MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2009, 01:31 PM   #1
GraemePC

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Member Garage

Is this a stator or battery problem?

I have a 98 Honda f3 that I bought in December. I replaced the battery right after I bought it. I never had a problem with it until today.

I went outside and started it up it with no choke and it started to run but it wasn't warmed up enough and it died after about 10 seconds. So I flip the choke on and try to start it but it is having a hard time turning over and it wont start. I push start it and it fires up right away and off I go.

2 miles down the road it dies while I am going about 40 mph. I downshift and as I let out the clutch it fires up again, only to die another 200 yards down the road, this time for good. Now it wont even turn over and the headlights do not light up, but the lights on the dash still light up.

Any ideas? The battery is less than 2 months old and I never have the lights on unless the bike is running, so I don't see how it could be the battery.
GraemePC is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Battery/electrical problem :/? HondaCBR General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 05-03-2011 11:55 PM
Quick question: battery dead / stator Father of Two How To's and Q & A's 19 07-25-2010 03:19 AM
Gsxr600 problems!!?(STATOR VS BATTERY) prettyboy69 How To's and Q & A's 17 05-11-2010 08:37 PM
Stator and R/R problem -- TRIUMPH TT600 reubtt600 Performance and Modifications 1 04-16-2009 08:35 PM
alternator or stator problem? gixxa 123 How To's and Q & A's 16 10-02-2007 12:21 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-03-2009, 02:01 PM   #2
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Feedback Rating: (14)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Sounds like a stator or rectifyer problem.
tiatool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 02:09 PM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Test the battery first, then check all your connections around the battery and charging system.

Start there. Then, after you determine if the battery is still good/ full of fluid, and all the connections are tight, make sure it's fully charged (you should use a battery tender when the bike is not being used). If you get it started again, test the output from the charging system at the battery.

You should reach somewhere between 12 and 14 volts while the bike is running when you check at the battery. If you're getting more than 14 or less than 12, you probably have a charging system issue which could be regulator/ rectifier, or alternator.
Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 PM   #4
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

had a similar problem when working on my bike recently..........try putting gas in it
Old 02-03-2009, 03:12 PM   #5
GraemePC

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Member Garage

Thanks for the info. I'll head to Walmart later tonight and pick up a voltmeter and battery tender. I never bought a tender before because I ride at least 6 days a week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyneLawson View Post
had a similar problem when working on my bike recently..........try putting gas in it
This was the second thing I checked after the kill switch and believe me it was full to the brim. I felt every ounce of that fuel while pushing the bike 2 miles back to my house.
Old 02-03-2009, 04:08 PM   #6
LunchBox
Beautiful Man Club VP

Bike(s):
'13 Victory Cross Country (Cory Ness Edition)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraemePC View Post
This was the second thing I checked after the kill switch and believe me it was full to the brim. I felt every ounce of that fuel while pushing the bike 2 miles back to my house.
Yeah, spent a couple hours trying to get my bike to turn over. Had about a fifth of a tank but she wouldn't stay running. I had removed the tank prior to starting it, so I guess it just didn't have enough fuel to pull through all the lines and everything. Several of us kept looking in the gas tank to see "plenty" of gas, but once I added about 2 gallons to the tank, she fired right up.

That helped for a week.........now I am having a similar problem to you with electrical system. New-ish battery (6 months old at most). Was out riding the other day. Was on the way home. Stopped about 5 houses shy of my place and turned off bike to talk to neighbor. Got done talking, went to turn my key, no headlights..........Gggggrrrrrr So I put it on the tender and juiced the battery back up. Took it out the next day and she started fine. Put gas in the tank, took 10 minute ride and headed back to the house for a quick stop. Try to start bike about 15 minutes later and nothing........no headlights, no gauges, no start...........

Thinking it might be rectifier, if not then must be stator
Old 02-03-2009, 04:12 PM   #7
MadseasoN

The original voltage regulators on the F3 were problematic. I had two F3's and I had to replace the VR's on both of them. I'd suggest checking that first.

If you replace it, make sure you buy one with cooling fins. They last longer.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NEW-H...Q5fAccessories
MadseasoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 04:31 PM   #8
CaligoneTx
Forest Gnome Tour Guide

Bike(s):
Triumph 675r
Ducati 748
Hyosungs (250r + 650r)
Honda 900rr
Suzuki Busa1300r (+2 bikes)

Send a message via AIM to CaligoneTx Send a message via Yahoo to CaligoneTx
are the lights going dim as you're riding?

make sure its a power problem; check charging voltage while its idling. If it goes down while idling until the bike dies, its not charging. If the battery voltage jumps up when the bike dies, thebattery is still good and actually holds more static voltage then the charging voltage system.

To check the rectifier... check power/ground at the stator and a/c voltage of the three wires startor.

battery terminals can be checked for voltage drop w one pin on the bolt, the other on the end of the cable near the insulation.
Old 02-03-2009, 10:25 PM   #9
smokin97

Member Garage

agreen with MadseasoN replaced a few myself
Old 02-03-2009, 10:32 PM   #10
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Also check the cooling fan. The F3's had a problem with them shorting out the system. I had to install a manual switch for mine (about 10yrs ago)
Old 02-04-2009, 02:01 PM   #11
GraemePC

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Member Garage

I bought a battery tender and voltmeter last night. I charged the battery overnight and put in the bike this morning and it fired right up.

I tested the voltage at the battery and it is glued to 12v whether at idle or full throttle. However, I ran every single test I could find on the internet and it passed all of them. The three yellow wires are all at 70 volts, 1.5 ohms, and there is no connection to the ground. I can't figure it out, so I am just going to ride the bike around today(staying close to home) and see if I can't replicate the problem again.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:01 PM   #12
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

I hope Gaeme isn't on the side of the road somewhere with a dead battery right now.
Old 02-04-2009, 04:07 PM   #13
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:00 AM   #14
GraemePC

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Member Garage

It's definitely something with the charging system. I got to push it home again tonight. I got 20 miles on fully charged battery until it died while I was sitting in traffic.

How can I tell if the problem is the regulator/rectifier? It physically looks fine with no burn or melt marks on it, but how would I test it to see? I have a voltmeter.

It seems like the stator passed all the tests I could find just fine, and the rectifier is a lot cheaper and easier to replace, so I would like to start there
Old 02-06-2009, 01:22 AM   #15
GraemePC

Bike(s):
2003 Honda RC51

Member Garage

Scratch all that. I just reread this thread and i'm pretty certain its the regulator. I'll order a new one tomorrow and keep you posted.
Old 02-06-2009, 01:49 AM   #16
tiatool
Pro Racer Mode Enabled

Bike(s):
08 Raven
05 Vstar 1100

Electrical Problems SUCK!! GL.

Sorry you had to push it home. (20 miles) EEEEEKKK!!
Old 02-06-2009, 11:08 PM   #17
MadMax143

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

Sorry this is the first time I read this thread.

I'd say the voltage regulator (as mentioned previously). Look at the white/clear connector...see if it's turning brown from heat. If it is...look at those wires closely. They will become brittle and may electrically open/break.

The voltage regulator will do 1 of 2 things...either short and with the bike running you will see like 17 volts at the battery causing it to overcharge and burn out all the water...or it'll open and not allow the charging current to reach the battery at all which based on what you said about holding 12v is what it sound like to me.

Just my $.02.
MadMax143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:14 PM   #18
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax143 View Post
Sorry this is the first time I read this thread.

I'd say the voltage regulator (as mentioned previously). Look at the white/clear connector...see if it's turning brown from heat. If it is...look at those wires closely. They will become brittle and may electrically open/break.

The voltage regulator will do 1 of 2 things...either short and with the bike running you will see like 17 volts at the battery causing it to overcharge and burn out all the water...or it'll open and not allow the charging current to reach the battery at all which based on what you said about holding 12v is what it sound like to me.

Just my $.02.
My VFR had the same issues. It's a Honda thing I guess.

+1 on the R/R, if you have 12v no matter if it's running or not, then it's just about a given that it's that or the charging system (stator/ rotor).
Old 02-06-2009, 11:19 PM   #19
MadMax143

Bike(s):
A bunch of F2/F3s.

LOL...I should've KNOWN you'd be standing over my shoulder Tom!!!

I haven't come across any of the stator problems...just the regulators...and yeah...seems to be a Honda deal.
MadMax143 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 11:23 PM   #20
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMax143 View Post
LOL...I should've KNOWN you'd be standing over my shoulder Tom!!!

I haven't come across any of the stator problems...just the regulators...and yeah...seems to be a Honda deal.
The VFR did the exact same thing as you described, the white wire turns brown, R/R takes a

Advertisement