MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Information > Events, Meets and Rides
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Closed Thread
Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2009, 10:18 AM   #121
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by didimao0072000 View Post
Why all the insecurities with the professional photographers? I think what it boils down to is that professional photographers are one of the most overrated and overpaid professions. They know it and with the influx of cheap dslrs, people are realizing it too. With a decent slr and photoshop, a amateur can work miracles. I guess the “true” professionals are out there promoting and maintaining their façade while the insecure ones are on here bashing parvion.
Can you elaborate on that a little more why you think that is?

Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
PP1 tonight El_Diablo Events, Meets and Rides 61 12-22-2008 11:33 PM
PP1 Tonight? K. Oliveira Events, Meets and Rides 3 09-10-2008 05:31 PM
TONIGHT! PP1 AznGoneNuts Events, Meets and Rides 15 03-31-2007 01:35 AM
pp1 tonight redd4211 Events, Meets and Rides 1 10-12-2005 06:44 PM
Advertisement
Old 02-28-2009, 10:19 AM   #122
Azylum
The Chosen One

Feedback Rating: (23)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
I use a Walgreens instathrowaway camera. If you don't believe me ask the Sooz or DaveC they both have seen me with it at the track . I love my $10 Holga plastic lense camera . And sometimes I use something more expensive.

Btw. it's not about snapping at people for whatever. I just don't like it when somebody acts like he's the biggest and coolest dude on a forum and then doesn't back it up. When I see comments like "I get paid top dollar by corporations" and "$500 per hour" then that's just bogus.

So again, if anybody claims he's a superduper photographer, post your websites so that everybody can see your work. That's all.

Mike

no i see what youre saying. i just thought you were snapping at the non-photographic folks that were just giving compliments and displaying interest.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:27 AM   #123
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Feedback Rating: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by didimao0072000 View Post
Why all the insecurities with the professional photographers? I think what it boils down to is that professional photographers are one of the most overrated and overpaid professions. They know it and with the influx of cheap dslrs, people are realizing it too. With a decent slr and photoshop, a amateur can work miracles. I guess the “true” professionals are out there promoting and maintaining their façade while the insecure ones are on here bashing parvion.
+1 these guys can't handle the heat they need to get out the kitchen. Most photography is just using proper technique to snap a 100 shots and hope one sticks.

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Whenever I take pictures people like them. Maybe they are just doing it to get on my good side. They really got nothing to gain by doing so but who knows some people are weird like that. Maybe they are just trying to lick my cornhole.

The new guy Mike or whatever that just came in on the conversation acting like he is a super photographer and i'm not, at least has some better pictures than the Todd guy with 1 post. Of course that is my opinion and open to interpretation just like they think I suck from a few shots I took at PP1 for free of peoples bikes. Its obvious what Mike's technique is though He just underexposes every shot and then flashes the out of them with a 580EX II. After that he goes into lightroom and adds a vignette around the edges of the picture. Does that make him a photographer? I think so but others might beg to differ. I'm sure someone paid him for his pictures along the way and now he is a professional.

I am on here to meet some new friends to ride bikes with so i'm not going to go plastering my website all over the place. I would say the vast majority of the bikers have no use for my work and would not be willing to pay my usual rates. Me and the photographers on here do different types of photography. I do technical pictures for large corporations. My work is steady and very lucrative. My clients desire a high level of specificity in the work and there is not much artistic interpretations. The other guy Todd seems to do journalistic work which is pretty much just walking around snapping pictures in available light. Its lowly paid newspapers are all going out of business and people steal pictures nowadays or goto stock photography sites and buy them for pennies on the dollar. Mike on the other hand looks like he is doing a lot of TFCD shots (free shots for using people's time for them modeling for you) which are not bad shots by any means but nothing special. He thinks that because he makes liberal use of the flash, takes pictures from weird angles and asks his models not to look directly into the camera that he is a bonafide photographer. I think he is a photographer. I think anyone who is willing to take the time to learn how to properly use the techniques and then click away pictures is one. I'm not a snob and i'm always willing to teach people what I know.

In my free time I will help out people on here with quick snapshots of their bike using my lens. If youre jealous of that or think thats not photography lick my ball sack but I insist you start at the taint if youre going to do it.

Oh yeah and just to annoy the real photographers in here. Here is more of my crappy pictures. This guy loved the picture he paid me for but i'm sure Mike and Todd will hate it.

2053438325 cb10eeca53 o
Old 02-28-2009, 10:34 AM   #124
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

If you have not been to Mike the professional photographer's website i'll save you the time. This is his best picture on there. Wow that really is nice. What camera did you use for that? Can you explain how you setup this shot? The timing and framing of the shot is exquisite. Now YOU i'll take basic classes from not Todd. I didnt realize the talent oozing out of you. I bet you get a lot of work from people wanting a picture of their wet driveway or the city of Houston wanting pictures of their construction signs. Way nice business model there
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture-1.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	86.5 KB
ID:	20005  
Old 02-28-2009, 10:37 AM   #125
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParAvion View Post
If you have not been to Mike the professional photographer's website i'll save you the time. This is his best picture on there. Wow that really is nice. What camera did you use for that? Can you explain how you setup this shot? The timing and framing of the shot is exquisite. Now YOU i'll take basic classes from not Todd. I didnt realize the talent oozing out of you. I bet you get a lot of work from people wanting a picture of their wet driveway or the city of Houston wanting pictures of their construction signs. Way nice business model there
ok im gonna call bs on that one. now youre just being a jealous and naive douche bag thats getting butthurt because its starting to sink in that there are better photographers out there. anyone can click on his link and see that you are completely full of . your pics arent bad, but definitely not up to his par.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:38 AM   #126
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by Azylum View Post
ok im gonna call bs on that one. now youre just being a jealous and naive douche bag thats getting butthurt because its starting to sink in that there are better photographers out there. anyone can click on his link and see that you are completely full of . your pics arent bad, but definitely not up to his par.
My argument here was never who is a better photographer But their argument is I suck and am not a photographer. My point with that post is they are taking a few pictures of mine and acting like thats all I can do. So i took a pointless picture of his and said thats what he is all about. Its sarcasm. Thats like walking out and watching Michael Jordan in practice blindfolded miss a couple of shots and get on his for not being a basketball player. What part of I snap pictures of peoples bikes for them as goodwill do these "pros" not understand. I guess being pro means you don't do charity work.

And if they want to do a shootoff i'm down. Why do they keep avoiding the shootoff? Pick any situation and photography style and we can do it. Azylum can judge.

Last edited by ParAvion; 02-28-2009 at 10:42 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #127
Azylum
The Chosen One

whats funny about paravian is he'll go and find the worst (and i use that term loosely because none of the pics are bad) possible pics on their sites and say its the best one they have. while everyone else lets their pics speak for themselves. none of them have to prove themselves to the community, but paravian sure feels he needs to.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #128
Azylum
The Chosen One

Quote:
My argument here was never who is a better photographer But their argument is I suck and am not a photographer. My point with that post is they are taking a few pictures of mine and acting like thats all I can do. So i took a pointless picture of his and said don't goto his website. Its sarcasm.
its not sarcasm, because you did it to the other fella too.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:45 AM   #129
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Quote:
its not sarcasm, because you did it to the other fella too.
Sarcasm is universal you can do it to anyone. It does not stop being sarcasm if you do it to more than one person... But youre right...I am a recovering photographer. I will enlist myself into the 12 step program. The first step to recovery is not being in denial.

Last edited by ParAvion; 02-28-2009 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:17 AM   #130
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
whats funny about paravian is he'll go and find the worst (and i use that term loosely because none of the pics are bad) possible pics on their sites and say its the best one they have. while everyone else lets their pics speak for themselves. none of them have to prove themselves to the community, but paravian sure feels he needs to.
Thanks for getting it . I hide nothing. Go to my site, look at my . Go to my blog you'll even find videos of how I produce shoots and what happens behind the scenes. I live by my signature and live from photography.
My point stands and Azylum got it. If you're so fantastic just post the link to your website.
And ParAvion, not sure what you mean by me being new, though. But what do I know, I'm just an internet hack

So far there have been two guys here who went at it. And none of them came to the table to put all their stuff out there.

Also, I don't think it ever was who's the better photographer. As it was pointed out before, beauty is the eye of the checkbook holder. Or was it
the beer holder?

Old 02-28-2009, 11:22 AM   #131
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Its ok Mike I think youre a good guy you don't have to gain my approval.
Old 02-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #132
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
Its ok Mike I think youre a good guy you don't have to gain my approval.
Trying to belittle me doesn't help you at this point.

Old 02-28-2009, 11:39 AM   #133
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Thinking you are a nice guy is not belittling you. I already said your pictures are decent. What more do you want from me Mike?
Old 02-28-2009, 11:53 AM   #134
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
Thinking you are a nice guy is not belittling you. I already said your pictures are decent. What more do you want from me Mike?
wow man, you really are a class act. not only do you bash REAL working pros, you are an doing it too. interesting. I'm sure you'll have a very good reputation in texas if you keep that up.

to mike, i don't post my website here because i'm not a paying sponsor. but if you search around for my work, you'll see quite a bit on this forum. once i get my website back up (switched servers, lost a lot of data) i'll PM you the link though.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 02-28-2009, 11:55 AM   #135
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecretAgent View Post
wow man, you really are a class act. not only do you bash REAL working pros, you are an doing it too. interesting. I'm sure you'll have a very good reputation in texas if you keep that up.
You can bash me and I can't bash you? Sounds like a plan hold on let me think about that a second...um no go there buddy. If you bash me i'll bludgeon you.

Quote:

to mike, i don't post my website here because i'm not a paying sponsor. but if you search around for my work, you'll see quite a bit on this forum. once i get my website back up (switched servers, lost a lot of data) i'll PM you the link though.
Thats the excuse I use too secret agent. I have a lot of good work but yeah switched servers and lost it all. Any working professional would have a lot of backups like I do for my clients. forbid I hired you and you lost my pictures. Pretty unprofessional there buddy.

Last edited by ParAvion; 02-28-2009 at 11:58 AM.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #136
SecretAgent
The one and only

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
08 Harley FXDB Street Bob

Send a message via AIM to SecretAgent
Quote:
You can bash me and I can't bash you? Sounds like a plan hold on let me think about that a second...um no go there buddy. If you bash me i'll bludgeon you.

Thats the excuse I use too secret agent. I have a lot of good work but yeah switched servers and lost it all. Any working professional would have a lot of backups like I do for my clients. forbid I hired you and you lost my pictures. Pretty unprofessional there buddy.
where did i say i lost my pictures? i said i lost a lot of data, as in, all the coding for my website. i'm a photographer, not a website builder...thanks though. i also don't sell pics through my website, i prefer to do that with my clients in person, so i can assure they are seeing the pics the way i intended them to be seen. but i'm done with you. you refuse to reason, and according to you, know everything there is to know. have fun doing your part time corporate photography.

just to give you an idea of my back ups though....i have 4 1TB drives working in RAID that have 2 sets of automatic back ups. I have every picture i've ever taken saved on my hard drives with at least 2 backups of everything.
"There are some things nobody needs in this world, and a bright-red, hunch-back, warp-speed 900cc cafe racer is one of them - but I want one anyway, and on some days I actually believe I need one. That is why they are dangerous. "
-Hunter S. Thompson
Old 02-28-2009, 12:11 PM   #137
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Quote:
where did i say i lost my pictures? i said i lost a lot of data, as in, all the coding for my website. i'm a photographer, not a website builder...thanks though. i also don't sell pics through my website, i prefer to do that with my clients in person, so i can assure they are seeing the pics the way i intended them to be seen. but i'm done with you. you refuse to reason, and according to you, know everything there is to know. have fun doing your part time corporate photography.

just to give you an idea of my back ups though....i have 4 1TB drives working in RAID that have 2 sets of automatic back ups. I have every picture i've ever taken saved on my hard drives with at least 2 backups of everything.
Part-time is the smart way to do it for any photographer nowadays unless youre a big time pro booked 25 days a month. Even then haven't you heard most photographers make less money now with guys like me chewing into their business. Even Annie Lebowitz has to take all her photos to the shop (http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2009/...237733350.html)

Either way thats my business model and I like it. I got other things going on in my life other than photography and if this makes me enough money to pay for my hobby and my bikes then i'm happy with that.

In the end though you come of a major A-Hole since you are pinning something on me thats not even true. All I did was offer to take free pictures of peoples bikes and you came off all hostile towards me about my photography skills. But like I told you in an earlier post if you bash me i'll bludgeon you. I'm like that in real life. I never mess with anyone but if they mess with me i'm coming full force.
Old 02-28-2009, 12:46 PM   #138
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
What's btw. not so funny is that he's posting copyrighted material without permission on a public website.

Old 02-28-2009, 12:48 PM   #139
mike

Member Garage

Quote:
+1 these guys can't handle the heat they need to get out the kitchen. Most photography is just using proper technique to snap a 100 shots and hope one sticks.
Says the guy who got his panties all twisted in the very beginning of this thread by posting

Quote:
awesome cool forget I asked offer is off. I'll just be taking pictures of my friends bikes. Way for a couple of morons to really mess stuff up for everyone.

Old 02-28-2009, 01:04 PM   #140
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike View Post
What's btw. not so funny is that he's posting copyrighted material without permission on a public website.
See I forgave your bad attempt at being a photographer but now youre trying to step into a domain you know nothing about and I have to call you out. I can post pictures you are telling people to goto that is on your front page that you use as a form of advertising. Secondly this is a public forum a message board and that I am protected under freedom of speech. This is not a copyright issue and at best you can request the administrator remove your pictures and sue HIM if he refuses but even then thats a long shot and would be likely thrown out of court by the judge.

If you are convinced its a copyright issue I suggest you file a motion in court and I can meet you somewhere in a public place and you can give me a subpoena to appear in court.
Closed Thread

Advertisement