MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

FREE MH Decals by MAIL!

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2009, 01:07 PM   #1
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

Tuono owners...

can I please have your opinions, good and bad about your experiences? I have always wanted one, but I need to get some background info. please share.

Fastline motorcycle school grid marshal.
SBN. We're coming for your wife and daughters.
Sifu-TZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
awesome Tuono review RACER X General Discussion (Moto Related) 9 01-27-2015 12:47 PM
Tuono 1000R pinball General Discussion (Moto Related) 41 06-17-2014 11:39 PM
Input from Tuono V4/ RSV4R Owners The Habernatho General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 11-16-2013 01:22 AM
TUONO Exhaust Test Neon Samurai General Discussion (Moto Related) 1 09-12-2013 08:41 AM
Fz6R Owners & Ninja 650 Owners specterunseen General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 12-22-2008 11:32 AM
Advertisement
Old 02-02-2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Daily Triumph
Ugh gtfo :-/

Bike(s):
2003 Aprilia Mille 1000 (Daily )
2002 Triumph TT600 sold
1992 Honda CBR F2 sold

I own an rsv ive ridden for about 700 miles or so. better then nothing I guess and they are basically the same bike if you want any thoughts
one can only be hypocritcal with regard to ones' OWN statements and opinions, and not those of the others around. great, you can't sweep and you don't own a dictionary. I hope you're better with an iron and starch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post
apparently im a offender in Florida
Daily Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:27 PM   #3
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daily Triumph View Post
I own an rsv ive ridden for about 700 miles or so. better then nothing I guess and they are basically the same bike if you want any thoughts
you right I want your thoughts! and I wanna hear about your bike too.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:30 PM   #4
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Pros: they look the biz, great torque everywhere, comfortable ride, handling is ridiculous, less headshake WITHOUT a damper than any bike WITH a damper, cheap basic maintenance parts

Cons: they eat batteries (tender is a MUST), if you have to run the starter for a long time (like because the battery is weak) you run the risk of breaking the sprag cluch which'll run you $1k+ to fix, expensive crash-repair parts.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

WOW, that's good info on the battery thing. do you have to leave the tender on all the time, or just once a week? I don't mind having a spare battery around, or throwing the teneder on now and them. keep the good info coming.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:46 PM   #6
DvlRacer
cerca trova

Feedback Rating: (52)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post
WOW, that's good info on the battery thing. do you have to leave the tender on all the time, or just once a week? I don't mind having a spare battery around, or throwing the teneder on now and them. keep the good info coming.
Generally you just run a couple plugs from your battery terminals to under the seat where they are accessible without removing any parts. Have the tender set up in the garage where you park the bike, when you come back from riding plug it in(takes 2 seconds). Get a decent tender that will "float" once it reaches the regular charge.
"And so, this tiny metal deathtrap becomes known as the ultimate form of freedom. Like a steampunk cyborg, man and machine fuse to make a symbol of what you can become when style and speed matter more than safety and efficiency. Is it any wonder that some people just get mad every time they see a motorcycle go by? Because it challenges everything they have, while proving to them that they donít have enough."
DvlRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #7
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 12:47 PM   #8
Sifu-TZ
#1 Satans' Buttnuggets

Bike(s):
Husky 450SMR motard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DvlRacer View Post
Generally you just run a couple plugs from your battery terminals to under the seat where they are accessible without removing any parts. Have the tender set up in the garage where you park the bike, when you come back from riding plug it in(takes 2 seconds). Get a decent tender that will "float" once it reaches the regular charge.
I need to see if my tender "floats". my nuts float. but they were made by a different manufacturer.

Old 02-02-2009, 12:52 PM   #9
bigzona
Lean Machine

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
07 Aprilia RSVR Factory

First off, go to apriliaforum.com and become a member. Then review the following:

http://www.apriliaforum.com/forums/s...no+Maintenance

That should keep you busy for a while.....
Old 02-02-2009, 01:06 PM   #10
Daily Triumph
Ugh gtfo :-/

Bike(s):
2003 Aprilia Mille 1000 (Daily )
2002 Triumph TT600 sold
1992 Honda CBR F2 sold

yeah, crash the bike and you better hope insurance will pay for it b/c repair parts will eat you alive I got lucky, reeal lucky.

Sprag clutches are probably the biggest design flaw I can see on the bike as Ive talked with several Aprilia owners and AF1 racing confirmed they did not do their homework there. You basically have to drop the engine to replace it is what Im told.

Bike in general is great and you dont see that many of them even though out of all the Italian bikes Aprilia is better known for their reliability then the other guys are. Just baby and maintain everything and youll be fine.
one can only be hypocritcal with regard to ones' OWN statements and opinions, and not those of the others around. great, you can't sweep and you don't own a dictionary. I hope you're better with an iron and starch.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilmckee View Post
apparently im a offender in Florida
Daily Triumph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 04:27 PM   #11
Chubby Racer
The Confusion

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 8 years

Bike(s):
'07 R6
'02 KLX110(tarded)

Send a message via ICQ to Chubby Racer Send a message via AIM to Chubby Racer Send a message via MSN to Chubby Racer Send a message via Yahoo to Chubby Racer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sifu-TZ View Post

I had a tender that floated so I left it on all the time. Not sure if that helps at all. It was a pretty simple deal to plug mine in: it was just 2 leads under the seat cowl so I just did it all the time. 3 weeks without a tender (and no riding) and I'd have to jump the bike.
A motorcycle is a joy machine. It's a machine of wonders, a metal bird, a motorized prosthetic. It's light and dark and shiny and dirty and warm and cold lapping over each other; it's a conduit of grace, it's a catalyst for bonding the gritty and the holy.

CMRA #302
Chubby Racer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2009, 06:50 AM   #12
Phydeaux
Flat Black > Rash

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
'01 F4i

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Phydeaux
I've got an RSV as well. Ridden about 10k last year with very very minimal problems. Bike is just over 18k and had its first real hard part failure.

Looking into doing the sprag this weekend (most likely next) on mine. It doesn't look to be too bad of a job actually. Biggest is going to be removing the flywheel. As far as sprag repair parts go, I'm still under $300 for the whole job. After some research, a sprag clutch for a BMW F650 is the exact same part for a fraction of the cost, just install it backward or rebuild it to lock the right direction.

A quick wiring mod will take care of the charging/eating battery problem. Solder in a couple of wires and it will charge at 14v all day, all RPMs.

A simple wire snip will unlock a hidden stage 2 fuel map in the stock PCM. (Euro models only I think)

Not a bad scooter for the price. I paid just over 5k for mine ('02 RSVR w/under 10k on the clock)

As far as fun to ride, the Rotax 990 is one of the strongest motors I've ever seen. This thing pulls like nobody's business. Handling is a breeze. I have full Ohlins front and rear on mine (eat my shorts Spence...... j/k buddy) and it's like riding a marshmallow down the road. Braking is superb with twin Brembo two piston calipers up front and Brembo rears as well. Only braking issue I have a gripe about is the rotors. They decided to make the rotors float instead of the calipers and I am constantly cleaning rotor "buttons" to keep brake pulse gremlins away.

Hope this helps, I say gofer it!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 07:38 AM   #13
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
we can discuss this one over lunch on friday. i just so happen to be friends with the owners of AF1 (the #1 Aprilia dealer in the US) who also run the aprilia forum that bigzona posted about earlier. hit me up sifu !
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement