Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-07-2009, 11:18 PM   #1
Da9tegra

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
97 Honda CBR600F3
96 Yamaha YZF600R
01 Kawasaki Ninja 250ex
02 Suzuki Fiddy

Help painting wheels

Hey all, I figured i may get a response on this here since i know alot of guys on here do paint work and whatnot. I got a set of wheels(car wheels) i want to strip down and paint, would prefer to sandblast them if anyone has one available that wouldnt mind assisting me. but can use aircraft stripper if needed, was just going to use rattle can gloss black and make them somewhat pretty on a budget ya know.

WOuldnt mind getting some help on this job, I got the paint and everything just i kinda suck at paint work. can supply some brew for the afternoon if anyone wants to help. I am off all day tommorow and next saturday if anyone can help.

or anyone know a shop that can sandblast my wheels that wont charge a arm and a leg, I dont want to spend anymore then like $75ish on doing the whole set.

LMK guys much appreciated
Da9tegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Painting Wheels Jon C. Performance and Modifications 7 09-08-2011 11:06 PM
Painting wheels? the head General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 05-24-2010 09:04 PM
painting wheels loosenoose General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 09-15-2009 01:14 AM
Kawasaki wheels compatible w/ Suzuki wheels? SLOWPOKE General Discussion (Moto Related) 5 07-14-2008 03:39 PM
Painting wheels 90 5.0 How To's and Q & A's 19 11-07-2007 09:55 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-07-2009, 11:46 PM   #2
loosenoose
veteran novice

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

coming from a guy who has rattle canned several car things, it looks better stock, unless you pay to have someone do it right.
wheels take a lot of abuse. front wheels get a ton of brake dust and are subjected to greater temps. they need to be powdercoated or left the f**k alone
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2009, 11:50 PM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Powdercoat FTW. Hit up "ScooterTrash" in PM or check his sponsor's forum here for "Your Powder Coating Connection".

Don't paint them, you'll only end up disappointed.
Old 02-07-2009, 11:51 PM   #4
Da9tegra

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
97 Honda CBR600F3
96 Yamaha YZF600R
01 Kawasaki Ninja 250ex
02 Suzuki Fiddy

i just picked them up dirt cheap and they have gold paint on them with red and green overspray on them They are in dire need of some weekend garage TLC.

I by no means want them to be perfect looking and dont mind if the paint chips just want to make them look a bit better. I already got most of the 3 layers of paint off 2 of them and am going to get more stripper tomorrow.

If i wanted to pay what shops want to repaint/ powdercoat wheels i would have just bought a set of brand new ones. I only paid $75 for the wheels and would love to spend right at $100 total just to make them look alright, i already know most shops will charge $100 or a little more to refinish each car wheels, these 15" wheels are only like $95 each new, so i may as well buy brand new ones. but just want a DIY weekend project with a little guidance from someone more experienced in painting

Last edited by Da9tegra; 02-07-2009 at 11:54 PM.
Da9tegra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:07 AM   #5
Jofuzzy
rat fink king

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
virago xv700

I used to paint for a living. your best bet would be that stripper until you get to the factory powder coat. then you're best bet would be to sand it down with 320 grit and use a sealer before applying color
Jofuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 12:44 AM   #6
dglove600

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 1-3 months

Bike(s):
still looking

i went to school for auto paint and if your going to seal you need to lay down atlest one coat of primer filler the cover the sand scratches and then sand that with 400 then seal to paint
dglove600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 01:34 AM   #7
klassik

Bike(s):
rnz450

paint stripper will take off powder coat. after a while. you gotta scrub.
Old 02-08-2009, 01:34 AM   #8
loosenoose
veteran novice

Experience: 7 years

Bike(s):
07 sv650!

Member Garage

aircraft stripper and whatever finish grit sandpaper you have lying around should do a good job of removing the old paint.
but for real though dude, if you want these wheels to look nice at all, i highly recommend powdercoating. i know i have wasted money on repainting my bike (when it was just rattle canned) and the miata i used to have>

here's a thought for a unique finish on some cheapass wheels. bedliner!
do it
loosenoose is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement