MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > General Discussion (Moto Related)
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2009, 11:41 PM   #41
level5
moving chicane

Feedback Rating: (0)

I had my bike stolen and recovered. I didn't have to pay to the storage lot or impound. You might want to call them to find out.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stolen bike recovered from another country. humbleassassin Off Topic 3 05-05-2011 11:45 AM
Stolen Bike Recovered! dudewhrsmybike Off Topic 16 07-18-2007 11:37 PM
Stolen bike recovered 1hander General Discussion (Moto Related) 23 06-22-2007 11:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-27-2009, 11:44 PM   #42
Squared

Experience: 3 years

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
92' Nissan Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
I had my bike stolen and recovered. I didn't have to pay to the storage lot or impound. You might want to call them to find out.
Whoa... that's not what the cops said. Was yours at a police impound? Mine is at Sun's Towing, which is just a normal business.

I mean, I don't see why I should have to pay, it's not like I am at fault for it getting towed there...

Please tell me it will be free!
Squared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:45 PM   #43
brisingr23
This place has the Gheyz!

Experience: 2 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by lbjasonc View Post
congrats on the recovery and i hope that f!@#in thief does some time to think about what he did. if u get his name i say put it up on this board!

also, please let this be a lesson to install lojack on ur bike. i hate readin threads of stolen bikes.

congrats bro
though lojack is a great thing for recovery it is very important to keep your bike as safe as possible... because lojack is not activated until 5 days after it is registered online. just a lil tidbit of information that everyone should know that has it installed.

on the upside congrats on getting your bike back man! that is a true blessing!
brisingr23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:51 PM   #44
JBIRD5363

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
01 50
85 Honda atc 250 sx
95 dr 650

A the tow lot is easy to get to it's right by my folks it's kinda ghetto over there it's off of antoine let me know if you need directions I use to work a street overfrom it I'll ask my roomate if they know any one at suns try to get you the hook up
JBIRD5363 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 11:56 PM   #45
Squared

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
92' Nissan Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBIRD5363 View Post
A the tow lot is easy to get to it's right by my folks it's kinda ghetto over there it's off of antoine let me know if you need directions I use to work a street overfrom it I'll ask my roomate if they know any one at suns try to get you the hook up
Man that would be awesome. Really appreciate it. I've got some crazy GPS in my phone that I hardly ever use, but it's really accurate, so I think I can find it.
Old 01-27-2009, 11:57 PM   #46
level5
moving chicane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squared View Post
Whoa... that's not what the cops said. Was yours at a police impound? Mine is at Sun's Towing, which is just a normal business.

I mean, I don't see why I should have to pay, it's not like I am at fault for it getting towed there...

Please tell me it will be free!

Mine was at the City of Garland impound. If it is where the police have it tow to then it is the police impound lot. The police call for the tow truck then it is contracted with the city of ......(where ever you are at).

Document the repair and charges accrued to get the bike in shape and ask the court to make the thief pay restitution.

On a second thought.... My brother's bike got stolen and recovered at another location and he had to pay for the storage plus tow.

So, good luck, hope you didn't have to pay for the storage/tow.

Last edited by level5; 01-28-2009 at 12:01 AM.
level5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 12:29 AM   #47
ThomasNinja650
SSG Coleman

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2007 Kawasaki Ninja 650-R

Nice to hear that you've gotten your bike back.

DSCN2717
Old 01-28-2009, 12:41 AM   #48
lynkxda1
MotoHouston Street Ninja

Experience: 9-12 months

Bike(s):
2006 Kawawsaki zx 600RR

Im so happy for ya.
Old 01-28-2009, 01:00 AM   #49
Squared

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
92' Nissan Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by level5 View Post
Document the repair and charges accrued to get the bike in shape and ask the court to make the thief pay restitution.
You know I've been so f-ing happy I got my bike back, this didn't even occur to me yet!

Does anyone have any experience with this type of situation? Should I expect to get anything back from this guy towards the expenses incurred? Or is this just a hopeless pipe dream?
Old 01-28-2009, 02:09 AM   #50
ParAvion
Mr. Misanthrope

For future reference you do not have to wait till an insurnace company door opens to go in and renew your insurance. IN fact most of them auto renew all you gotta do is call them up and pay them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squared View Post
My insurance had lapsed the week before it was stolen. The day it was stolen was a Sunday, and I had an appointment with Geicko on Monday to get it insured since it's my day off.

The funny part is that I had considered storing it at my work but decided against it because I had picked up a nail earlier in the week in the center of my rear tire and didn't want to ride on the freeway with it. In our work parking garage we have a locked cage that's right next to the security office which is manned 24/7. It was really the perfect storm of bad luck that caused the theft and the heartbreak after it.

Keep your insured ALL the time guys, or else something like this will happen heh.
ParAvion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 02:37 AM   #51
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Exclamation

If you have not filed your taxes yet, you may be in luck...

Since the theft happened last year, you can claim the entire bike's estimated value as a total loss. My gsxr750 was stolen and I only had liability on it. I was able to claim it as a loss through my CPA and it raised my tax return quite a bit. It is not much extra paperwork.
Old 01-28-2009, 07:34 AM   #52
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 10+

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richards View Post

Since the theft happened last year, you can claim the entire bike's estimated value as a total loss. My gsxr750 was stolen and I only had liability on it. I was able to claim it as a loss through my CPA and it raised my tax return quite a bit. It is not much extra paperwork.
didn't know you could do that, very good info. i like what someone else said, make the thief pay for all charges accrued
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:45 AM   #53
gtdrivr
Al Gore lied to me.

Bike(s):
CBR954 arrrr arrrr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Richards View Post

Yep, I did that. It's only one more form. It sucked losing the bike, but claiming it as a loss helped a little on the return.

Riding the back roads of heaven.

gtdrivr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 07:53 AM   #54
C.Hern5972
Street Ninja Four Father

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
96 ZX7R 37k miles and still strong
2007 HD Softail
2002 Springer Classic
2007 GSXR600

Member Garage

congrats on getting your bike back

Chris H
"I dont follow rules to well"
C.Hern5972 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 10:25 AM   #55
KEITH HUBBARD
JOKERMAN

Bike(s):
1300 V STAR YAMAHA
KZ 650 KAWASAKI
HONDA CB 550
TS125 SUZUKI
HARLEY DAVIDSON 50

Glad to hear the news.
There are peeps on this board that will be willing to help you get back on the road rightously.
Congrats ,just in time for the spring !
Old 01-28-2009, 10:29 AM   #56
Squoddybody
This is me.

Feedback Rating: (5)

Experience: 8 years
Trackdays: 1

Bike(s):
Custom 2003 SV650

Yay! Thieves FTL!

follow me on IG - squoddybody
Squoddybody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:09 AM   #57
morvegil
Banned

Bike(s):
2008 Night Rod Special(s)
2008 1200 Sportster(s)
2008 Triumph Bonneville(w)
2008 Triumph Sprint ST
2010 Ducati Streetfighter

User is banned

morvegil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:27 AM   #58
Gixxer-Joy
Banned

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
K8 GSXR-600 (The Pearl)

User is banned

Gixxer-Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:40 AM   #59
switch
two fifty

Experience: 4 years

did you add anything else to the bike aftermarket wise? i see you have the sportbars V2
CMRA #250
"Me? I stand for uncertainty, insecurity, bad taste, fun, and things that go boom in the night."
switch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2009, 11:47 AM   #60
Squared

Bike(s):
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650r
92' Nissan Pickup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gixxer-Joy View Post
Take your bike to a shop and get a estimate for the repairs just like if you were going to claim it on insurance....that way you don't have to pay up front....but you have proof of what needs to be replaced/fixed. Also keep all paperwork if you have to pay to get the bike out.

You might have to to present your own case (or press your own charges) b/c from the sound of it the case open right now is the city against the thief...not you against the thief.

UPDATE

Thiefs name: Jeremy Childs

Talked to HPD again, this time more specifically about the costs involved. He said that the District Attorney is going to contact me and we can discuss what the court requests in terms of restitution for my damages.

Also, he said the DA may require me to testify if this is the case- which is no problem for me.

He also mentioned that the guy may take a plea bargain and that would kind of screw my chances of getting anything without suing him personally. However, he did say the last time he talked to the guy he was vehemently stating his innocence and that he was just holding the stuff for a friend. He said he highly doubted he would take a plea bargain, so let's hope he doesn't!

Advertisement