MotoHouston.com MotoHouston.com
Register Members List Member Map Media Calendar Garage Forum Home Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MotoHouston.com > General Discussion > Taking it to the Track
Forgot info?

Welcome to MotoHouston.com! You are currently viewing our forums as a guest which gives you limited access to the community. By joining our free community you will have access to great discounts from our sponsors, the ability to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content, free email, classifieds, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, join our community!

Register Today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Like us on Facebook! Regular shirt GIVEAWAYS and more

Advertisement

Share This Thread: 
Subscribe to this Thread Thread Tools
Old 01-21-2009, 05:37 PM   #1
Wormgear

Feedback Rating: (0)

Experience: 10+ years
Trackdays: 10+

Bike(s):
Kawi C-14
07 R6 track

What Do You Want From a Track Day Organization?

I’ve noticed that TD prices vary pretty widely depending on the track and track day organization. In a sampling of the big three in our area for the months of March and April I’ve found the “no discounts” cost to range from about $51 to $72 per hour to be out there. This based on 7, 20 min. sessions per day. Fair enough I’d say for what I get out of it. Other important considerations I can think of are schedule convenience, instruction, track preferences, crowds, lack of crowds, rain policy, number and length of sessions, riding with my pals, trackside support and attitudes. They all figure into it.

So what did I miss?
And
What’s most important to you?

Go on, tell'em what you want.
And don't endorse or complain about any of them by name because if you do, they’ll move or kill this thread.
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
RideSmart Track Day - 7.18.2009 @MSRC - 3.1Mi Track Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 16 07-14-2009 07:19 PM
RideSmart Track Day - ECR Extravaganza 2 - Aug 16-17, 2008 - $100/day + Prizes Ridesmart Ridesmart Motorcycle School 27 08-18-2008 09:11 AM
First TWS (Texas World Speedway) Track Day / RideSmart / Memorial Day '08 maxgs General Discussion (Moto Related) 14 07-14-2008 08:47 AM
RideSmart Track Day @ TWS (Texas World Speedway) 5.26.08 - Memorial Day!!! - Roll Call Ridesmart Taking it to the Track 6 04-09-2008 06:07 PM
RideSmart Track Day Sep. 5th. Any new track newbies wanna go? roro Events, Meets and Rides 10 08-22-2005 09:42 PM
Advertisement
Old 01-21-2009, 05:53 PM   #2
ileono918
On hiatus

Feedback Rating: (4)

Experience: 1-3 months
Trackdays: 1

Easy, more bang for my buck & Date.

I like the 30-30 format with small groups. However they are more costly. Unfortunately only two organizations have that structure and they are track specific.

I don't mind riding if the groups are small, I don't like crowded tracks. For TD not to overcrowd their groups, they make adjustments in the costs, which as I mention I don't mind to pay a little extra if the track is not that crowed.

Finally, I feel more related to one TD organization more than the others because I feel part of the family, know the instructors and the regulars riding with them.
ileono918 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #3
The_Gunslinger
Kamakasi

Experience: 9 years

Bike(s):
'07 zx6r
'02 xr250r

cheap, pay per lap.

instructors & a rolling garage to help out.
The_Gunslinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:55 PM   #4
1slocbr
Banned

Feedback Rating: (2)

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #5
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
everything lstd provides in theres...

ps theres a cool new toy i might get to play with that will students will LOVE

its nothing dirty fckers

Old 01-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #6
MudBug
Banned

Feedback Rating: (3)

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:02 PM   #7
Romeo36
Mother****ersi'llkillyou

Bike(s):
sv650,rc51,gsxr750,6oo,sdg107

Send a message via AIM to Romeo36
Quote:
Originally Posted by MudBug View Post
right now I just want to ride.
you sound like the kid from that honda commercial

"i just wanna ride"
Old 01-21-2009, 06:12 PM   #8
MudBug
Banned

Experience: 6 years
Trackdays: 6

Bike(s):
1994 kawi zx7
1991 DR250

Member Garage

User is banned

MudBug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 07:35 PM   #9
cdill35

Feedback Rating: (5)

Bike(s):
2014 Phoenix 921 Pro XP w/ Merc 250 ProXS
11 Yam Zuma 125
Specialized Stumpy

Kind of hard not to mention names of organizations...but I will try.

1. I like to know, on a personal level, the instructors and riders at the events. There is one org. that I have not rode with, because I do not know anyone there. I know thier screen names, but that's it. I dont see them at meet and greets and I dont see them on weekend rides.

2. I dont like overcrowded grids. If the grids are packed, and I am running into a shitload of traffic with ridiculous passing rules, the price better be cheap. I will not pay upwards of $200.00 and not even be able to get a few clean laps in.

3. The tracks they visit makes a big difference, I will ride with whomever at MSRH and TWS (Texas World Speedway). I love Cresson but don't make every event. If you are at TWS (Texas World Speedway) or MSRH, I will be there.

4. I dont like favoritism. I think every paying customer should be treated the same.

5. I like for instructors and control riders to take control. I dont like to ride in my correct level, with people that dont belong there. Way too much of that goes on, IMO, with one group in particular.

6. Seat time is huge. There is an organization that runs 30/30 at my fav track. Wanna talk about getting some one on one and really improving! I'd gladly pay more than the next person for that kind of time.

7. I'll be racing some this year, so I think the pre race events are sweet.

8. I like for emails and phone calls to be returned. Simple . Sometimes, seems like pulling teeth.

9. Mainly though, I like to see reps from the orgs. in person, out and about. It kind of eliminates that holier thou online persona I sense sometimes. I know that certain, if not all, orgs frown on backroads, spirited street riding, but seriously, there are about 10 of us, that are hooked on the track, because we met reps on those rides. I went to the track, because I wanted to ride twisties like those dudes did. Right or wrong, that is how I got there.

Anyway, but what do I know? Just my humble opinion.
cdill35 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:06 PM   #10
Brian f.

Bike(s):
06 CRF450 Tard FOR SALE!!!!!!
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike
Racecar 8.02 @ 169 FOR SALE, not for faint of heart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ileono918 View Post
Easy, more bang for my buck & Date.

I like the 30-30 format with small groups. However they are more costly. Unfortunately only two organizations have that structure and they are track specific.

I don't mind riding if the groups are small, I don't like crowded tracks. For TD not to overcrowd their groups, they make adjustments in the costs, which as I mention I don't mind to pay a little extra if the track is not that crowed.

Finally, I feel more related to one TD organization more than the others because I feel part of the family, know the instructors and the regulars riding with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

1. I like to know, on a personal level, the instructors and riders at the events. There is one org. that I have not rode with, because I do not know anyone there. I know thier screen names, but that's it. I dont see them at meet and greets and I dont see them on weekend rides.

2. I dont like overcrowded grids. If the grids are packed, and I am running into a shitload of traffic with ridiculous passing rules, the price better be cheap. I will not pay upwards of $200.00 and not even be able to get a few clean laps in.

3. The tracks they visit makes a big difference, I will ride with whomever at MSRH and TWS (Texas World Speedway). I love Cresson but don't make every event. If you are at TWS (Texas World Speedway) or MSRH, I will be there.

4. I dont like favoritism. I think every paying customer should be treated the same.

5. I like for instructors and control riders to take control. I dont like to ride in my correct level, with people that dont belong there. Way too much of that goes on, IMO, with one group in particular.

6. Seat time is huge. There is an organization that runs 30/30 at my fav track. Wanna talk about getting some one on one and really improving! I'd gladly pay more than the next person for that kind of time.

8. I like for emails and phone calls to be returned. Simple . Sometimes, seems like pulling teeth.

9. Mainly though, I like to see reps from the orgs. in person, out and about. It kind of eliminates that holier thou online persona I sense sometimes. I know that certain, if not all, orgs frown on backroads, spirited street riding, but seriously, there are about 10 of us, that are hooked on the track, because we met reps on those rides. I went to the track, because I wanted to ride twisties like those dudes did. Right or wrong, that is how I got there.

I know we arent supposed to state names and such, but im still kinda new to the Texas orgs...............that being said, could someone please pm me which 2 orgs and which 2 tracks this is in effect please?

I too will pay extra to not have an ton of folks on the track. BUT i will only pay that extra if that is GUARANTEED and not just an advertising pitch
Brian f. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:14 PM   #11
WhoDoIThinkIAm
Banned

Bike(s):
2003 Bimota Tesi 2D,
2006 GSXR1000,
2004 Honda CRF450,
2004 Honda CRF150,
Vintage DKW

User is banned

WhoDoIThinkIAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:21 PM   #12
1fastchevy
Bout Time

Feedback Rating: (1)

Bike(s):

Nice thread.
1fastchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:29 PM   #13
kenup283

Experience: 1 year
Trackdays: 3

Bike(s):
01 Bandit 1200

Member Garage

Freedom and time on track are the things I liked the most.

The 30 on 30 off min sessions were great for me as a first timer the dedicated Novice or Reg day with a wide amount of freedom let me foucus on my own riding and being smooth and consistient. Respect and maintaining an out were the key lessons rather than worring about breaking any rules or getting caught which would have been distracting and too much like ridding on the street.

That said I will be riding with the rest of them this year but I did like that format to get my start.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:34 PM   #14
Mr Richards
Insert Clever Quote Here

Bike(s):
2005 Yamaha R1 (Street)
2005 Yamaha R1 (Track)

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdill35 View Post

+1 . Nice write up.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:39 PM   #15
matemike
Grip it 'n' Rip it!

Experience: 5 years

Bike(s):
2007 GSXR 750
2007 GSXR 600...tracked out

Member Garage

First and foremost, it's the scheduled dates that i look for, not so much the organization or the price. Working offshore on a 28/28 days rotation allows a 50/50 chance that i can even attend the TD.

Next it's location. I'll only ride at GSS and MSRH because they're so close...I know I know...call me spoiled!

But features that I've come to really enjoy and depend on are the free lunches, great instructors, the comrodarie(sp) in the paddocks, re-visiting with the folks I've come to know, etc. I also prefer the 7X20 minute sessions...10 or 12 laps at a time are plenty enough to ware me out. I usually just ride 6 of teh sessions anyway...my favorite is always the 3rd session...right before lunch.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #16
Brian f.

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike

Can anyone speak on who usually limits the number of riders per level to the smallest number?? Again, if this is taboo, pm again, but im more interested in who has the least amount of traffic "policies." I relize some orgs are cheaper than others but are they offsetting the cheapness by more numbers going out per session???

Ive been on Cresson with an org and it was what seemed to be jam packed and very frustrating.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:01 AM   #17
Brian f.

Bike(s):
2007 1000RR
K8 750 Track bike

Apparently everyone takes this quite seriously, i woke up to 7 pm;s this morning, go me!!!!!!

Thanks to all for the input and advice, thanks to the trackday orgs for giving us all the oppurtunity to ride and have options to explore, im sure i speak for most everyone when i say its appreciated.
Old 01-22-2009, 10:18 AM   #18
SCRC John
Why am I not a MH sponsor

Member Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian f. View Post
Apparently everyone takes this quite seriously
You have no idea, stick around a little while
SCRC John is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #19
dbuck
Stayin' Young

Bike(s):
02 Honda Superhawk

Send a message via AIM to dbuck
Seat time, Organization as far as sticking to the schedule, prefer the track to not be overcrowded, constructive criticism, and a reasonable price. You will see that some orgs substitute a low price and then "crowd" the track. It pretty much all boils down to seat time and cost overall though. And a "severe weather policy" would be great, but I don't see that happening.
dbuck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 10:50 AM   #20
1slocbr
Banned

Bike(s):
junk grand
junk 6

User is banned

1slocbr is offline   Reply With Quote