MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

TWS (Texas World Speedway) repave UPDATE!!!!! 1/30/09

, I should have checked earlier, I knew they were doing it but forgot all about it!

Looks like they repaved 7- 8a and the NASCAR oval turns 1/2 and 3/4! Maybe they're going to get that high speed test oval track concept going as planned!

Man, that's some big work there, I can't wait!

I don't know what I'm going to do without rattling my teeth loose in 8/8a next year...

Vid courtesy of a post on CMRA from Jess Johnson, apparently it was taken on 1-25-09

Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Forest / TWS (Texas World Speedway) ride on Monday 09.07.09 Deano3090 Ridesmart Motorcycle School 13 09-06-2009 06:31 PM
OTR Tonight 04/30/09 @7:30 lil_red_rider Events, Meets and Rides 11 05-01-2009 08:16 AM
TWS (Texas World Speedway) tire wall update nutmegchoi Taking it to the Track 43 02-01-2007 09:48 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
maxgs

Member Garage

All the reference points in 7 and 8... GONE. I wonder how the new surface feels? BTW, he could pick up some lap times by staying off the brake going into 5. It's not necessary, not even in a turbo.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:37 PM   #3
Pyrofallout
<<<< S.B.N. >>>>

Feedback Rating: (31)

Experience: 5 years
Trackdays: 10+

Member Garage

Looks awesome! Can't wait! So are they gonna try and revamp TWS (Texas World Speedway) instead of letting it fall apart? I sure hope so.
Pyrofallout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:38 PM   #4
JDUB

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR-600 SOLD
2006 GSXR-1000 TrackWhore SOLD
HD 93 FLFTS Custom SOLD
HD 09 FXDC (KIA) :(
HD 2015 FLHX-S

WOW! That looks so different! And SO much better!

I like my women like I like my tires...HOT and STICKY!
JDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 10:39 PM   #5
maxgs

Member Garage

absolutely. that's going to take me a while to get used to.
Old 01-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #6
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

So, it was repaved and is already being driven on?

How's that going to hold up?
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:00 PM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Jess didn't take the vid, he just found it and posted on Youtube, he's a pretty fast dude. But I bet the guy who made the vid wouldn't mind some feedback from you Curt, you should email him.

Was it me? Or did the video even sound smoother on the repaved section?

I'm not worried about reference points there, for years, I was just more concerned about NOT hitting that wall to worry about reference points!

Bdub, it was repaved back at the beginning of the off-season, I think the start of December?

A repave here is not going to be the same as a new track, the bed layer is much more stable... especially more stable than a rice field.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
bdubb

Feedback Rating: (10)

Bike(s):
1961 Mustang Thoroughbred
'06 CBR1000RR (SOLD)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
Jess didn't take the vid, he just found it and posted on Youtube, he's a pretty fast dude. But I bet the guy who made the vid wouldn't mind some feedback from you Curt, you should email him.

Was it me? Or did the video even sound smoother on the repaved section?

I'm not worried about reference points there, for years, I was just more concerned about NOT hitting that wall to worry about reference points!

Bdub, it was repaved back at the beginning of the off-season, I think the start of December?

A repave here is not going to be the same as a new track, the bed layer is much more stable... especially more stable than a rice field.

Fair enough, I was thinking about the track being settled already after I made the post. But how does new asphalt hold up without much cure time before cars get on it? I don't have enough experience on tracks to know, but seems if it sat a bit longer it might weather better.

No complaints though. It's nice to see someone putting money into improving TWS (Texas World Speedway). Hopefully they will be able to continue the trend over the next couple years.
bdubb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:10 PM   #9
Scorpio
Twist the Grip, Let'r Rip

Feedback Rating: (6)

450x sumo (sold)
RC51 (sold)
Honda Grom 125(sold)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Scorpio
looks good.
turn 8 needed it bad.
Scorpio is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:11 PM   #10
Mr.P
Driving Duh-Bus

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
CBR1000RR

I was thinking the same thing Curt. Even on liter bikes the pros barely let off there. Newb's are braking and downshifting like mad, then turning, then hard on the gas again. It has tons of runoff area and you can swing wide and brake late if needed and always make it thru 6 and 7 no prob. Other than that, he looked pretty smooth, just a little timid on the gas exiting corners.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:12 PM   #11
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdubb View Post
Fair enough, I was thinking about the track being settled already after I made the post. But how does new asphalt hold up without much cure time before cars get on it? I don't have enough experience on tracks to know, but seems if it sat a bit longer it might weather better.

No complaints though. It's nice to see someone putting money into improving TWS (Texas World Speedway). Hopefully they will be able to continue the trend over the next couple years.
They've done a fantastic job improving things since the new owners took over. This part of the repave was in their business plan, I am surprised though that they did it with the economy. Kudos to them

According to those I've talked to who own/ run tracks, the small cars are the ones that tear things up (like the Miatas), but I don't think it will have as big of an impact on TWS (Texas World Speedway) due to the existing foundation.

The banked oval though, I want to ride that during lunch one day...
Old 01-26-2009, 11:15 PM   #12
maxgs

Member Garage

Quote:
They've done a fantastic job improving things since the new owners took over. This part of the repave was in their business plan, I am surprised though that they did it with the economy. Kudos to them

According to those I've talked to who own/ run tracks, the small cars are the ones that tear things up (like the Miatas), but I don't think it will have as big of an impact on TWS (Texas World Speedway) due to the existing foundation.

The banked oval though, I want to ride that during lunch one day...
Tom from what I've heard, it's the big nasties that tear the track up. GT1 cars with 400 or 500+ hp weighing 3,000 lbs or less with big ol' slicks. Tires get sticky and with all that power, they literally tear the track up. Lightweight, skinny tired cars, with no aero don't have the weight or the HP to tear things up.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:19 PM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxgs View Post
Tom from what I've heard, it's the big nasties that tear the track up. GT1 cars with 400 or 500+ hp weighing 3,000 lbs or less with big ol' slicks. Tires get sticky and with all that power, they literally tear the track up. Lightweight, skinny tired cars, with no aero don't have the weight or the HP to tear things up.
You're probably right, it makes sense to me, but I'm no expert. I know Jerry used to all the time at the Mercedes Benz track about the small cars like Miatas tearing it up. David at GSS said the same kind of thing.

I have no idea, but I know cars tear that shyte up!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:25 PM   #14
1fastchevy
Bout Time

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):

Awsome find.
1fastchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #15
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

wow, cant wait to run it!

However, They should have let that asphalt cure for 3 months prior to running on it....

hopefully they have already put the sealer down and not wait till time for bikes to go out on it....

Cant wait to ride my favorite track!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:29 PM   #16
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
I've never had a problem with T8, maybe it's because I know no different (i.e. the wall, etc.)??? They "fixed" the wall before I started doing trackdays. It will be interesting to see some new lines....(avoiding pavement b/c of bumpy sections, etc). I look forward to checking it out!
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:35 PM   #17
blends
NYYYYYYEAAOWWWWWW

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 2 years

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to blends
kewl... cant wait to try it out!
Old 01-26-2009, 11:39 PM   #18
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbuck View Post
I've never had a problem with T8, maybe it's because I know no different (i.e. the wall, etc.)??? They "fixed" the wall before I started doing trackdays. It will be interesting to see some new lines....(avoiding pavement b/c of bumpy sections, etc). I look forward to checking it out!
I hear ya man, I think it's going to change the lines some, but not much. The fast way through there probably isn't going to change much, but the ability to pass there probably will!

I used to bomb through that section for a long time before I saw Jesus... I always kindof wondered why it was relatively easier to pass there and wondered why nobody went through there faster. That was until a young man (Ryan Smith iirc) was killed there years ago during a practice. I slowed down a shytload then... man I was dumb No wonder my team mates thought I was stupid in that corner back then.

That interchange was even better when we used to take the horseshoe around and back on to the NASCAR track
Old 01-26-2009, 11:42 PM   #19
JDUB

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
2006 GSXR-600 SOLD
2006 GSXR-1000 TrackWhore SOLD
HD 93 FLFTS Custom SOLD
HD 09 FXDC (KIA) :(
HD 2015 FLHX-S

Quote:
That interchange was even better when we used to take the horseshoe around and back on to the NASCAR track
! That would rock! Thats gotta be cool!

I like my women like I like my tires...HOT and STICKY!
JDUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 11:43 PM   #20
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

http://www.texasworldspeedway.com/20...l%20Update.pdf