MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 11:51 PM   #21
SVmike
nuthin'

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Send a message via AIM to SVmike
Asphalt pavement doesn't need a long cure time. As soon as the material is completely cooled off it should be able to handle traffic. If the prep work and paving are done properly, there should not be any negative effects on the asphalt. I had to double check this with a fellow friend/co-worker who has worked a few asphalt overlays. Both of us work for TxDOT btw and NO I am not the person to talk to about potholes, debris, or traffic problems.

Last edited by SVmike; 01-26-2009 at 11:54 PM.
SVmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forest / TWS (Texas World Speedway) ride on Monday 09.07.09 Deano3090 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 13 09-06-2009 06:31 PM
OTR Tonight 04/30/09 @7:30 lil_red_rider Events, Meets and Rides 11 05-01-2009 08:16 AM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) tire wall update nutmegchoi Taking it to the Track 43 02-01-2007 09:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #22
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVmike View Post
Asphalt pavement doesn't need a long to cure time. If all the prep work and paving is done properly you should be able to put traffic on it as soon as the overlay is completely cooled off without seeing any negative effects. I had to double check this with a fellow friend/co-worker who has worked a few asphalt overlays. Both of us work for TxDOT btw and NO I am not the person to talk to about potholes, debris, or traffic problems.
Hey, can yall get to the pothole on University? kthanks.

Old 01-26-2009, 11:53 PM   #23
JDUB

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR-600 SOLD
2006 GSXR-1000 TrackWhore SOLD
HD 93 FLFTS Custom SOLD
HD 09 FXDC (KIA) :(
HD 2015 FLHX-S

Quote:
Asphalt pavement doesn't need a long to cure time. If all the prep work and paving is done properly you should be able to put traffic on it as soon as the overlay is completely cooled off without seeing any negative effects. I had to double check this with a fellow friend/co-worker who has worked a few asphalt overlays. Both of us work for TxDOT btw and NO I am not the person to talk to about potholes, debris, or traffic problems.

I like my women like I like my tires...HOT and STICKY!
JDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:01 AM   #24
SVmike
nuthin'

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Hey, can yall get to the pothole on University? kthanks.

Uhh...actually...if it's within the current US59 project limits...yes. F##ker
Old 01-27-2009, 12:02 AM   #25
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Asphalt pavement doesn't need a long cure time. As soon as the material is completely cooled off it should be able to handle traffic. If the prep work and paving are done properly, there should not be any negative effects on the asphalt. I had to double check this with a fellow friend/co-worker who has worked a few asphalt overlays. Both of us work for TxDOT btw and NO I am not the person to talk to about potholes, debris, or traffic problems.
no offense to your buddy, but I dont think they take into effect of all the speed and pressures put on asphault for track purposes(maybe they do)

Ive seen the difference first hand at GSS, and at ECR as well. MSRH suffered the same problem. It was laid down and people are in a hurry to put cars/bikes on a track to make the money back on their investment. At GSS we let it cure for 3 months(engineers advice) and there hasnt been one problem.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:14 AM   #26
SVmike
nuthin'

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post
no offense to your buddy, but I dont think they take into effect of all the speed and pressures put on asphault for track purposes(maybe they do)

Ive seen the difference first hand at GSS, and at ECR as well. MSRH suffered the same problem. It was laid down and people are in a hurry to put cars/bikes on a track to make the money back on their investment. At GSS we let it cure for 3 months(engineers advice) and there hasnt been one problem.
**** you mang.

J/k
No offense taken. Mix design, depth, subgrade materials and prep, and traffic type are all part of the equation. I know what you're saying about the type of traffic usage, but think about the amount of traffic, including 18-wheelers, that some of todays roads handle. Also, I doubt there were cars on the track the day after the repave. Definitely nothing wrong with letting fresh asphalt sit for a while though. I'm not a civil engineer yet so I really couldn't tell you what the best course of action would be. One would think that letting the overlay set w/out use for as long as possible would be the best route though.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #27
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solracer View Post

Chris, big difference in the base at ECR and Mercedes Benz. MBSLRC was built on a rice paddy and the cars got on the track almost as soon as the asphalt dried (exaggeration), and ECR had a bad base by the company that laid the track (I've heard, it seems to be the most widely accepted reason) as well as getting cars on there early.

Unless that concrete is completely gone from under GSS, which I seriously doubt, you could probably lay a 10' thick asphalt layer on there and it wouldn't be affected.

Not comparing apples to apples here and you'll get 3 different opinions from 3 different construction "experts", ya know?

BTW, I don't know shyte about this other than what "experts" have told me or I've read from their discussions. For all I know, you have to wait 3 days or 3 years before getting on the stuff.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:18 AM   #28
lorin70

I recall that MSRH did let the track cure for a pretty good while. I think it was close to 3 months. I did the first Ride Smart motorcycle track day out there and it was pretty smooth when new except for the dip down in Diamonds Edge. I want back the next month after cars had been running on it for a few weeks and it was already torn up in some corners and you had to watch for flying aggregate.

Since TWS (Texas World Speedway) has a good base hopefully the asphalt mix is good and it won't break up and have the rocks sucked out. I'm really looking forward to the new T7.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 12:22 AM   #29
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorin70 View Post
I recall that MSRH did let the track cure for a pretty good while. I think it was close to 3 months. I did the first Ride Smart motorcycle track day out there and it was pretty smooth when new except for the dip down in Diamonds Edge. I want back the next month after cars had been running on it for a few weeks and it was already torn up in some corners and you had to watch for flying aggregate.

Since TWS (Texas World Speedway) has a good base hopefully the asphalt mix is good and it won't break up and have the rocks sucked out. I'm really looking forward to the new T7.
Ride Smart was not even really close to being the first on the track, there were cars on there long before that event- car events and member days.

I remember dumping gravel out of my lower after almost every session when I went on member days with my friend- the pavement was fantastic but only lasted about 9 mos.

I don't care really unless this shyte tears up... we'll be there early, mid and late this season, and I've ridden on worse there! Anything has to be better than it was, even if it's a bit shagged from cars on a fresh repave.

I seriously doubt that these new owners are going to let anything detrimental to that track, I'm sure they're heading the advice of the construction engineers.
Old 01-27-2009, 12:24 AM   #30
SVmike
nuthin'

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

Quote:
Chris,... you'll get 3 different opinions from 3 different construction "experts"...
tis true...very, very true.

I can't wait to get on the new surface. I;m getting itchy thinking about it
Old 01-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #31
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

Quote:
Chris, big difference in the base at ECR and Mercedes Benz. MBSLRC was built on a rice paddy and the cars got on the track almost as soon as the asphalt dried (exaggeration), and ECR had a bad base by the company that laid the track (I've heard, it seems to be the most widely accepted reason) as well as getting cars on there early.

Unless that concrete is completely gone from under GSS, which I seriously doubt, you could probably lay a 10' thick asphalt layer on there and it wouldn't be affected.

From what Ive "heard" the engineer that was doing the ECR pavement quit because no one woul listen to him. Look what happend.(however this is second hand info as I havent spoken with him directly)

At GSS there is no NEW asphault ontop of the old concrete. Why? The OLD aspault cracked and seperated because when it rains, the concrete moves and shifts(when you go back out there take a look at all the cracks in the concrete near the old asphault)

The one mile circuit was cured for 3 months before the .3 mile loop was added. It was added and then Ride Smart went out there a few weeks afterwards. Guess what, the loop was torn up, but the large track wasnt. The parts that were torn up, were repaved and let cure before anyone ran on it. And there isnt a flaw in it(knock on wood)
Old 01-27-2009, 12:32 AM   #32
SVmike
nuthin'

Bike(s):
just a mtn bike now...

My dad mentioned something about Jack Roush testing a car at TWS (Texas World Speedway) recently so I did a little search and found this:
Biffle fast in test at Texas World Speedway: With NASCAR's ban on testing at sanctioned facilities sending its national series teams far and wide to rack up some mileage, #16-Greg Biffle's Roush Fenway Racing Ford team was the first Cup operation to test at the newly-spruced-up, two-mile Texas World Speedway, whose last Cup race was held in 1981 and won by the late Benny Parsons. Biffle, whose history includes a heavy crash in testing at Las Vegas Motor Speedway in December 2006, voiced his opinion on the speeds achieved at Texas World, but said nothing about a lack of SAFER barriers at the track. "[It was] very fast," Biffle said. "A little bit bumpy, which is to be expected of a race track that the pavement is that old, but just a very fast place. It's kind of a fun race track, but our cars today are probably pretty dang fast for a race track like that." Biffle said his Thursday afternoon speeds in College Station on Jan. 15 were the "fastest I've been in a race car before -- 218 miles an hour. That's getting her done, if you want to say -- 195 mile an hour average, so it was a pretty fast place."(NASCAR.com)(1-23-2009) Comment here
courtesy
http://www.jayski.com/stats/testing/testing2009.htm
Old 01-27-2009, 12:42 AM   #33
lorin70

Quote:
Ride Smart was not even really close to being the first on the track, there were cars on there long before that event- car events and member days.

I remember dumping gravel out of my lower after almost every session when I went on member days with my friend- the pavement was fantastic but only lasted about 9 mos.
Yeah, that trackday was the first weekend of March 2006 and I think it wasn't until the first SCCA or NASA race weekend, which was in April I think, that the corners got really torn up right on the outside wheel track.
FZ6
lorin70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:18 AM   #34
jodyhudson

Feedback Rating: (5)

Send a message via Yahoo to jodyhudson
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
All the reference points in 7 and 8... GONE. I wonder how the new surface feels? BTW, he could pick up some lap times by staying off the brake going into 5. It's not necessary, not even in a turbo.
when u gonna do a car trackday again curt ? i'd like to take sum laps with ya. ive never been around TWS (Texas World Speedway) in a car before.....
jodyhudson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:22 AM   #35
jodyhudson

TWS (Texas World Speedway) has a twin sister track. anyone know which track it is ?
Old 01-27-2009, 07:36 AM   #36
WhoDoIThinkIAm
Banned

Bike(s):
2003 Bimota Tesi 2D,
2006 GSXR1000,
2004 Honda CRF450,
2004 Honda CRF150,
Vintage DKW

User is banned

WhoDoIThinkIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 07:49 AM   #37
jodyhudson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoDoIThinkIAm View Post
Michigan, but I don't know if there is a road course there. It's the oval layout that is the same.
is it ? i was thinkin Talladega. fukk, its been so long i forgot.....
Old 01-27-2009, 08:04 AM   #38
WhoDoIThinkIAm
Banned

Bike(s):
2003 Bimota Tesi 2D,
2006 GSXR1000,
2004 Honda CRF450,
2004 Honda CRF150,
Vintage DKW

User is banned

WhoDoIThinkIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 08:42 AM   #39
BigComfy

Feedback Rating: (3)

Bike(s):
SV1k (sold)
CRB6 Track Bike (sold)
Daytona 1200 (parted)
1st Gen FZ1 (sold)
1st Gen SV650 (sold)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jodyhudson View Post
is it ? i was thinkin Talladega. fukk, its been so long i forgot.....
Diesel got your head twisted honky.
BigComfy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2009, 09:17 AM   #40
WhoDoIThinkIAm
Banned

Bike(s):
2003 Bimota Tesi 2D,
2006 GSXR1000,
2004 Honda CRF450,