of. Looked very much like PP1. Conclusion - Harley riders are posers.
Disclaimer: not all HD riders are posers.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Harley Riders lance8563 General Discussion (Moto Related) 34 08-13-2013 04:33 PM
darn Harley riders!!! exlaverda General Discussion (Moto Related) 20 01-12-2008 02:59 AM
harley riders crack me up sometimes. Azylum General Discussion (Moto Related) 130 08-18-2007 05:17 AM
Harley riders train460 General Discussion (Moto Related) 13 01-06-2007 06:51 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-09-2009, 02:21 AM   #2
Falkryte
SBN Vag Inspector

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
ninja 650r
ttr 125
crf50
tarded450

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redux View Post
My friends have been begging me to take them on a fun ride for a while. And all of them have finally purchased enough gear for me not to call their mothers every time they jump on the bikes, so this weekend was a go.

I picked a decent route in the North-East side that I though was suitable, but they wanted to do the Forest instead.

Long story short, we ended up at Yankees. And there was a Harley Infestation there for some reason. Oh wait! There was some N-months in advance pre-planned event there. Probably explains the HOG tent. Anyway, that's why I hate going to the forest on the weekends.

This is where my rant comes in - contrary to high-decibel attitudes and their un-muffled pipes, 95% of the Harley in the parking lot were absolutely spotless and under 10k miles on them.

I do not even bother washing my bike any more because in 24 hours it goes back to its authentic grizzled mud and dust outfit from riding in Houston. When I do wash it, some places and crevices are accessible only with either a toothpick or a high-pressure hose, but I just wait for the dirt to layer and fall off by itself. And here were some gas tanks that my dish-washing machine could probably use as an inspiration.
Thus, each and every one of those riders either spent their Saturday evening with a tooth-brush going around the chrome, instead of watching football and drinking bear and spending time with their wife, or they just take them out on Sundays when its sunny.

Then, as I went around, I could not help but notice how most odometers tell a story of roughly 1000 miles per year. That's 5 gas tanks! Some even less. This probably explains why the new Harleys use digital odometers - when the bike is off, you can't see the mileage.

And then it dawned on me - Harley riders are ... posers! Just like the PP1 crowd that spawn on MH from time to time to sell their 2002 GSXR's with sub 5K miles on them!

Which probably explains why Harley-marketed gear was so abundant. Hey, at least its not ICON. Although it would be comical.
It also explains the lack of gear. Helmets were scarce. And I know for a fact, as we've had this discussion on here before, that helmets aren't just for crashing sport-bike riders. (Apparently Harley riders don't go down face-first... EVER!) They play a big part in riding in the rain, wind, and debree - which is just about everywhere. I can't even ride with an open face shield much.
While my bike was covered with my jacket, helmet, gloves, spine protector after I got off, the Harley next to me had a pair of sunglasses folded neatly on the seat.

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be GixxerBill here by lumping individuals into a strict category. You see, there were 4 Harleys there that I have great respect for - the ones with miles, and the wear to show it. They had rusted crash bars, bug juice on their windshields and riders with furry beards to back it up. Both probably were in need of a bath and shave, but whatever.

But in the end, I'm kinda

Cliffs:

Went to Yankees, saw lots of Harleys. Most of them had sub 10k miles and no road wear. Riders had a strict attire of HD-marketed gear, or the lack there-of. Looked very much like PP1. Conclusion - Harley riders are posers.

Seriously... I woke my dog up I was laughing so hard... nice...
Old 02-09-2009, 02:49 AM   #3
TexasPsyclone
Leah's

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
Honda CX500 and VF1100C (Those were last century)
87 HD FXLR (Gave her up)
03 ZX7R
94 HD FXLR
Cannondale R600 & Killer V900 (1HP....thats Human Power)

Quote:

Now, don't get me wrong. I'm not trying to be GixxerBill here by lumping individuals into a strict category.

Conclusion - Harley riders are posers.

Interesting contradiction. So, what was your point? Harley riders aren't real riders if their bikes aren't dirty? I have a neighbor who rides more than 99% of the people on MH. He writes for BikerNet. He wasted no time cutting up a brand new Springer Softail with a hack saw. Bike is sick looking now. He washes that thing twice a week. Is he a "real biker"?

I know a Bandido or two who would laugh their off at what some people on here consider "hard core".

My latest bike is the 03 Kawi with 6800 miles. Guess if you looked at the odometer you wouldn't ever guess that I have nearly 50,000 miles under my wheels over the last 18 years. (still doesn't seem like that much).

It just kinda bugs me when all I see is further division on each side of the line. Funny... when I see someone on a bike, regardless of make, style, color, displacement - I feel the urge to give a wave, because I have something in common with that person. I'm just glad to see others in the wind - there are lots of cage jockeys that would love to see no bikes anywhere. If it puts a smile on their face, who cares?? You see, my point is perspective. I'm sure that most of them have all the same comments about sport bike riders. Why DO we all have to go sit in our respective boxes?? I always thought it was cool as sh*t to see Jesse James blowin off steam on some bad azz Gixxer and then go back into his shop and bend metal into someone's dream bike (a total poser no doubt) Perspective... hmmmmmm
"The average street rider, feels he/she is an "above average" street rider... the majority are NOT. (they think they are, but they are not) straight up. The ones that are, typically don't show it, or don't know it....or are getting paid big bucks for it." - GAU-8
sigpic9903 2
TexasPsyclone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:51 AM   #4
The_Gunslinger
Kamakasi

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 9 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'07 zx6r
'02 xr250r

can you blame 'em?

how much would you like to ride a two wheeled tractor?
The_Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:29 AM   #5
Helios
Back again again...

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
06 Silver Gixxer

Member Garage

I guess in my opinion I don't really care what a person rides or how much they ride, it's their attitude. I have met Harley riders that you would consider posers but are really cool people, then I've met hardcore speed racers that are total pricks.

Me, I like to think I'm a bit of both. I TRY to keep my cruiser spotless, but I'm not afraid to take it out with the sport bikes and eat some dust and bugs and scrape the pegs up.

I guess some Harley riders see them as show bikes and like to polish the chrome and stand around, drink brew and shoot the bull. Nothing wrong with that. There are alot of car enthusiast that get together on the weekends and do the same thing with cars. The only thing wrong with that is other people's perception of it... if you do it, it's cool. If you don't then they're posers.

Meh, to each his own...
Helios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:30 AM   #6
level5
moving chicane

I can tell you that there are more HD riders that put more miles in harsh weather than the sportbike rider.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:11 AM   #7
SecretAgent
The one and only

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
yes, unfortunately an HD is the weapon of choice for the weekend badass. BUT, if you look past all the $500 chinese made harley branded leather jackets, you'll find the real guys, who bought their bikes to ride, not as a status symbol.

there are idiots in every crowd, unfortunately, they stick out more than the rest of us, so their the ones that always get noticed.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
SecretAgent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:16 AM   #8
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasPsyclone View Post
Interesting contradiction. So, what was your point? Harley riders aren't real riders if their bikes aren't dirty? I have a neighbor who rides more than 99% of the people on MH. He writes for BikerNet. He wasted no time cutting up a brand new Springer Softail with a hack saw. Bike is sick looking now. He washes that thing twice a week. Is he a "real biker"?

I know a Bandido or two who would laugh their off at what some people on here consider "hard core".

My latest bike is the 03 Kawi with 6800 miles. Guess if you looked at the odometer you wouldn't ever guess that I have nearly 50,000 miles under my wheels over the last 18 years. (still doesn't seem like that much).

It just kinda bugs me when all I see is further division on each side of the line. Funny... when I see someone on a bike, regardless of make, style, color, displacement - I feel the urge to give a wave, because I have something in common with that person. I'm just glad to see others in the wind - there are lots of cage jockeys that would love to see no bikes anywhere. If it puts a smile on their face, who cares?? You see, my point is perspective. I'm sure that most of them have all the same comments about sport bike riders. Why DO we all have to go sit in our respective boxes?? I always thought it was cool as sh*t to see Jesse James blowin off steam on some bad azz Gixxer and then go back into his shop and bend metal into someone's dream bike (a total poser no doubt) Perspective... hmmmmmm

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:22 AM   #9
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

I ride both HD and 2 Sport bikes. I guess because i keep my bikes spotless im a poser! I dont think so... I look at it as being on 2 wheels. I could care less what you ride, what you wear. Let the weekend worriors act like idiots. Who cares. How many people on here are posers for not having miles upon miles on their sport bikes. I could give a how many miles are on a bike. Being a veteran with 1 year, how many mile are you racking up?

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:35 AM   #10
cdill35

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Last edited by cdill35; 02-09-2009 at 07:36 AM. Reason: sometimes second thoughts are a good thing.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:49 AM   #11
lar300mag

Bike(s):
2007 HD Night Train
2008 Hayabusa

I was going to comment, it aint worth it...Now to go buy some harley parts.
lar300mag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:24 AM   #12
JP171

Bike(s):
00' GSXR 750
05 636

my take on the subject is this however incorrect it may be. More hoggly riders are weekend wankers as a broad generalization, they seem to think cause they have a hoggly and put a few hundred miles a year that they are better than sportbike (or any "") riders. I have had more shoveled in my direction from the hoggly crowd than any sportbike rider. I do have to say it isn't all of them, been told by the grizzeled old hoggly riders in the past that my bike looks good and that they think I'm an ok rider for a guy on a crotch rocket. so it seem to me that the "status symbol" of a hoggly bring out the rectal orifices and that sportbikes bring out the dipshitz whoe give us all a bad name, I've had some rectal orifice tell me the my " bike" didn't need "no gas, somove so he could fill up his truck" btw the truck was a truck made mostly in mexico and assembled here.

For those looking to give back to Texas and serve those in times of need, Join the Texas State Guard.
Locate a Recruiter http://www.gotxsg.com/join.php
JP171 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 08:33 AM   #13
Badzx14r
Banned

Bike(s):
2many2list

User is banned

Badzx14r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 09:51 AM   #14
Unleaded_Buell
Long Stroke; Low RPM

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2008 Buell XB9

Member Garage

This is the same rivalry I see on the car cicuit. I have a '74 Nova that I've put tons of time and way too much money into. When I go to shows there's a definate disdain among the muscle car guys who custom fab, spend a small house and put thousands of hours into the cars they drive 100 miles a year for the "kids" who go to ricer.com and bolt $900 worth of mass-produced aftermarket to the daily driver they're leasing.

Different people are just into it for different reasons and, to a large extent, the difference is one of generations and objectives. A lot of the Harleys on the road today are ridden by guys that would have been golfing 10 years ago but they've decided instead to get back on the bike they wanted or had in high school. It's their choice to spend $40k on an out-of-the-box show machine and spend their time on the roads with us. So what if they don't wear gear or ride on weekdays.

The sportbike crowd would do well to remember that, before the gixxers, busas and r6's came out, it was the hard core daily Harley rider that kept the game going, kept Yankees in business and stood up for motorcyclist's rights and safety on the road.

So yeah, there are a lot of baby boomers buying tricked out Harleys just like there are a lot of them buying up classic muscle cars at Barrett Jackson. They don't appreciate what they have, they'll be too old to ride in a few years and their kids will be selling those mint babies on ebay for $6k. When they're gone, the hard core cruisers will still be around, in their minority, and the majority of sportbike riders will be the equivalent of "ricers," young and inexperienced with a lot less money and time invested and less of an appreciation for what makes a bike.

So how do we claim to get more out of it or somehow be more "legit?"

In the end, the important thing to remember is that those pretty bikes at Yankees on Saturday morning are going to be a of a deal in a couple of years, so stake one out now. Those posers won't need'm for long. In the meantime, you check the for sale section for a lot of low-miles sport bikes with plenty of extras!

Timidi mater non flet.

Last edited by Unleaded_Buell; 02-09-2009 at 09:54 AM.
Unleaded_Buell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:12 AM   #15
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
By your definition of a poser, I guess I'm a poser too. My '07 Gixxer 1k was purchased in September '07 and wrecked July '08. In that time period it racked up only 1350 miles, and it was SPOTLESS the day it was wrecked.

nevermind that 1200 of those were TRACK miles. The point being that: just because you have something doesn't mean you're REQUIRED to wear it the **** out, and treat it like just to be "legit."
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:23 AM   #16
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

i put 5and a half k on my motard in 3 months i just felt like i needed to prove myself lol
Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #17
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #18
bluewave18
Safety Third

Bike(s):
08 Busa
03 XR 50

I have 200 miles on my bike. Its spotless and sitting in the garage as we speak. I'm a poser for sure.
bluewave18 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:45 AM   #19
lonnief2
Kind of a troll now

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2008 Suzuki GSXR 750
totally totaled

Send a message via AIM to lonnief2 Send a message via Yahoo to lonnief2 Send a message via Skype™ to lonnief2
Quote:

you gotta be a tuff sumb!tch to drink BEAR, esp while watching football

but much like that comment most of your rant doesnt make sense
you dont respect a clean bike with under 10k miles on it and/or HD/Icon gear?

yep thats worth posting about

(ps you better not had touched my sunglasses i left neatly folded on my seat while you were going around sniffing our bikes looking for clean spots and odometer readings)
lonnief2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 11:56 AM   #20
Redux

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
grasshopper

Quote:
Originally Posted by po-po 5.0 View Post
By your definition of a poser, I guess I'm a poser too. My '07 Gixxer 1k was purchased in September '07 and wrecked July '08. In that time period it racked up only 1350 miles, and it was SPOTLESS the day it was wrecked.

nevermind that 1200 of those were TRACK miles. The point being that: just because you have something doesn't mean you're REQUIRED to wear it the **** out, and treat it like just to be "legit."
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluewave18 View Post
I have 200 miles on my bike. Its spotless and sitting in the garage as we speak. I'm a poser for sure.

I guess I did not make my point clear enough. What makes them posers, IMO, is the how contrasting their attitudes and pop culture is to the story their bikes tell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave C View Post
and how many miles do you have on your bike Redux?
Going on 40k for the last 12 months.
Redux is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement