Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-16-2006, 07:01 PM   #1
RedRider
Ride Red...please

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
1997 CBR 600

New Bike

Okay so I am checking out a bike on H-I a 1999 Kawa zx6. Now I am looking for something to play with/stunt on. Now I don't know if this would work. The reason I didn't post this in the stunter section is that I am going to keep it street legal and before I buy it I noticed it has 31k miles on it. Now I have read the average miles per year for moto rider is roughly 2500-3000 a year. This is pushing 5200 which begs the question is it gonna die on me soon so that I am :BangHead: ? Or is it that it is well maintained and will keep running strong....or strong until Prodigy gets his hands near it. Also how much does it cost to get a mechanic to get an "okay-to-buy" look at a bike before purchasing? Thanks MHers. Side note it was good to meet a lot of you last week at ASI. I've known Joe for a long time and Dennis even longer but haven't had a bike so missed out on meeting the rest of ya. Hope to be on 2 wheels soon. Don't flame for the 600cc either I did take MSF, I did ride an 80cc scooter, then I did steal Joe's 500 and was riding that. I will take it easy and be parking lot practicing for a good while.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sunday 4/01 Bike ride to Deer Park's Bike Show, then Galveston! GixxerLizzy Events, Meets and Rides 7 04-08-2012 07:38 PM
Friday night group ride HOOTErS ;)!! Discuss bike possible bike club skullrider Events, Meets and Rides 7 03-23-2012 06:27 PM
Cycle Gear south 9/1 6-9p bike night/bike wash Ilean Events, Meets and Rides 11 09-01-2011 06:49 PM
Friend wanting a liter bike for first street bike *long convo inside* AWD General Discussion (Moto Related) 108 08-08-2006 12:08 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-16-2006, 07:09 PM   #2
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

not a good bike to stunt since its carbed. a great bike for cruising and hitting the curves but maybe you should go for a FI bike instead.
Old 01-16-2006, 07:15 PM   #3
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Arturo might be able to back me up on this because of his Kawi Forum experience, but the ZX6's tend to start eating rod bearings after a bunch of miles. Typically it's due to the loss of oil pressure. When you stunt a bike the oil is moved away from the pickup so unless you overfill it it can cavitate, which will bring about the failure faster.
As far as checking it out, if you want just a visual inspection and a test ride I'll do it for free if you bring it by.

Patrick

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 09:41 PM   #4
Prodigy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
Honda 1000rr
Kawasaki ZX6r
Honda CBR F4i
Suzuki Gsxr750
T-Rex

Member Garage

Ive Stunted a bike just like that for a While "Vu's" by the time you get to the point where you would be held back by the lack of fuel injection youll be ready for a different bike. Plus you can always buy an extended oil pick-up to help with the oil starvation. Frames tend to crack kinda easy on em tho......Ps i have a mint 01 streetfightered F4i for sale never been down or dropped includes "Safety Bumper" on the rear has never been wheelied... I promise :icon_bigg
Prodigy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 10:58 PM   #5
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Uh-huh..... :laughing6

Patrick

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 11:19 PM   #6
arturo3rd
OG Sheriff/ Boss

Bike(s):
2015 HD Forty Eight

like pat said you may loose oil pressure but what happens most of the time is the lack of fuel. since is carbed the engine starves of fuel once you hit the BP and ride them out.

they make oil pickups for some Hondas and ive heard they make some for the 00-02 zx6r which is the J model, FYI.

as far as the frames, they hold up ok except in AZNSTUNNA's case cuz he's a "healthy" dude ridng spreaders for miles, lol

Advertisement