MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2009, 12:28 AM   #1
JSki

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Unhappy I think it's time to take a break...

Well,
after a lot of thought and a couple weeks of not riding I have decided to sell my bike. Last year I rode all winter long and rode half the time when it rained and it was no big deal, but these last few months I have found myself riding less and less. Instead of finding excuses to go out and ride, I seem to be trying to find excuses not to ride. It seems that not riding has given me more time with my family because my wife and daughters have been driving me to and from work and I know it puts my family at ease (especially my wife) knowing they don't have to worry if I am going to make it home ok. As much as I love riding, it seems that after assessing my priorities I have to let go of it for at least a few months.

The thing that kills me the most, though, is that I was so anxious and excited to make it to 20,000 miles mostly for the ability to say "I am 22 years old, have had a sport bike for a little more than a year, and have ridden 20,000 miles on it in that short amount of time with no wrecks and no tickets." Once I hit that 20k milestone a little more than a month ago I have found myself pushing away from it because reality all of a sudden set in and I find myself thinking that I am one lucky SOB to have ridden 20k in Houston traffic with out laying it down and leaving my daughters with out a father and making my wife a widow. Maybe you veterans with more experience can give me some insight to these feelings if you've had them (which I know we all do go through this at some point), but either way I think I need to hang up my helmet for a little while until I can get my confidence back. Taking the MSF and also having a tight knit community here has given me the confidence, skills, and support to go as long as I have and I am truly thankful for all you guys and what you all do for your fellow riders.

Please chime in and let me know what you think and tell me if I am being stupid. , someone might make me feel good enough to change my mind, but I know all of you out there who ride can sympathize with what I am going through.

Soon to be up for sale: a 2006 Suzuki SV650 (nekkid) with 20, on the odometer, gsxr-750 shock conversion, new battery w/ lifetime warranty, and all maintenance records.
Frank Thomas leather suit (44 I think), Powertrip leather jacket in excellent condition, Motoboss mesh jacket, and some other miscellaneous things.

-Jonathan
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
ive been studying all day, time for play time.... scrapp Off Topic 29 04-12-2016 10:00 AM
kill time during you lunch break EpikMuffin General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 11-29-2012 03:36 PM
A little night time help for those with babies or who have a hard time sleeping. Street Ninja Health and Fitness 11 08-26-2010 06:34 PM
Track Leather Break in time flip326 Taking it to the Track 15 04-05-2009 11:18 PM
break in time & miles oldman650r General Discussion (Moto Related) 36 06-19-2008 02:12 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-31-2009, 12:36 AM   #2
Longstroke
"Skeeza-Pleeza"

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
'05 R6 - SOLD

Member Garage

Send a message via MSN to Longstroke
wow, ... nice read.

Bikes come and go... the family is forever. Nothing wrong with with caring about your family bro!

Prorities......i think you have them lined up pretty well.

You can always come back, the bikes and the community will still be here when your ready again

Good Luck.....

- Sorry babe, Pimps don't fall in love!
Longstroke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:10 AM   #3
jfly
RIP Coach Dave

Experience: 1 year

Bike(s):
cbr 600 F3 LOR exhaust

Member Garage

youll regret it sooner or later but family is important
Actual Riding Experience 10+ years
Quote:
I'll say this, he did a pretty decent job hanging with 3 liter bikes on 45 on his F3!!
jfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:18 AM   #4
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 01:35 AM   #5
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longstroke View Post
wow, ... nice read.

Bikes come and go... the family is forever. Nothing wrong with with caring about your family bro!

Prorities......i think you have them lined up pretty well.

You can always come back, the bikes and the community will still be here when your ready again

Good Luck.....
Thanks man, but in no way would I leave this community for anything. I have made good friends and will continue to make more of them here. I honestly don't expect my break away to last too long, but it seems that I need to follow my instincts for my & my family's sake. My wife has been very supportive after she overcame her initial fears, but I know how much it tears her apart having to worry about why I am 5 min late and whether I am ok or not. I have been blessed to have made it as far as I have without incident and I hope to keep it that way for as long as I can... maybe now I'll be able to buy a 50 to play on during my breather.
Old 01-31-2009, 01:48 AM   #6
Sinners Saint

Member Garage

Family should always come first. But IMHO its just another excuse, you've somehow lost your confidence with riding. The way I look at it is, you could die from just about anything so just enjoy life. I was almost killed when I was 17 by a drunk driver while driving my grandmothers car, the morning before that I was hit by a woman high on pain meds and she totaled my 79 Chevy truck. I've been down 3 times on my bikes and never got injured as bad as I did that weekend. So I don't fear riding. But if you feel it will lessen the inevitable your wrong, when its your time.......it's your time, know what I mean.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:47 AM   #7
Longstroke
"Skeeza-Pleeza"

Bike(s):
'05 R6 - SOLD

Member Garage

I know what you mean....your wifes level of comfort in your safety is however important though....i'm sure your mothers too.....but Sinners has a good point too....an accident in a car or heck even walking across the street can be deadly! nothing wrong with a break....you put it some good time. who knows...you may come back, you may not.

i think some of it may be mental too....

actually, a good idea....go get a 50, wreck that a few times....then you'll be ready again...

Old 01-31-2009, 07:47 AM   #8
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

Family is the most importatnt thing. That being said however, after 30+ years of riding, the feeling comes and goes. I have had many times when I didn't have the urge to ride. When I lived in Seattle and was attending college, my bike was my only transportation. I rode in rain, snow, black ice, and the occasional sunny day there. It was more of a chore than a joy. But I persevered, and those few sunny days made up for all of the . I haven't ridden since November. After 35 trackdays and a handful of races, I was tired and needed a break bad. Now, after a few months, I am ready to hit it again.

I can totally relate to you on the dangers of riding in Houston traffic, which is why I no longer ride the streets. Don't sell the bike though unless you're in a financial crunch.

Here's an idea.....leave the hazards of the street and come out to the track. It is safe, controlled, and more fun that you could ever imagine! You'll get to experience motorcycling in a whole new way, the way it was intended to be.
Come out to one of our events and spectate. You're more than welcome to sit in on my novice class, and see what fun we are having.

Give me a shout when you're ready.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 08:45 AM   #9
Longstroke
"Skeeza-Pleeza"

Bike(s):
'05 R6 - SOLD

Member Garage

right on Godsuki...

Old 01-31-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godsuki View Post
Family is the most importatnt thing. That being said however, after 30+ years of riding, the feeling comes and goes. I have had many times when I didn't have the urge to ride. When I lived in Seattle and was attending college, my bike was my only transportation. I rode in rain, snow, black ice, and the occasional sunny day there. It was more of a chore than a joy. But I persevered, and those few sunny days made up for all of the . I haven't ridden since November. After 35 trackdays and a handful of races, I was tired and needed a break bad. Now, after a few months, I am ready to hit it again.

I can totally relate to you on the dangers of riding in Houston traffic, which is why I no longer ride the streets. Don't sell the bike though unless you're in a financial crunch.

Here's an idea.....leave the hazards of the street and come out to the track. It is safe, controlled, and more fun that you could ever imagine! You'll get to experience motorcycling in a whole new way, the way it was intended to be.
Come out to one of our events and spectate. You're more than welcome to sit in on my novice class, and see what fun we are having.

Give me a shout when you're ready.
+1

You will have a fun time at the track and you can ride whenever you want.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:36 AM   #11
v4lu3s

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 4 years

Bike(s):
2003 CBR 600 F4i -- Sold

Member Garage

my closest friend has been riding since 1993. he has taken time off twice. once when a close riding buddy of his in law school died after a riding accident, he took less than a year off because he missed riding so much. Sold his GSXR as well.

Then later, he has a wife and kid, and has been riding, commuting 80ish miles a day in the warm months (he lives 40 miles outside of Philadelphia). He and his wife are coming home and they come across a no helmet fatality accident, guy is twitching and brains and blood are all over the road. He called me, said they got home and his wife just stood there looking at him holding their son. He said he would sell the bike, she said to not ever say she asked him to. He called me, I told him he was full of it and would buy another one in less than 6 months if he sold it. He parked the bike in his barn, and let it sit for a while. He did eventually sell it...to buy a Ducati Sts-3.

If it was me and in your position I would take 90 days, pack your gear and bike away out of sight. Not ride or anything. Then see how you feel in 3 months. If you still feel the same go ahead and sell. It will be easier to sell then as well since the weather is nice, but it may also mean you are going to kep it cause the weather is nice!
v4lu3s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:49 AM   #12
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

It's not what you ride, it's that you ride. I'm as happy on a 50 as I am on a literbike, assuming the riding is suited for the bike. Two wheels is two wheels.

My advice, if you can afford it, keep the bike, just don't ride it except on special occasions. An SV650 will last a lifetime of monthly rides. Just be sure to keep stabilizer in the tank, tank full, battery on a tender and it can sit and sit and sit until the mood hits you.
Old 01-31-2009, 10:41 AM   #13
OMEGA
good eenin *****es

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 6 years

Bike(s):
2001 sv650(totalled) 01 yzfr6 now 2003sv1000

Member Garage

man same situation with me, i rode all year last year and this year im like eh, it gets old trying to avoid these idiot drivers, and it becomes nice just to relax and drive to work with out the factors of riding a bike, i just sold my bike last night, i felt bad or selling it , but i got nice little piece of change in my bank account and it will give me time to miss riding alot more to where ill get another bike, im probaly goin to get one sooner than i expected
Old 01-31-2009, 10:52 AM   #14
Basil
all jacked up on mt dew

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
CBR1000rr (street)
CBR600rr (track)
xr50 (stunt&street legal)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadman View Post
It's not what you ride, it's that you ride. I'm as happy on a 50 as I am on a literbike, assuming the riding is suited for the bike. Two wheels is two wheels.

My advice, if you can afford it, keep the bike, just don't ride it except on special occasions. An SV650 will last a lifetime of monthly rides. Just be sure to keep stabilizer in the tank, tank full, battery on a tender and it can sit and sit and sit until the mood hits you.

I like this answer. Dude you have done some serious riding for a years time. I daily drove my old rr for almost a year. I can tell you that i completely lost the urge to even look at it for a few weeks at a time. It was a passing phase for me. I'm sure you'll make the right decision since you have your families interest at heart.
Basil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 11:03 AM   #15
1340HIGH
1340HIGH

Bike(s):
Harley FXDC
420 Honda Rancher ATV

I would agree with family first.
They obviously worry about you riding since they drive you to work.
There is too much a stake for your family if something happens to you and yeah the chances are higher if you ride.

I had one bike for over 9 years and in that time there was one year I did not ride it at all in thinkit was about the 6th year, seemed the desire left that year but it came back, the next.

It sucks when you want to ride but do not have a bike.

However at your age and your family needing you I would let it go.
Look for another Hobby you need to do something.

Life has a lot of time ahead of it for some one your age (But like that one song goes "Don't Blink"). so when the kids are older, and your importance / need by the family is alot less, plus you will may well hit that midlife crisis thing, pick up biking again then.

Good Luck
1340HIGH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:40 PM   #16
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinners Saint View Post
Family should always come first. But IMHO its just another excuse, you've somehow lost your confidence with riding. The way I look at it is, you could die from just about anything so just enjoy life. I was almost killed when I was 17 by a drunk driver while driving my grandmothers car, the morning before that I was hit by a woman high on pain meds and she totaled my 79 Chevy truck. I've been down 3 times on my bikes and never got injured as bad as I did that weekend. So I don't fear riding. But if you feel it will lessen the inevitable your wrong, when its your time.......it's your time, know what I mean.
I see where you are coming from and it seems I did make it sound like my main concern is the "what if"s, but really it is that I have just grown complacent. Now I am working more, sleeping less, and have noticed that I don't follow one of the most important rules of riding which is making sure you are in the right state of mind before you ride. I used to be and it used to be pure joy everytime I got on the bike, but it's been fading lately because I have other responsibilities to think about and consider. No one is making me do this, but taking a hiatus for a little while seems to be the best way to accomplish the goals I have for this year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longstroke View Post
I know what you mean....your wifes level of comfort in your safety is however important though....i'm sure your mothers too.....but Sinners has a good point too....an accident in a car or heck even walking across the street can be deadly! nothing wrong with a break....you put it some good time. who knows...you may come back, you may not.

i think some of it may be mental too....

actually, a good idea....go get a 50, wreck that a few times....then you'll be ready again...
Believe me guys, I know the risk I take everytime I roll out of bed let a lone when I get on my bike or get in my car. The risks don't really bother me, but sometimes I wonder if I am just being naive to the fact that I am willingly putting myself at risk moreso on a bike than in a car. Two-wheel is my love and will always be in my life, but I think a few months off and an excuse to get a better bike when I am ready and have more time will do just fine as well.
Old 01-31-2009, 12:54 PM   #17
Slowkat
Nutty Buddy

Send a message via AIM to Slowkat
If you dont want to ride, dont...whats the big deal?
Old 01-31-2009, 01:14 PM   #18
JSki

Bike(s):
06 SV650

Quote:
Originally Posted by OMEGA View Post
man same situation with me, i rode all year last year and this year im like eh, it gets old trying to avoid these idiot drivers, and it becomes nice just to relax and drive to work with out the factors of riding a bike, i just sold my bike last night, i felt bad or selling it , but i got nice little piece of change in my bank account and it will give me time to miss riding alot more to where ill get another bike, im probaly goin to get one sooner than i expected
That's almost exactly how I feel, but I have our family car which my wife needs during the day and then my bike. I can't exactly afford another car while I have the bike due to the new years budget. I don't know, it wouldn't kill me to keep it, but I think getting rid of it for now will do wonders for inspiring me to get another one... though the next one may just be a track bike so I don't have to worry about laying that bish down or not.
Old 01-31-2009, 07:25 PM   #19
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Cool

If you can afford it ,park it, let the insurance go for a while [ save a few bucks, while not riding ]
Check the papers for a nice cheap cage for transportation for now.
That will leave your wife with her own ride & some peace of mind while the bike sits.
Considering the miles you rode this year in all types of weather, I can understand your fondness for riding being somewhat dull.
This could be a bigger factor than you think in your current state of mind.
Come springtime ,i sure the feeling \ urge to ride will be back to you.
Nothing wrong with some family time for now. [ it's very important ]
Give the bike a rest for now if you can.
Old 01-31-2009, 09:12 PM   #20
Patrick
Motorcycles Unlimited

Bike(s):
'14 Speed Triple R, '82 CB900F, '13 Streetglide

Everyone has their own level of risk they're willing to assume.
If you feel like it's time to take a break, than you probably should.

I've been riding over 30 years, including a good period of time where my bike was my only transportation. In the mid-90's I took a break from almost everything bike related.
Even though I still had a bike, I rarely rode it. No racing, very minimal steet riding.
After a couple of years, I started back again.

In the end, it's your decision.

NEED GEAR? We have a great selection in stock but if we need to order it we GUARANTEE FIT!
Where Houston riders go to have their bikes worked on, done right the first time!

muad

1964 FM 1960 West
Houston, TX 77090
Hours: Tues.-Fri. 9:30-6:00 Sat. 9-5:30
www.motorcycles-unlimited.com
http://www.facebook.com/motorcyclesunlimited
e-mail: patrick@motorcycles-unlimited.com
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement