Welcome back to us :/ Our hosts data center was down for the entire day.
MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > Technical > How To's and Q & A's
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2009, 12:53 PM   #1
awokenracer
california destined

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 3 years
Trackdays: 4

Bike(s):
None :(

Unhappy Possible Blown Motor... Please Help!

Hello people, I have an 07 GSXR 600 with 15,000 miles on it already. It is pretty much my daily driver.

I was riding to work today at a consistent high level of speed (not full throttle), and I lost half the power and my FI light came on. I tried to juice it a little more but it kept bogging. I turned it off and restarted the bike and it sounds like a v-twin now. I'm not so sure if I can here "clanking" in the motor. Do yall think I blew it??? I really wouldn't expect that with only 15,000 miles. Damnit I love this bike too much! I was looking forward for this years track days. I had the boots and everything. Maybe these few facts might help determine whats going on:

Engine Mods and Maintenence:
BMC air filter
Power Commander 3 (tuned at 3k miles)
M4 slip-on (does shoot flames at times)
oil changed every 3000 miles

Riding Characteristics:
never dropped
aggressive at times
ALWAYS rev-match while downshifting
never pop wheelies

I hope the bike just went into some kind of "safe mode" to prevent worse things from happening. Thanks in advance!
awokenracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
My guess is this bike is stolen or blown motor.... flipstyledsm22 General Discussion (Moto Related) 11 04-24-2012 02:42 PM
WTF Ford! #3 Spark Plug blown out of the motor BYRDMAN Car Forum 51 02-15-2012 07:05 AM
Question about selling an 04 R6 with blown motor. Los General Discussion (Moto Related) 12 09-09-2009 04:13 PM
Will I get blown off the road? NightBaron General Discussion (Moto Related) 47 03-07-2009 10:56 PM
Ever blown a tranny? Ramius Off Topic 20 08-21-2006 04:00 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-25-2009, 12:55 PM   #2
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 10+ years

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
sounds like you blew the motor
Old 01-25-2009, 12:59 PM   #3
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

1st, you should post this in the "how to/ q&a forum" to get more help

2nd, without actually hearing the bike, it's impossible to tell if you blew the engine. If it's making a knocking or tapping noise that is consistent with the power loss, then yeah, you probably did and if you hear a "clanking" noise in the engine- you definitely did.

3rd, you could just be having a problem with your Fi and/ or got some trash in your injectors or something failed there. Not to mention that your PCIII could have failed.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:00 PM   #4
FLYIN'DUC

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
07 Ducati, 99 Busa

I would suggest having it at least a pro listen to it, warranty??
FLYIN'DUC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:06 PM   #5
Grinchy

Feedback Rating: (15)

Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
'prila

anytime a 4 runs on two it sounds horrible.
sounds ominous but with only 15k and reg oil changes you'd be unlucky if it's blown.
Grinchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:41 PM   #6
awokenracer
california destined

Bike(s):

Is it ok to just unplug the PCIII? Im not sure how that works. Im hoping one of my spark plugs went out but Ive worked with cars for many years and Ive never heard of a plug just going out instantly. I can't even imagine how much it would cost to get this fixed. I barely have enough to pay for this rediculous insurance cost.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:52 PM   #7
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

My 1st question is have you had any work done to the bike recently? If so, what?

You can unplug the PC and try running the bike without it. It is a fuel management device and won't hurt anything. When you unplug the PC from the harness, plug the OEM connectors back together.
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 01:54 PM   #8
awokenracer
california destined

Bike(s):

No sir just the routine oil changes.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:08 PM   #9
navigator
Senior Citizen

Bike(s):
'09 Ninja 250
'09 Versys
'09 Grizzly
'10 Felt Racing Hybrid

Try unplugging the Power Commander (PCIII). Remove the battery terminals before doing so. The ECU should recalibrate on startup. For your mods a PC is recommended but not required.

If you are not sure that you hear clanking, it most likely isn't.

Any chance you got bad fuel in the tank?
POLITICAL CORRECTNESS, is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a by the clean end.
navigator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:19 PM   #10
awokenracer
california destined

Bike(s):

Yeah Ill try unplugging it. I might just take the bike to a shop to get the codes off the FI light before I do so. I usually put Shell Chevron or Valero PREMIUM... with 15k on the bike in less than 2 years... Ive refueled plenty of times.

Ok heres the thing... I know on my bike the gas light blinks when its on "reserve"... and I know it remains lit when I really need to get gas ASAP. Today, when I lost 1/2 power and my FI light came on, I did have the gas light blinking when I started the bike. It might just be a coincidence.

BTW thanks for helping me out.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:26 PM   #11
Mr.Jones

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
02 f4i
09 Raider(dads bike)

How does it sound at low rpm. It sounds like you lost a cylinder. Maybe a sparkplug or injector or coil. Warm the bike up then take a wet papertowel and touch it to each header pipe they should all hiss whenever the papertowel touches. If one doesn't then its not running on that cylinder.
And the FI light is there for a reason < it will tell you the problem

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways totally worn out shouting "HOLY T...WHAT A RIDE!"
Mr.Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 02:30 PM   #12
awokenracer
california destined

Bike(s):

Alright cool. that papertowel trick is smart yet so simple.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:42 PM   #13
awokenracer
california destined

Bike(s):

Does anyone know the price range of a repair like this... fixing internals and what not??? If it really is blown, would you recommend fixing it, getting a new motor, getting a 07 750 motor (if thats simple to do), or just sitting in my room to cry about my bike?
Old 01-25-2009, 03:22 PM   #14
awokenracer
california destined

Bike(s):

WOW so after 3 hours from the incident, I started it again and MIRACLE!!! it started fine... revved fine... checked the PCIII and the light was revving to the center like it should... my FI light is gone. Im stumped now. Im scared its going to happen again.

Do gsxr's have a code history where I can see the past FI codes even though the light is off?

I only live 15 minutes away from work but I dont want to risk it to where it fails again.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:43 PM   #15
Gryphin
09 r1!

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 4 years
Trackdays: 2

Bike(s):
09 Yamaha R1
06 Ninja ZX-6R (RIP)

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to Gryphin
well keep the speed down to sane levels and take it to a shop and have them look it over.. maybe one of your pc cables came loose..
Old 01-25-2009, 05:52 PM   #16
badzuk765

take it to a suzuki dealer they can plug into the bike and tell u what codes came on and from there u can figure out what happened ,u did not mention anything about maintenance with that many miles its time for new sparkplugs and checking valve clearance, suzuki also sells a fuel injector cleaner u pour into the gas if u ride your bike every day use it once every three mnts,
badzuk765 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 08:25 PM   #17
YZFracer212

Bike(s):
05 SV 1000 ~ Street, 2000 SV 650 ~ track, 2007 RMZ 250 ~ MX, 2003 CRF 88 ~ play

Send a message via AIM to YZFracer212
Check your ground cable, I have had mulitiple customer bikes come in with loose ground wire. When your ground is loose the power comander looses its ground and shuts off.
YZFracer212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #18
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YZFracer212 View Post
Check your ground cable, I have had mulitiple customer bikes come in with loose ground wire. When your ground is loose the power comander looses its ground and shuts off.
Excellent advice there Clay, that was just what I was going to suggest- this sounds JUST like a electrical grounding or loose battery cable issue.

It can also be indicative of a low battery, but sounds like that's not the case so much.

Make sure your battery connections are tight, all the ground connections are tight, as well as looking for any wires that may be grounding to the frame or other parts of the bike.

If you can't chase these things down, I know Patrick can find them at Motorcycles Unlimited
Old 01-25-2009, 11:14 PM   #19
1FastMF
Banned

User is banned

1FastMF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2009, 01:27 AM   #20
awokenracer
california destined

Bike(s):

oh man I appreciate all the advice. Just to be safe I will definitely change the plugs and get the injector cleaner... and the loose ground cables make perfect sense... I do ride through some pretty jacked-up roads that could possible loosen something up. Thanks again yall!

Advertisement