MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-08-2009, 05:34 PM   #1
Squared

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
92' Nissan Pickup

To sell or repair, that is the question.

So as some of you may remember, my bike which was stolen last year got returned to me recently. It has pretty minor damage, and really will only cost the price of the lock replacement kit, a foot peg, and new fluids/plugs/battery to get rolling again.

Now what I really want to know is if I should try to repair all this "little" stuff, or try to sell the bike to someone who wants to run it as a streetfighter or who doesn't mind paying out the cost to get the fairings repainted and make the bike "pretty" again.

Here's a link to all the damage to the bike, which I posted in a previous thread:

http://www.motohouston.com/forums/sh...&postcount=106

Now the deal is that I have about $2500 sitting around that I don't need. I wouldn't mind buying a slightly used bike, and I have been thinking about moving up to something with a little more power, maybe a 636 or a 750.

What could I get for my bike in the condition that it's in? Would it be more worth it to try and sell it and the fairings as is and then couple that money with my saved purse to try and get another bike?

Here's some quotes I got from Motorcycles Unlimited for the replacement parts needed to ride it:

Lock set: $220
Peg: $50
Plugs/Battery/Fluids: ???

And here's some of the more cosmetic stuff:

Clutch cover and gasket: $130
Triple: $150
Tank: $400 (although they recommended I go to Toms Paint/Body and just get it repaired and repainted)
Painting the whole bike: ???

So if I do all the work myself it's still going to cost quite a bit after repainting and all that jazz.

Should I just try to sell it? It was never ridden after the theft, just stored, and I took good care of it prior to that. Like 4k miles on it...

What do ya'll think I should do, and do you think anyone would want to buy it in the condition it is in?
Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
paper stock certificate question ....how to sell Homebrew Off Topic 5 10-18-2013 02:18 PM
auto repair question Chubby Racer Off Topic 28 06-22-2009 07:29 PM
does someone here sell new bikes? I have a question about credit approval. hotcknstrips Off Topic 2 08-13-2008 06:21 PM
question about bike repair? HoustonGixxer General Discussion (Moto Related) 4 09-27-2007 12:30 AM
Quick question about tire repair isoplus How To's and Q & A's 17 09-18-2007 08:53 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-08-2009, 05:39 PM   #2
KaMaKaZeE_FZR!
Fighter Pilot

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
1991 Yamaha FZR 1000(almost back) somethin special to come

Member Garage

build a fighter, its seems all cosmetic, just depends on what you are wanting to end up with. if you decide to get another bike, what are you thinking about asking for this one?
KaMaKaZeE_FZR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:40 PM   #3
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

Feedback Rating: (3)

Trackdays: 10+

2003 kawasaki z1000

Send a message via AIM to S_M_J82
does it run? did you try to start it? I know you said it need a lock cylinder set but i'm sure there is away to start the bike since they stole it? Turn it into a street fighter!
Old 02-08-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Feedback Rating: (13)

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet
'89 Yamaha FZR400 Trackbike
'83 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk
'07 Step-2 (ok, it's my daughter's)

Here's some quotes I got from Motorcycles Unlimited for the replacement parts needed to ride it:

Lock set: $220
Peg: $50
Plugs/Battery/Fluids: ???

Just take care of that and you're good to go

I laid my 650 Nighthawk down at least 3 or 4 times back in the day. It was my first real streetbike. Each time, I just went to the dealer or scrapyard (Sam's Motorcycle Salvage) to get the parts I needed, and put it back together. Kept the dents in the tank for memory's sake

Don't let the cosmetics bother you or keep you from riding, nor be concerned with how it looks until you can get the money to fix it.

But if you really want to get rid of it now, I would take the time to fix it. As much as you can yourself to save some money. Anyone who wants to buy it in this condition will offer you the least return on your investment, in consideration of the time and trouble they will go through to fix it themselves.
FlipSideUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:59 PM   #5
Squared

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
92' Nissan Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaMaKaZeE_FZR! View Post
build a fighter, its seems all cosmetic, just depends on what you are wanting to end up with. if you decide to get another bike, what are you thinking about asking for this one?
I don't know what to ask for this one, which is one reason for the post.

Does anyone know what people usually pay for this type of condition on a bike? I've never sold anything in this kind of condition so I'm curious as to what people usually get for bikes like this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_J82 View Post
does it run? did you try to start it? I know you said it need a lock cylinder set but i'm sure there is away to start the bike since they stole it? Turn it into a street fighter!
They put in the bed of a truck when they stole it. I don't want to start it now because it sat for 8 months after it was stolen, the fuel in it is bad and the battery is dead currently.

They never turned it on even when it was stolen.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
[I][COLOR="Red"]

Don't let the cosmetics bother you or keep you from riding, nor be concerned with how it looks until you can get the money to fix it.
I know maybe I seem like a ***got for wanting it to look nice while I ride it, but that's kind of part of why I want to get rid of it. I like the fact that I take care of my bikes and I take pride in how they look. I want it to be nice, because it's kind of a hobby of mine and I really do get a sense of pride and accomplishment out of it.

I spent the money and time making it nice in the first place, so it's frustrating to have to do it again.

Last edited by Squared; 02-08-2009 at 06:02 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:04 PM   #6
Old School RR

Bike(s):
1999 Honda 900RR....sold
2003 Z1000...currently on the disabled list

Send a message via Yahoo to Old School RR
i'd just build a street fighter....your almost there
Old 02-08-2009, 06:10 PM   #7
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

2003 kawasaki z1000

i've got $500 for it right now they way it sits

jk. what do you owe on it still?
Old 02-08-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
Squared

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
92' Nissan Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by S_M_J82 View Post
i've got $500 for it right now they way it sits

jk. what do you owe on it still?
Don't owe anything, I bought it cash in hand. Considering it's mostly cosmetic, I would hope for more than $500 lol.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:15 PM   #9
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

2003 kawasaki z1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squared View Post
Don't owe anything, I bought it cash in hand. Considering it's mostly cosmetic, I would hope for more than $500 lol.
honestly i couldnt tell you without knowing how it runs... spend the money to get it running right and i would say $1500 to $3000 depending on what you put into the rest
Old 02-08-2009, 06:21 PM   #10
Squared

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
92' Nissan Pickup

Last edited by Squared; 02-08-2009 at 06:23 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:22 PM   #11
KaMaKaZeE_FZR!
Fighter Pilot

Bike(s):
1991 Yamaha FZR 1000(almost back) somethin special to come

Member Garage

since looks are important, rebuilding will get expensive to get it back to factory, and with the blue book on it, you would end up with an inevitable money pit. im interested if you decide to sell, send me a pm and we can kick around some #'s
KaMaKaZeE_FZR! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:25 PM   #12
Squared

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
92' Nissan Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaMaKaZeE_FZR! View Post
since looks are important, rebuilding will get expensive to get it back to factory, and with the blue book on it, you would end up with an inevitable money pit. im interested if you decide to sell, send me a pm and we can kick around some #'s
Exactly what I was thinking. Serious money pit possibility. If someone did it right, it would be *sick* as a streetfighter. I just don't know if I have the time for that right now with work being so busy.

I am attending conferences starting next week that are going to seriously eat into my free time.

I'll shoot you a PM for sure...
Old 02-08-2009, 06:27 PM   #13
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:
I don't know what to ask for this one, which is one reason for the post.

Does anyone know what people usually pay for this type of condition on a bike? I've never sold anything in this kind of condition so I'm curious as to what people usually get for bikes like this...
I think it'll come down more to what people are willing to offer, rather than what you may ask. So just start off by asking KBB minus the costs to repair, and see where the negotiations go from there.

Quote:
I know maybe I seem like a ***got for wanting it to look nice while I ride it, but that's kind of part of why I want to get rid of it. I like the fact that I take care of my bikes and I take pride in how they look. I want it to be nice, because it's kind of a hobby of mine and I really do get a sense of pride and accomplishment out of it.

I spent the money and time making it nice in the first place, so it's frustrating to have to do it again.
I hear you. I'm the same way. Just take a look at my bike (MH BOTM March '08 & BOTM Oct. '08 on a more national bike forum). I'm a Moddaholic! And I was the same way with my Nighthawk.

The difference between me now (41 yrs old) and then (21 yrs old) is that I have a little more spending money than when I was a young kid.

Maybe look at it this way!... The essentials to get it running are minimal in costs. The cosmetic damages gives you an opportunity to replace rashed parts with more upgrades & mods, and get a custom paintjob done to your bike! These 650Rs make great streetfighters, and I'm not just saying that. The whole look without the fairings, with the way the frame and shock is set up, offer alot of possibilities to make bold statements about your ride.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:29 PM   #14
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Old 02-08-2009, 06:34 PM   #15
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 06:36 PM   #16
Squared

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
92' Nissan Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlipSideUp View Post
Well there you go! That's what i'm talking about!!
Versys cluster/headlight and turn signals, Ermax rear hugger, Targa seat cowl, just from eyeballing it I'd say that's a whole of a lot of aftermarket and versys stuff.

I wonder how much he spent doing this. It's super cool.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:38 PM   #17
S_M_J82
Prime Time!!!

2003 kawasaki z1000

Quote:
Versys cluster/headlight and turn signals, Ermax rear hugger, Targa seat cowl, just from eyeballing it I'd say that's a whole of a lot of aftermarket and versys stuff.

do it clean like the white one. just only black and red cheap and looks great!
Old 02-08-2009, 06:40 PM   #18
FlipSideUp
This Flip Rides Nekkid

Bike(s):
'03 Honda 919 Hornet

Quote:

Add it up! You can always build your bike up over time.
Old 02-08-2009, 06:44 PM   #19
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

actually the black and red one looks like a euro model ER6-N. i think its either euro or aussie cause of the license plate.

http://www.kawasaki.com/Products/pro...?id=373&scid=6

so looks like he didn't do much. seat cowl, aftermarket rearsets, rear hugger, and new bars.

i really like the way the versys belly pan looks on the 650 =)
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 08:07 PM   #20
Squared

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
92' Nissan Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by switch View Post
thats a sweet 650.

check out this one:

650R painted white

Dammit, if someone can tell me what exhaust and handlebars these are, I will YOU UP.

Seriously, I really like the look of both parts, and I can't figure it out. I wonder if the bars are custom made or something...

Advertisement