MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 04:35 PM   #1
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

MotoGP Separate Satellite Championship

Didn't find this posted, but sorry if it's a repost. Found this really interesting...

http://www.motogpmatters.com/

A lack of oversight has been blamed by many for the outbreak of the financial crisis, and in response, there has been a deafening clamor for a vast tightening of the rules. As a major victim of the credit crunch, MotoGP has joined in, with an almost unceasing stream of proposals for new rules all aimed at cutting costs and saving the sport.

Along with the more straightforward cost-cutting measures reported yesterday, Dorna CEO Carmelo Ezpeleta has also put forward a series of proposals aimed at assisting the satellite teams to attract both sponsors and talent. According to GPOne.com, he presented these proposals to the managers of the satellite teams (all except for the Nieto brothers, who run Sete Gibernau's team) in Bologna on Tuesday.

The most significant change proposed is the institution of a separate championship for the satellite teams. The championship would have an official status, with its own podium ceremony at every race and a separate team championship as well. The winner of the title would be able to call himself World Champion. The aim is to give the satellite teams more exposure, as under the current rules, their chances at a podium - let alone a championship - are very slim indeed. By setting up a separate championship and a separate podium ceremony, Ezpeleta hopes to make satellite teams more attractive for potential sponsors.

If you go to the link, check out the article on Hopkins possible riding for Honda in WSBK!

There is also some news on the MotoGP rule changes that are quite interesting.
Old 02-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #2
bigpokey
The Slow Guy

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):
2001 R6 Sold

Now this is going to be interesting......
Old 02-01-2009, 04:59 PM   #3
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

Trackdays: 10+

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
very interesting.
Might not be a bad idea.
Thanks for sharing.
Scorpio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:41 PM   #4
Derek Steptoe
aka MULATTO

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
:-(

Send a message via AIM to Derek Steptoe
Curious to see what becomes of this and the specifics of who would be on track at the same time. If MOTOGP class was only real factory teams, then the race would only have 8 riders on the grid. How does that add to excitement for the fans? On the other hand, if a fans choice rider is on a satellite team it would allow that fan a better chance to see that rider win a race. We'll see.

Maybe see a 2 wave start with MOTOGP and Satellite class on track at same time? Time will tell what happens with all of this....if anything.
Derek Steptoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 07:43 PM   #5
cashtown
Lawyers Guns and Money

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'05 Hayabusa '98 ZX-6E

Sounds like all bikes would run the same race at the same time, with the satellite teams winning pts, races, championship separately - in the same race.

Fat Freddy says, "Busas are for posing!"
cashtown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2009, 09:14 PM   #6
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
Sounds like all bikes would run the same race at the same time, with the satellite teams winning pts, races, championship separately - in the same race.
That's what I figured would occur if this goes through....
Old 02-02-2009, 08:40 PM   #7
Buck Beasley
Older,Wiser,Faster

'05 Suzuki SV 650,

'04 Vespa 150

Member Garage

Send a message via Yahoo to Buck Beasley
Sounds like a good way to really screw the series up. With only Ducati, Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki factory teams that means only eight riders battling for world championship,(well not realy the Suzuki guys, so six) The same number going for "satellite world champion". Que the gayness, probably stemed from Sete the crybaby wanting a better shot and since he will never beat Rossi this is his chance.
Looks like they want to hand WSBK the whole shootin' match, or become another WSBK. I no likey.........
CMRA expert #413
Get off the keyboard and on your bike for a change...
Buck Beasley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 09:41 AM   #8
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Beasley View Post
Sounds like a good way to really screw the series up. With only Ducati, Yamaha, Honda, and Suzuki factory teams that means only eight riders battling for world championship,(well not realy the Suzuki guys, so six) The same number going for "satellite world champion". Que the gayness, probably stemed from Sete the crybaby wanting a better shot and since he will never beat Rossi this is his chance.
Looks like they want to hand WSBK the whole shootin' match, or become another WSBK. I no likey.........
, I'm glad someone else said it. Exactly what I was thinking.

I hope this doesn't go through
Old 02-03-2009, 10:16 AM   #9
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Bike(s):
'prila

Quote:
Originally Posted by cashtown View Post
this is what happens in the UK in superbikes and supersport.
there is a so called privateers championship in amongst the "factory" competitors.
we even have a seperate rostrum following the "main event" top three.

IT DOESN'T WORK
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 10:19 AM   #10
alrova
- LSTD - From 0 to Snail

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
09 ZX-6R

Send a message via MSN to alrova Send a message via Yahoo to alrova
Quote:
+2
Old 02-03-2009, 11:05 AM   #11
RoadracerNC
Former Dragon Slayer

Experience: 8 years

Send a message via AIM to RoadracerNC
Good intentions. Bad idea.

Watching satelite guys running down factory bikes is half the fun. Right?

Not good for the series, or even racing as a whole. I doubt this will go through. There have been too many changes already. Now they're inching really close to a lot of fans off.

It won't happen. Rossi won't allow it.
Old 02-03-2009, 09:30 PM   #12
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Well put.

I wonder if this did go through, and a satellite rider was able to podium with the factory teams, if he would get two trophies? wonder how it works
Old 02-03-2009, 11:46 PM   #13
SVmike
nuthin'

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
i'm not sure i'd bother to watch MotoGP if they implemented such a plan. I'd rather see them even up the playing field amongst the teams.

Advertisement