MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2009, 07:02 AM   #1
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 10+ years

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Thumbs down Honda quits Suzuka 8 Hour

Honda quits suzuka

Perhaps even more shocking than the unsuccessful Kawasaki quitting MotoGP is Honda -- which has won 11 out of the last 12 and 21 out of 31 total races -- giving up on the Suzuki 8 Hours. Honda has also recently withdrawn from both AMA Superbike racing and Formula One all in an effort to save money as the market for cars and motorcycles collapses.

The Suzuka 8 Hours is a championship race in the otherwise fairly unglamorous World Endurance Championship. It enjoys an extremely high profile due to the big budget factory teams the Japanese manufacturers roll out each year, they see the race as something of a contest, spending inordinate amounts of money to beat domestic rivals. Last year, Carlos Checa and Ryuichi Kiyonari won aboard a faulty HRC CBR1000RR; previous winners have included Valentino Rossi, Colin Edwards, Wayne Gardner, Mick Doohan, Eddie Lawson, Wayne Rainey and Wes Cooley.

Honda will continue its support of non-factory teams participating in the race and has reconfirmed its commitment to MotoGP, saying, "Honda won't quit MotoGP."

Wes Siler. January 26, 2009
hellforleathermagazine.com
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Suzuka 8 hour live feed Grinchy Taking it to the Track 7 07-25-2010 09:08 PM
Suzuka 8-hour: Dream Team Honda take victory Grinchy Taking it to the Track 3 07-29-2008 05:35 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2009, 07:10 AM   #2
FastLine
Motorcycle School

Feedback Rating: (0)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Instructing
Trackdays
A
Boss

wow! Maybe Honda should start competing in TMGP to save some money.
FastLine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:12 AM   #3
SexualChocolate
JapLac on 22s

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
998CCs of KING KONG...

Send a message via AIM to SexualChocolate
I'll race for 'em. All I require is 1 personal bike per season.

mybanner4a260100b5617
SexualChocolate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:37 AM   #4
Racer997
Racer, Rider, Shooter

Location: 500 yards away...and watching you in the crosshairs...
Feedback Rating: (6)

Bike(s):
BMW Boxer Cup
KTM 450 SMR
Some Yamaha TTR 125Ls
Lackierwarenfabrik Mg42
Valmet M76

As sad as this is historically, the 8 hours had become a glorified club race over the past few years, a shell of its former self. Where top riders would fill the grid back in the day, now the top rider is an oddity in the field with a bunch of local Japanese fast guy wannabes. I'm guessing market share wasn't what it used to be and the Honda guys thought it would be better sitting on the sidelines since saying "I won Suzuka!" doesn't carry the weight it once did.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #5
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer997 View Post
As sad as this is historically, the 8 hours had become a glorified club race over the past few years, a shell of its former self. Where top riders would fill the grid back in the day, now the top rider is an oddity in the field with a bunch of local Japanese fast guy wannabes. I'm guessing market share wasn't what it used to be and the Honda guys thought it would be better sitting on the sidelines since saying "I won Suzuka!" doesn't carry the weight it once did.
yeah.... it has seemed like it lacked the luster it used too over the years. it was one of those races i looked forward to reading about every year. endurance racing was my thang, so that race always really appealled to me.
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote

Advertisement