MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 08:53 PM   #1
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

Sepang test: Honda limit revs on satellite team engines

Quote:
MotoGP

05 February 2009 12:01

Honda has implemented an 18,200rpm limit on the RC212V engines it leases to satellite teams like Randy de Puniet’s LCR squad.

The satellite teams have all taken delivery of the V4 pneumatic valve motor that was used by factory duo Nicky Hayden for most of last season and Dani Pedrosa in the closing stages of the campaign.

Get all the latest MotoGP news
But the replacement for the previous conventional spring valve motor has come at a price, with the rev limit set at 18,200rpm.

That is 800rpm lower than the engines ran in 2008 and close to what the spring valve motor used.

The move has been introduced as part of a cost cutting drive by Honda and will help save on mileage costs and parts.
and so the BS begins
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ducati announces Ben Spies and Andrea Iannone for Pramac satellite team in 2013 rob78 Taking it to the Track 44 09-30-2012 02:35 AM
Team No Limit & Britton at Cleveland IMS gsxrjai Stunters Lounge 17 02-09-2011 11:55 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2009, 08:58 PM   #2
LivInG lYfE
Blessed!!!

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
None

Sucks performance has to suffer.
LivInG lYfE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 09:24 PM   #3
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Good thing Dovi has a factory bike now, otherwise you would use this as an excuse to pay me my beer
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 10:20 PM   #4
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Par for the course when riding a Honda it would seem. Next time they should just break on of RDP's hands and get it over with. Jeesh.
tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 AM   #5
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileono918 View Post
Good thing Dovi has a factory bike now, otherwise you would use this as an excuse to pay me my beer

Old 02-09-2009, 07:51 AM   #6
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Par for the course when riding a Honda it would seem. Next time they should just break on of RDP's hands and get it over with. Jeesh.
IMO think this is all about preventing the embarrassment of a saterlite Honda beating the factory Honda as was the case occassionally last year with Dovi and D'angelis and has nothing to do with cost cutting.
Old 02-09-2009, 08:58 AM   #7
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Good point. Isn't there something Dorna could impose to make this a level playing field? Although this DOES sound alot like the suggestion from Yamaha concerning cost cutting.
tiatool is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 10:19 AM   #8
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiatool View Post
Good point. Isn't there something Dorna could impose to make this a level playing field? Although this DOES sound alot like the suggestion from Yamaha concerning cost cutting.
maybe I'm being too cynical
the bikes affected are leased bikes, Honda is not footing the bill directly.
Why govern them at this stage??
when and if the cost cutting proposals are put in force then do it.
I don't understand HRC at all
Old 02-09-2009, 11:27 AM   #9
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Told ya man, it sucks for the sat teams.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
Grinchy

Bike(s):
'prila

de Angelis: Elias has more revs - a lot more

Alex de Angelis has confirmed that the factory spec RC212V used by San Carlo Honda Gresini team-mate Toni Elias is 'completely different' to his satellite machine.

The promise of factory equipment was instrumental in tempting Elias back to Gresini after a season at Pramac Ducati but, with all Honda riders getting a pneumatic-valve engine for 2009, there had been doubts as to just how different Toni's machine would actually be.

Whilst stating that the new satellite RCV is very different from last year's customer bike, de Angelis maintains that it is still a long way off the factory machines of Elias and official HRC riders Dani Pedrosa and Andrea Dovizioso.

“The new [satellite] bike is very, very different from last year,” said de Angelis, speaking exclusively to Crash.net. “The character of the engine is very, very different. Low down there is no push. The top part is very good, but only the top part.

“My bike is completely different from Toni's - the chassis, electronics, link, airbox, silencer, many things. He also has more revs than me…”

The satellite bikes are believed to have had a rev limit imposed for the 2009 season, but de Angelis wouldn't be drawn on exactly what the rev difference between factory and satellite Honda currently is.

“A lot!” he smiled.

de Angelis finished the Sepang test as the top satellite Honda rider in eleventh position, but was six places and almost one second behind Elias.
The San Marinese, who claimed fourth position twice during his debut MotoGP season, explained that several of Sepang's corners were particularly punishing for his power delivery.

“The lack of engine push low down makes it difficult for set-up and feeling. I was one second faster on [day three] but still I am a long way from the top,” confessed Alex, who lapped 1.480sec behind Ducati's Casey Stoner.

“This track is not good for my bike because there are many slow corners and when I open the throttle the engine is slow to pick up. But I hope that at Qatar, which is more flowing, it will be possible to push more.”

By contrast, Colin Edwards has revealed that the new Yamaha YZR-M1 has much stronger low and middle range grunt than last year, making it 'like a 990' to ride (see separate story).

Honda may yet improve the character of the customer RCV power delivery, but de Angelis does not know when.

“I don't have any communication from Honda yet about when any new parts will arrive,” he said.

The next pre-season test will take place in Qatar from March 1-3, with the first race of 2009 also at the Losail circuit on April 12.

Advertisement