MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 11:49 PM   #1
vlaleal

Feedback Rating: (1)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 5

Bike(s):
05 gsxr 600
07 gsxr 600 (track)

Slicks or DOTs

Hello everyone, this is my first post on this forum, but I have been a long time reader. I would like to thank everybody for the kindness and wise advice that have been reading on this forum. Now it is my turn to ask. I started doing track days last year and I got addicted like many people on this site. After my friend low side on TWS (Texas World Speedway) last November, his street/track bike got completely destroyed (head lights, mirrors, turning signals, fairing stay, air rams, right handle bar, both levers, reservoir cup, every single fairing including the tail). I decided to get a track bike instead of using my street/track bike, so I got a track bike ready the only thing that have bought for this bike is a GPR stabilizer. This bike came with new slicks and I donít have tire warmers. My question is should I replace the slicks for DOTs and save the slicks for when I get a little faster? I have understood that slicks need a lot of heat in order to work well on the track and I know I am not fast enough to get these slicks to ultimate operational temperature form cold. Also, I know that I need tire warmers in order to keep the heat cycle to one for track day. One more question, Is it recommend using tire warmers with DOTs?
vlaleal is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
pirelli 125gp slicks tsflstb Mini's, Motards & Flattrack Racing 2 03-05-2015 04:49 PM
rain slicks SPEED FREAK DECALS General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 08-08-2014 05:13 PM
12" Slicks Moc05 Dirtbikes, Mini's, ATV's..... 5 04-21-2011 09:48 PM
slicks on the street klassik General Discussion (Moto Related) 19 01-15-2009 01:19 PM
Slicks vs DOT bumblebee Taking it to the Track 55 01-26-2007 07:41 AM
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2009, 11:58 PM   #2
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

If your times at TWS (Texas World Speedway) are over a 1:50-:55 Id say stay with DOT's like the BT-003's

Tons of fast guys run DOT's
Old 01-21-2009, 11:59 PM   #3
Solracer
MotoHouston.com Owner.

Feedback Rating: (9)

Bike(s):
2006 YZF600R (Street)
2009 Iron 883

Member Garage

I recommend using warmers whenever you can, however, its not NEEDED. Your tire will suffer and wear faster because of heat cycling..
Old 01-22-2009, 12:05 AM   #4
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Pretty much what Chris said. IMHO I'd shelve the slicks and get some DOT race tires. The BT003's or Diablo Supercorsas are very good options. Tire warmers are not required, but you will see better performance and longer life from the tires if you use them. Essentially tire warmers pay for themselves after a short while, through increased tire life. There are some intermediate options available like the BT002RS and the Dragon Supercorsas, but if your running a dedicated trackbike, I usually suggest running full on race tires. The extra grip & stability is relatively cheap insurance.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 12:11 AM   #5
vlaleal

Bike(s):
05 gsxr 600
07 gsxr 600 (track)

Thanks for the advice. I think I will get a set bt 002 to try them. Last year I was ussing corsa III and I like them but not the price. What brand of tire warmer should I look.
Old 01-22-2009, 12:52 AM   #6
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Feedback Rating: (5)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlaleal View Post
Thanks for the advice. I think I will get a set bt 002 to try them. Last year I was ussing corsa III and I like them but not the price. What brand of tire warmer should I look.
I sell the Suzuka single temp warmers for $299 + tax. I offer free shipping to your door. They are built by the people at Chickenhawk and have vastly improved the product for 2009. Not to mention they warrenty the product as well. Best bang for the buck, by far.

John
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:25 AM   #7
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Feedback Rating: (2)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Member Garage

To interject something else here, I'd say if the slicks were used, either sell 'em or toss 'em when you get new tires. By the time you get to the point you can actually use them they'll be old (not because you'll be that slow, tires age quickly).

Besides, using Chris' analogy about lap times, you can get well in to the 40's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on DOTs. I'd only go with slicks if you're racing SB or if you're fast enough to get heat in 'em and want a longer lasting tire.

I'd be happy to work with you at one of our events (schedule found at www.lstd.com) so you can get a good direction, not to mention John (posting above, the tire dude) will be at every one of our events. He'll get you the best price and some fantastic support on site!
Old 01-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #8
Brian f.

Feedback Rating: (0)

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
To interject something else here, I'd say if the slicks were used, either sell 'em or toss 'em when you get new tires. By the time you get to the point you can actually use them they'll be old (not because you'll be that slow, tires age quickly).

Besides, using Chris' analogy about lap times, you can get well in to the 40's at TWS (Texas World Speedway) on DOTs. I'd only go with slicks if you're racing SB or if you're fast enough to get heat in 'em and want a longer lasting tire.

I'd be happy to work with you at one of our events (schedule found at www.lstd.com) so you can get a good direction, not to mention John (posting above, the tire dude) will be at every one of our events. He'll get you the best price and some fantastic support on site!

Not to -in here, but i would love to get with you for some help and advice around TWS (Texas World Speedway). Its become a favorite track for me but i sure seem to have a hard time with it and my lap times
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 09:57 AM   #9
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post
Not to -in here, but i would love to get with you for some help and advice around TWS (Texas World Speedway). Its become a favorite track for me but i sure seem to have a hard time with it and my lap times
Any time. We'll be at TWS (Texas World Speedway) and Cresson a bunch this year, our schedule is in the above link on the other post.

Just ask for "Tom" when you get there or arrange it with me through PM and I'll get you hooked up. If I can't help, we've got a ton of fast guy instructors who've raced for years that can help you too.

Back on topic:

You may make some $$ by selling the slicks if they're not too old/ worn.
Old 01-22-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
houseofpaint
PM for BESTPRICE on parts

Feedback Rating: (7)

Bike(s):
2010 Yamaha R1 racebike
2012 GSXR750 Racebike
2003 DRZ125 semiflattracker

Member Garage

Send a message via AIM to houseofpaint
what brand and size slicks are on the bike? and u wanna sell em? if so how much?

and yeah, i would stick to DOT's unless you can keep the pace required for slicks.....tire warmers are a GREAT investment....

2 things you need (tires and warmers).....and 1 guy who can get em both for you at an awesome price. pm KAWIJM, (john hutchinson) is a great and knowledgeable guy to deal with.....if you got any questions on or off the track regarding tires, he's often at the track giving support, or he's only one phone call away.

also, if you need help at any of the tracks and can't make it to the LSTD event......i help instruct with Texas Trackdays (www.texastrackdays.com) and can show you a thing or two about a thing or two. either option is greeat.....just find whichever best fits your schedule

Custom Paint, Powdercoating, and Collision repair (Cars and bikes)[/b]
houseofpaint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:28 PM   #11
vlaleal

Bike(s):
05 gsxr 600
07 gsxr 600 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by houseofpain View Post
what brand and size slicks are on the bike? and u wanna sell em? if so how much?

and yeah, i would stick to DOT's unless you can keep the pace required for slicks.....tire warmers are a GREAT investment....

2 things you need (tires and warmers).....and 1 guy who can get em both for you at an awesome price. pm KAWIJM, (john hutchinson) is a great and knowledgeable guy to deal with.....if you got any questions on or off the track regarding tires, he's often at the track giving support, or he's only one phone call away.

also, if you need help at any of the tracks and can't make it to the LSTD event......i help instruct with Texas Trackdays (www.texastrackdays.com) and can show you a thing or two about a thing or two. either option is greeat.....just find whichever best fits your schedule
They are Metzeler racetec slick 120/180 and I used them once at MSRH last november (they are almost new, I used tire warmers that I borrow from my friend). About the price I don't have any idea how much they are, if you want them give me reasonable offer and they are yours.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 PM   #12
vlaleal

Bike(s):
05 gsxr 600
07 gsxr 600 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomLSTD View Post
thanks for the offer and I will take it. I send you an email a few weeks back to coner working on fridays that way I can trade it for track time and ride with you guys this season. Either way I will be riding with lstd this season.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:53 PM   #13
tomLSTD
LSTD Mob Cappo

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlaleal View Post
thanks for the offer and I will take it. I send you an email a few weeks back to coner working on fridays that way I can trade it for track time and ride with you guys this season. Either way I will be riding with lstd this season.
Very good we'll see you there for sure then!
Old 01-22-2009, 11:52 PM   #14
Predator04
Proud Former Marine!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07R1 street bike
07R1 Racebike
08GSXR-750 streetbike.... Totalled

Ill keep you posted I just changed to slicks and will be at oak hill this weekend testing them on the R1, on the 600 I am stickin with dot's. I feel that the slick let me get more aggressive with speed throughout the corner and a more aggressive drive on the other side. As always my riding is a work in progress so Ill keep you posted.
scott
Old 01-26-2009, 05:02 PM   #15
Predator04
Proud Former Marine!

Experience: 2 years

Bike(s):
07R1 street bike
07R1 Racebike
08GSXR-750 streetbike.... Totalled

Yesterday took the R1 up to Oak Hill and scrubed the slicks, the big diff is I could get on the gas WAY earlier and break later and carry more corner speed without pushin the front. The slick was the Bridgestone 17's with a soft front and medium rear. John says that if I liked these the soft and supersoft rears will be pure bike heaven. Slicks are the only things that will go on the 1000 from now on since I dont race it in the SS or SSP class, will continue to ride on the dots on the 600 since it is the superstock bike.
scott
Old 01-26-2009, 05:57 PM   #16
vlaleal

Bike(s):
05 gsxr 600
07 gsxr 600 (track)

Scott, thanks for the info.

Advertisement